How do you "Remember" a found cache?

I'm curious if people have a special way to "save" found caches.

When I return from a days caching I like to print out a "printer friendly" copy of the cache page. I always take a few digital pics of each cache I find, so I pick the one I think represents the cash best and print out a copy of it. I take my cache page and right the date I found the cache, the #of the find and who was with me on the hunt. I put the page, pic and any swag I traded for (I always take small items that best represent the cache best) in a zip lock.

I also like to upload all the pics I take into a folder with the name of the cache and send it to Google's Picsa site. I keep the pics privite because they contain spoilers. Then if I want to show people the fun of geocaching I can easily show them the pics from any computer.

I use Geocaching.com to record everything.

If I take any photos I want to share, I post them with my log, and if not they go into my digital photo archives on hard drive, and eventually to CD-R hard copy.

A cacher in my area makes big scrapbooks of all their hunts, with photos for each cache.

We keep a caching log book with us. We record our cache found #. The GC#. Sometimes the cache name. The time we visited. What we took/left. And anything special like if it needed maintenance. Then we go home and write the logs at the end of the day. We use the online logs to record the details. They stand a better chance of lasting longer than our notebook.

Sometimes we upload pictures to the cache pages.

When I return from a days caching I like to print out a "printer friendly" copy of the cache page. I always take a few digital pics of each cache I find, so I pick the one I think represents the cash best and print out a copy of it. I take my cache page and right the date I found the cache, the #of the find and who was with me on the hunt. I put the page, pic and any swag I traded for (I always take small items that best represent the cache best) in a zip lock.

I also like to upload all the pics I take into a folder with the name of the cache and send it to Google's Picsa site. I keep the pics privite because they contain spoilers. Then if I want to show people the fun of geocaching I can easily show them the pics from any computer.

I use a personal Travel Bug that I log through each and every cache, including revisits. It's tedious and doesn't show the actual mileage but I stay true to the logging.

Your way looks a whole lot more rewarding and interesting then mine.

Here's one that I'm surprised hasn't come up yet: I import the My Finds PQ into a GSAK database and can then export the data into any file format imaginable... Usually to create maps of places I've been across the state or even the world. The data can easily be manipulated to look for trends such as number of finds per state or farthest finds from home, to name a few examples. Maps be handy not only for remembering where I've been, but also for planning future excursions.

I clean them up and place them on a self in my den where I can sit back and admire them!!! :P:P:P

What's that you say????? I'm not supposed to take them?!?!? Whoops!!!!! My bad!!!!!!! ;):anibad:;)

Edited by eagletrek

weirdly i just remember them! i can't remember what i did last week half the time but ask me for the location of a cache i did three years ago and i'll take you right there ;):anibad:

I'm with nobby here... probably better than 75% of the caches on my found list, you show me the cache page and I can tell you where to park, what route to avoid, and where you will find the cache.

Once you get several hundred or thousand finds under your belt, you will have quite a large collection of paper and swag to track. I think digital is the way to go. Unless you can remember that a specific cache you're looking for was find #247, it could be difficult to work with a large archive.

When you add the physical swag for each cache, you might was well go ahead and convert your daughter's bedroom into a library/storage area!

weirdly i just remember them! i can't remember what i did last week half the time but ask me for the location of a cache i did three years ago and i'll take you right there :anibad:;)

I'm with nobby here... probably better than 75% of the caches on my found list, you show me the cache page and I can tell you where to park, what route to avoid, and where you will find the cache.

Unless you are autistic you probably wont remember the day/date/time or what was found/traded though.

I'm surprised to hear that you bag up the swag you traded for. I tend to trade for things I like and then eventually put them into another cache since I think it's something somebody else might like as well.

I carry a small spiral notebook and note the date, cache name, if it was a FTF, if I traded and, if so, what I traded, if the cache had anything special about it, if the area was really nice, etc. Many caches aren't really very memorable at all. I keep a private bookmark list of my FTF caches and also one for the virtual caches I've done since I really (really, really) like those.

I had far too much fun in the '70s so I only have 4 brain cells to work with (holding up 3 fingers). I can't remember all of the caches I've done right off the top of my head but, if I look back at my online log, I seem to be able to recall them pretty well. I did, however, manage to send a friend waaaaaaaaaaay out of his way for a cache by telling him it was in one general location when it was somewhere else completely. Sigh........

Edited by Thrak

Some caches you just don't want to remember, but most are worth a second thought. I can usually remember a cache; but if not, I usually look at the hint. It is usually more specific and quickly brings back the memories.

Thrak - about that 70s thing. I enjoyed the 60s. It does NOT get any better with age. Groovy!

I always carry a notepad and scribble down at least one memorable thing about the cache. Or I try to. Sometimes the cache is so nondescript, I forget! But I make a point of trying to leave a unique, interesting log for each cache, and this helps. :D

If you use GSAK, there is a handy note pop-up that will allow you to save notes with a cache AND helps with logging caches. VERY cool feature. I believe you hit Ctrl - T to bring it up. I believe you can even save images with the notes in GSAK.

I use that some, but mostly we take pictures at notable caches. For Christmas last year, I painted a cheap photo album with the same camo scheme I use on caches I hide. I gave that to my wife, filled with pictures from each of the caches we had done from the previous ~6 months. We don't take pics at every cache, but when we do, I get them made and add them to the book with the date and cache name. It's really need to see the pics from time to time and see the kids growing up!

If you use GSAK, there is a handy note pop-up that will allow you to save notes with a cache AND helps with logging caches. VERY cool feature. I believe you hit Ctrl - T to bring it up. I believe you can even save images with the notes in GSAK.

I use that some, but mostly we take pictures at notable caches. For Christmas last year, I painted a cheap photo album with the same camo scheme I use on caches I hide. I gave that to my wife, filled with pictures from each of the caches we had done from the previous ~6 months. We don't take pics at every cache, but when we do, I get them made and add them to the book with the date and cache name. It's really need to see the pics from time to time and see the kids growing up!

Great information. I just asked about including photos in GSAK right before checking your post. It works great. Thank you.