Maintenance Notes

I'm just curious as to what the point is of being able to leave a maintenance note on a cache if the cache owner can just delete it and not maintain the cache?

I'm in an area with a lot of very old caches, from long time cachers that have moved away. Now most of them have been adopted, but I find almost everyone of them needs some type of maintenance. In an area of harsh winters, in spring these are pretty damp and contents turn to mold quite quickly.

I don't mind helping out, drying containers, bringing a few new containers, zip locs, log sheets ..... but is it really fair to have 3 or 4 hundred placed caches, then never maintain them?

I was advised to post a maintenance note on one that I knew someone removed with the intent of replacing it, but when I spoke to him, said he wasn't gonna bother. So I made a maintence note, which was deleted by the owner, and this time, received a 'spoken down to' email. Last time he just deleted the note, and no comment. I've never been harsh about this, just really thought I was helping by letting the guy know the state of these.

I realize now that I can just ignore this guys caches, but it brings the game down when you introduce the sport to new people, and they too, run into the same moldy caches.

What gives?

If you posted a needs maintenance and it was deleted and they spoke down to you about it, then i may post a SBA. If they are unwilling to maintain it, then it needs archived.

Maybe they deleted the log and maintained the cache?

The maintenance log is good for owners that care about their caches.

Posting a 'needs maintenance" log also sets a flag on the cache it needs some TLC. The only way to remove the flag is to post an 'owner maintained' log type. Simply deleting the NM log will not reset the attribute.

And that attribute catches the eye of other seekers so they can see that there is a problem and decide if they wish to hunt the cache.

I'm just curious as to what the point is of being able to leave a maintenance note on a cache if the cache owner can just delete it and not maintain the cache?

I think the idea is that a 'needs maintance' log also adds a special attribute the cache page. (which can only be removed when the cache owner either posts an 'owner maintance' log, or goes in and edits the attributes of the cache page). If that flag doesn't get removed, it helps single out that cache as having a missing owner and possiably needing some attention... like to be adopted, or archived and retrieved.

As for the log being deleted, that owner isn't missing. If you've been polite and waited a goodly amount of time you might move to the next thing and post 'Needs Archived' log. Even if they delete that, a copy email already got sent to the reviewer so they should in time check up on the cache.

Or if your worried they won't take constructive criticism well :D, you could just write an email directly to the area reviewer.

If they don't respond to the needs maintenance log, then you post a Should Be Archived log which is copied to the local cache reviewer as well.

Only if the NM log is because the cache is missing. Otherwise it creates litter. Damp logs etc. are a nuisance but they don't prevent the cache from being found and otherwise making for a fun day. Also just because the owner is rude and delets a persons NM log doesn't mean that cache isn't viable or the owner's not going to maintain it.

Oh, and as a matter of policy (and good policy at that given the circumstances I work with on my caches) I do not post that I've ever done maintance on my caches. There are exceptions.

Edited by Renegade Knight

If they don't respond to the needs maintenance log, then you post a Should Be Archived log which is copied to the local cache reviewer as well.

I agree. Personally, I would appreciate being notified that there was a problem with a cache of mine. In fact, if I see several dnfs in a row, particularly from experienced cachers, I will visit the cache and post a note confirming that all is OK. To me that is just being responsible.

Seeing a NM is a message to avoid a cache.

Only if the NM log is because the cache is missing. Otherwise it creates litter. Damp logs etc. are a nuisance but they don't prevent the cache from being found and otherwise making for a fun day. Also just because the owner is rude and delets a persons NM log doesn't mean that cache isn't viable or the owner's not going to maintain it.

Oh, and as a matter of policy (and good policy at that given the circumstances I work with on my caches) I do not post that I've ever done maintance on my caches. There are exceptions.

I can see your point that cache owners aren't required to notify anyone when they've done maintance, but I can also see how not responding to requests/questions could viewed as(?) lack of attention??

I personally don't bother using 'owner maintance' logs, if theres something I want to post I'll use a note. That said, I would certainly get rid of the attribute set by 'needs maintance' since I know locally those things are used to key in on 'problem caches'. Clearly if someone reads threw the logs etc they'll know the issue was corrected, but thats a waste of someone elses time :rolleyes: .

I appreciate the feedback. That's why I asked. I meant well, in just trying to let the owner know when I knew the cache was gone. But being who I am really ...... I'll just avoid his caches from here on in. I learned a long time ago that it takes all kinds of people to make this wonderful world. Some are just twisted a little tighter than others!

Only if the NM log is because the cache is missing. Otherwise it creates litter. Damp logs etc. are a nuisance but they don't prevent the cache from being found and otherwise making for a fun day.

I've only posted one NM entry and that was for a plastic cache container that had been damaged and had a huge crack down the one side, contained an inch of water, logs were completely soaked and the cache had no chance of ever keeping things dry. Should I not have logged that as a NM and just described the condition in the find log? I logged it as an NM because the container itself was damaged. I've come across quite a few caches where it was damp but the container was intact and still serviceable--those seemed fine to me.

I can see your point that cache owners aren't required to notify anyone when they've done maintance, but I can also see how not responding to requests/questions could viewed as(?) lack of attention??...

When someone emails me direclty I normally answer. If the post a log NM or regular I may ask a qeustion to clarify what they say in the log so I know if a trip is warranted or not.

Only if the NM log is because the cache is missing. Otherwise it creates litter. Damp logs etc. are a nuisance but they don't prevent the cache from being found and otherwise making for a fun day.

I've only posted one NM entry and that was for a plastic cache container that had been damaged and had a huge crack down the one side, contained an inch of water, logs were completely soaked and the cache had no chance of ever keeping things dry. Should I not have logged that as a NM and just described the condition in the find log? I logged it as an NM because the container itself was damaged. I've come across quite a few caches where it was damp but the container was intact and still serviceable--those seemed fine to me.

Your regular find log could have mentioned the container condition as well.

I supposed the NM log creating an attribute would let people filter out caches based on peoples logs. Some people are allergic to caches in less than pristine condition.

I've seen a lot of abuse of the "Needs Maintenance" function. And this is sad. "It's too dangerous." "There are people getting high nearby." "This cacher once hid a cache near me, and didn't maintain it." "The log is a tiny bit damp." "I couldn't find it." "The coords are 70 feet off!"

But OP asks specific questions: "The cache soaking wet, and the owner has not maintained it." (I'll be generous and give him six months.) Okay SBA! "Owner has hundreds of caches and never maintains any of them." Got a couple of them nearby. I wonder why the reviewers ever list any more from these people! SBA.

If it needs to be done, then use "Needs Maintenance", but use it judiciously. And, yes, pulpy masses can be signed, or have a page added. Not every (nor even most) caches are going to be in pristine condtion. Life happens. Sometimes there will be rats or bears nearby.

Ok, so maybe we are noobs in this arena, but here I go. We have placed 12 caches in our area, we maintain them every other weekend. When we had a more experienced cacher write a "needs maintenance note on the log, we immediately drove to the cache. He also emailed us via our profile. We found that our very 1st cache that we had placed was GONE. We always carry new caches to replace our caches should they come up needing something, or replaced. We welcome it when someone takes the time to tell us that something is out of order. That being said though, we have never "replaced" a cache we thought was "missing", too pretentious to think we are the seekers with the best skills. We have placed new log sheets, plastic ziplock bags, and yes, even replaced a container that was ran over by a lawnmower. We will then post our find, mention our repairs, then email the owner that we did maintenance. There is an guy here that can't get out to his caches because he was in a car accident, and we have helped him keep them going until he recovers from his injuries. We would not have known that he needed help if we had not emailed him that we did some maintenance on one of his caches. We have always been thanked for doing maintenance on others caches. Some people play differently, we are learning that the "rules" we play by might not be the "rules" that other people play by. Not wrong, just different than our play. No skin off our noses. :rolleyes: