Emails

charles_city_biker

I've been having problems recieving email notications on my geocaches. Is anybody else having this problem? Can someone help me?

This is a recurring problem with various ISP's due to the volume of emails generated from GS. The most common fix is to setup a gmail account as your GS account and then auto forward from the gmail account to your normal email account. Worked for me and a number of people I know or have heard about.

;)

Not having any problems here. Been getting find notifications and emails from other users regularly. PQs seem to be coming in a timely manner now too. I receive through two email servers. One is a county government server, and the other is the server I rent space for web sites on, so both are pretty responsive.

If a couple of you getting slow emails want to test to see if it is your email provider's server that is the issue, PM me. I can set up an email account for you to test with on my server and you can temporarily change your email address here on GC.com to that address.

I've been chasing this issue myself and I believe we have finally figured out where the problem is occurring. I believe it's a configuration glitch with the Groundspeak servers.

Many inbound mail servers now do a sender address verification (to check that mail being sent to a user appears to come from a valid sender). It does this by opening an SMTP channel to the sending "domain" mail server (which in this case would be the mail servers for geocaching.com since the messages appear to come from noreply@geocaching.com) and attempting to issue a RCPT TO or VRFY command. Servers which support this ability will reply "OK" if the address is valid or reply with a rejection if it is not. Those servers that don't support validation will always reply "OK" (i.e. it doesn't do any check and will accept mail for any address and reject it later in the delivery process -- a source of another kind of spam redirection).

It would appear that somewhere late last month, the address from which notifications get sent either changed or it got de-listed from wherever the server checks for mailbox validity. As such, recipient servers now reject the messages as follows:

550-Verification failed for <noreply@geocaching.com>

550-Called: 66.150.167.155

550-Sent: RCPT TO:<noreply@geocaching.com>

550-Response: 550 <noreply@geocaching.com>: Recipient address rejected: Blocked

550 Sender verify failed

To resolve this issue, a dummy mailbox for this address needs to be created (which can just throw away mail sent to it) or the directory where mailbox validation is performed by the geocaching.com mail server needs to define the address noreply@geocaching.com as a valid address.

As several have mentioned recent upgrades, I suspect that this mailbox either recently got deleted from the geocaching.com mail server or the mail gateway software for geocaching.com was upgraded to support this address validation capability (where it didn't before) and now this missing mailbox shows up as a validation error.

For now, I've redirected my notifications mail to another mailbox hosted at a provider that doesn't do the inbound validation check, but hopefully someone at Groundspeak will get the message and understand what they need to do to fix the problem.

Since the upgrade i have received emails although lately i have not received them.

My provider is ATT/Yahoo and i have not had problems with them before.

**Edit to add the i receive my PQ's and also my weekly gc.com email.**

Edited by knight2000

the only email i've been getting is the weekly LOG. i've not gotten anything on my tbs, watchlists or hides.

i apparently am not as techy as everyone else and have no idea what you are talking about as far as no replies and stuff. i use a yahoo email address. can anyone tell me how to get the emails in a way i might understand? :)

Edited by leasummer

Since the upgrade i have received emails although lately i have not received them.

My provider is ATT/Yahoo and i have not had problems with them before.

**Edit to add the i receive my PQ's and also my weekly gc.com email.**

That's right ... those are sent from an email address other than the noreply@geocaching.com one, so they continue to work.

the only email i've been getting is the weekly LOG. i've not gotten anything on my tbs, watchlists or hides.

i apparently am not as techy as everyone else and have no idea what you are talking about as far as no replies and stuff. i use a yahoo email address. can anyone tell me how to get the emails in a way i might understand? :rolleyes:

You're having the same problem ... you can't fix it as it's a Groundspeak issue. Tell them to read this thread (I sent their support forum the same information, but heard nothing back so who knows if they are listening).

About the only thing you can do is try sending your messages to a different email provider (not sure if Hotmail or Gmail are in the same boat or not).

I've been having problems recieving email notications on my geocaches. Is anybody else having this problem? Can someone help me?

I have the same problem in germany. My Provider told me that it is a geocaching problem.

The GC-mailserer tells that it does not send any mail and so the address norepl@geocaching.com is blocked by my provider. (possible SPAM - log 3)

Other request are answerd by the (log 2)

log 2

2007-06-11 09:36:22 1HxeSD-00068x-9D <= contact@geocaching.com U=joester P=local-bsmtp S=1974 id=014a01c7abfb$3b9749a0$94a79642@Groundspeak.com T="[GEO] Copy of email to Die C-SAU Bande"

2007-06-11 09:36:22 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1HxeSD-00068x-9D

2007-06-11 09:36:22 1HxeSD-00068x-9D => geocaching.com <geocaching.com@xxxxx.de> R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery

2007-06-11 09:36:23 1HxeSD-00068x-9D => xxx.xxxx@xxxxx.de <geocaching.com@xxxxx.de> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=smtp.email.vodafone.de [139.7.28.130] X=TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256

2007-06-11 09:36:23 1HxeSD-00068x-9D Completed

log 3

2007-06-12 23:53:05 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] sender verify fail for <noreply@geocaching.com>: response to "RCPT TO:

<noreply@geocaching.com>" from barracuda.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.155] was: 550 <noreply@geocaching.com>: Recipient address rejected: Blocked

so it is not a bug it is a new geocaching 'feature'

hth

Udo

I've just discovered this problem. Thought nobody was hitting our caches! Been receiving emails for my TB's and any watchlists but none for our own caches.

I contacted geocaching site but they told me the following -

I'm sorry that you aren't receiving the emails you should. There could be any number of causes for this unfortunately. Here are a couple things to look into...

Sometimes emails from geocaching.com are filtered to a seperate folder from your main inbox.

Some ISP's will blacklist geocaching.com and label us as a 'bulk sender'. This is true and false. While we do send emails in bulk, these filters do not distinguish between solicited and unsolicited bulk email. If this is the case you will need to contact your ISP and ask them to allow email from these IP addresses:

These are the originating IPs for all mail from Geocaching.com.

You might also want to consider posting your issue to our Web Site forum. Often times, issues like yours can be widespread so there may be others experiencing similar issues as you. Here is a direct link http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=8 .

I hope this helps.

Eric

Groundspeak, Inc.

So I've contacted by ISP (awaiting reply) and have visited for the first time the forums (something good has come out of it!).

Anyway, thought it would help to mention this. I'm going to contact them again with the details of this thread.

Cheers

Scooby Doo