Local Cacher stealing/removing damaged caches

We are having a problem with a cacher who has over 1,000 "finds" who just loves to pounce on any cache which he feels is not suitable. A number of us have asked him to at least leave a note saying he removed it and would be contacting the owner but hasn't so far.

As sample of the posts we have left

GC10J1K

May 31 by "name blanked out for privacy" (1920 found)

(#1913) It looks like the last cacher found most of this and left it in a pile. I found a lid, the log, and a few insignificant trade items.

In lieu of the comment left on a nearby cache by the same cache owner, regarding them not getting around to replace it, and figuring they wouldn't be by here to replace this one (or to remove the remains of the cache), I removed it for them. The log was pulp and the main part of the container was nowhere to be found.

Thanks so much for the cache!

LifeOnEdge! and Hilda Dog!

He actually made 3 trips to the previous cache mentioned with repairing or replacing contents. Just took them. What can be done to improve the situation? Nice requests have gone unanswered except in a negative way.

Edited by Frozen Buns

I looked at the logs for that cache and it seems as if he found a pile of geotrash which is the same as litter at that point. He logged the fact that he had removed it so he didn't "steal" anything since it seems that all that was left was garbage.

I would have to have seen the cache debris in order to make a determination as to the proper procedure but it is commonly considered good form to remove trash. As long as a "needs maintenance" note is immediately posted to let the owner and others know that the cache is gone this is no different than when a cache is missing for other reasons.

Edited by Thrak
We are having a problem with a cacher who has over 1,000 "finds" who just loves to pounce on any cache which he feels is not suitable. A number of us have asked him to at least leave a note saying he removed it and would be contacting the owner but hasn't so far.

GC10J1K

(#1913) It looks like the last cacher found most of this and left it in a pile. I found a lid, the log, and a few insignificant trade items.

In lieu of the comment left on a nearby cache by the same cache owner, regarding them not getting around to replace it, and figuring they wouldn't be by here to replace this one (or to remove the remains of the cache), I removed it for them. The log was pulp and the main part of the container was nowhere to be found.

"name blanked out for privacy"

He actually made 3 trips to the previous cache mentioned with repairing or replacing contents. Just took them. What can be done to improve the situation? Nice requests have gone unanswered except in a negative way.

Missed one... or were you really trying to protect their privacy at all? Anyone who wanted to know who it was just had to go to the cache page and look.

While I agree that the cacher in question shouldn't go pulling other people's caches, I think your response was a lot harsher than it needed to be. After all, you'll attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. I quote:

...It is really very inconsiderate it of you to abscond with other peoples caches....I saw that you had... “Stolen” it. That is the correct word for it. And now you have done it again at Homie leaves Proctor.

If you have an issue you feel is not being taken care of you need to notify the Prime Reviewer for the area. Not just take it upon yourself to REMOVE a cache.

I spent over 1 ½ hours with a fellow cacher looking for Homie Leaves Proctor without finding anything just to return to the computer and find you had again “Stolen” another cache...Instead of stealing other persons caches why don’t you place some of your own and see how much work it is to maintain them.

Doesn't sound like "nice" requests to me. Sounds like you're telling a well-intentioned cacher that they are a thief.

I looked at the logs for that cache and it seems as if he found a pile of geotrash which is the same as litter at that point. He logged the fact that he had removed it so he didn't "steal" anything since it seems that all that was left was garbage.

I would have to have seen the cache debris in order to make a determination as to the proper procedure but it is commonly considered good form to remove trash. As long as a "needs maintenance" note is immediately posted to let the owner and others know that the cache is gone this is no different than when a cache is missing for other reasons.

Don't confuse personal property with litter.

Take those same contents and put them in a container and it's swag.

The difference is a gladware container that the thief er...good samaratin could have placed and done a more publicly acceptable service.

GC10J1K

I too looked at the cache page and found this log, almost a month earlier.

May 5. I found a round camo lid. The original color was purple I think. No other contents or parts of the container. I heard the guard turkey, but I guess my 1973 camper was too old and ugly for him to guard.

I guess you should check on it.

There might be more history than meets the eye here but I know this is probably not the answer you were hoping to get. I don't see any reason for the cacher to leave the exposed "parts" there to be reduced to geo-rubble, especially since it had been in that condition for some time already.

He did the right thing, cleaned it up and reported it. That said, it was great to see the cacher come behind him and replace the entire thing. It would be interesting to contact the cacher that logged the find inbetween the log above and the log you posted and ask what he saw and inquire he didn't report it for the next person.

If there's a villain in this story, it's that guy.

GC10J1K

Greetings,

I know of both parties involved with the issue; 3caseyhunters (the hiders) and LifeOnEdge (the finder). Knowing LOE and his style, nothing wrong was done. He policed up a bunch of geo-trash that once was a cache. If he had a replacement cache with him, he probably would have left one as he has done in the past but it appears he didn't.

Having first hand experience with 3caseyhunters' ability, or should I say "inability", to conduct rapid cache maintenance, I can easily understand why LOE took such action. I can also tell you from first hand experience that the "hiders" need a lesson in terrain appreciation and the impacts of nature before placing any more caches. Most of my DNFs of their caches was due to the fact that their caches had been swept away by storm run-off and/or flooding streams.

What can be done to improve the situation? Have the "hiders" maintain their caches in a better fashion. They should concentrate their efforts on a few well placed and maintained caches, instead of littering the country side with dozens of unmaintained caches!!! :lol::D:angry:

Edited by eagletrek

GC10J1K

I have reviewed your post carefully, along with the relevant logs and the history of the cacher and the cache in question. It looks to me like the geocacher in question fond a pile of geotrash, aka geolitter, in the woods at the prior location of the cache. He did not remove a cache; rather, he CITOed a pile of horrid geolitter from the location. So, what he did was commendable and laudable, and, in fact, a community service. I congratulate him. I would have done the same were I in his shoes, as would almost any geocacher whom I know. And just WHY would you have a problem with that? What exactly does your post tell us about YOU and YOUR values?

GC10J1K

Greetings,

I know of both parties involved with the issue; 3caseyhunters (the hiders) and LifeOnEdge (the finder). Knowing LOE and his style, nothing wrong was done. He policed up a bunch of geo-trash that once was a cache. If he had a replacement cache with him, he probably would have left one as he has done in the past but it appears he didn't.

Having first hand experience with 3caseyhunters' ability, or should I say "inability", to conduct rapid cache maintenance, I can easily understand why LOE took such action. I can also tell you from first hand experience that the "hiders" need a lesson in terrain appreciation and the impacts of nature before placing any more caches. Most of my DNFs of their caches was due to the fact that their caches had been swept away by storm run-off and/or flooding streams.

What can be done to improve the situation? Have the "hiders" maintain their caches in a better fashion. They should concentrate their efforts on a few well placed and maintained caches, instead of littering the country side with dozens of unmaintained caches!!! :lol::angry::)

:blink::lol::D:( Exactly! Thank you! The post from the OP told us a LOT about the OP and his lifestyle and his values, and told us nothing -- other than implying some very positive things once we see the BIG picture -- about the cacher who CITOed the garbage pile.

As sample of the posts we have left ...

Your one example isn't doing much for your cause. Do you have other examples with viable caches?

... What can be done to improve the situation? Have the "hiders" maintain their caches in a better fashion. They should concentrate their efforts on a few well placed and maintained caches, instead of littering the country side with dozens of unmaintained caches!!! :lol::D:angry:

I checked one of your archived caches. You said you would have a new cache set in very short order. You said that in 2005.

My issue isn't with glacially slow cache maintance. It's with no cache maintance ever. By your actions you seem to agree with me. By your words, I'm not so sure.

... What can be done to improve the situation? Have the "hiders" maintain their caches in a better fashion. They should concentrate their efforts on a few well placed and maintained caches, instead of littering the country side with dozens of unmaintained caches!!! :D:D:)

I checked one of your archived caches. You said you would have a new cache set in very short order. You said that in 2005.

My issue isn't with glacially slow cache maintance. It's with no cache maintance ever. By your actions you seem to agree with me. By your words, I'm not so sure.

Yeah, I know!!!!! Shame on me!!!!!! :):D:D But the difference is that I archived it and didn't leave it in a unmaintained condition!!!!!! If you carefully studied my caches, you would have noticed that I archived them in a fairly rapid fashion when I discovered something was wrong or was notified by others that something was wrong. I believe that it's the hider's choice to re-establish an "archived" cache at their leisure.

I did have one, "Onion Dome", of my 80 caches that "Prime Reviewer" had to archive as I was not able to repair the "delicate" cache container in a rapid fashion. Yup, it's a lick on me!!!! Should have archived it myself once I couldn't repair it quickly. Have you ever had this problem??? :lol::(:D

Now I know I don't have to review your cache status as I'm sure that everything's in order. :D:angry::blink:

OBTW, maybe you could tell us what the issue was with GCJQ85 "The Joe Camel Edition" :D:D:lol:

Edited by eagletrek

...Yeah, I know!!!!! Shame on me!!!!!! :(:(:( But the difference is that I archived it and didn't leave it in a unmaintained condition!!!!!! If you carefully studied my caches, you would have noticed that I archived them in a fairly rapid fashion when I discovered something was wrong or was notified by others that something was wrong. I believe that it's the hider's choice to re-establish an "archived" cache at their leisure....

Now I know I don't have to review your cache status as I'm sure that everything's in order. :):):lol:

Who said shame on you? Your cache was fine and I assumed you did as you just explained. I was taking advantage of the fact that you said you would replace the cache quickly but never did since you took time to point out that it's important for others to make quick repairs. That seemed like a contradiction to me. Archiving a cache is not a quick repair. It still needs checked to pick up the cache and verify it's gone, naturally I'm sure that you have done this and done it quickly as you think others should and just neglected or chose not to post as much.

As a review of my caches. I archived one that I have not picked up yet. I will, but I keep forgetting. One I lost due to not getting back to it before the reviewer archived it. July is my next trip to that area. I'll check on it then, even though it's archived. I had thoght I'd get to it faster but my move made it so that I traveled that particular road less. I should have adopted it out. I've learned that I'm faster than my help on some caches placed where I got a local cacher to list them and credit me as co-hider. I also never post when I fix or repair a cache specificly to avoid advertising that it's fixed or repaired. Another cache my maintaining help can't find the cache at all. They thought they had it covered when they watched me place it, but they went to check on it and can't find it. It was a good hide of an ammo can in a rock pile. One of my caches I'm fairly sure has been bulldozed but I'm not going to check on it until construction is complete and the area is more accessable. I'm sure you can find other flaws. But I promise you this. I'm slow all the way around at maintaining them, but I'll get to it, someday.

When you take time to say it's ok to steal personal property (trash in your words) becuase the owner doens't maintain the caches quickly enough and it turns out that you also don't replace caches as quicly s you said you would do (it's been two years)...I just don't think you have a leg to stand on to make that claim. Unless your real point is just the "CITO" angle and it has nothing to do with the speed of maintance.

Unless they have a habit of removing entire caches. regularly. and you can prove it... they did a good thing to remove the trashed bits. Unfortunately, that was all that was left of the cache.

I support their action because their cleanup MADE the owner take action to maintain the cache. Who knows how much longer the owners would have let it rot. :lol:

Having read the logs... were you personally prepared to replace the cache the day you were there? Did you have a replacement container and supplies? What would have been your reaction to a container lid and soggy mess of a log?

Would you have logged a "happy to have found it but it needs some work" log or an "angry at the icky cache" type log for this owner to read?

-J

...Yeah, I know!!!!! Shame on me!!!!!! :):(:( But the difference is that I archived it and didn't leave it in a unmaintained condition!!!!!! If you carefully studied my caches, you would have noticed that I archived them in a fairly rapid fashion when I discovered something was wrong or was notified by others that something was wrong. I believe that it's the hider's choice to re-establish an "archived" cache at their leisure....

Now I know I don't have to review your cache status as I'm sure that everything's in order. :(:(:(

Who said shame on you? Your cache was fine and I assumed you did as you just explained. I was taking advantage of the fact that you said you would replace the cache quickly but never did since you took time to point out that it's important for others to make quick repairs. That seemed like a contradiction to me. Archiving a cache is not a quick repair. It still needs checked to pick up the cache and verify it's gone, naturally I'm sure that you have done this and done it quickly as you think others should and just neglected or chose not to post as much.

As a review of my caches. I archived one that I have not picked up yet. I will, but I keep forgetting. One I lost due to not getting back to it before the reviewer archived it. July is my next trip to that area. I'll check on it then, even though it's archived. I had thoght I'd get to it faster but my move made it so that I traveled that particular road less. I should have adopted it out. I've learned that I'm faster than my help on some caches placed where I got a local cacher to list them and credit me as co-hider. I also never post when I fix or repair a cache specificly to avoid advertising that it's fixed or repaired. Another cache my maintaining help can't find the cache at all. They thought they had it covered when they watched me place it, but they went to check on it and can't find it. It was a good hide of an ammo can in a rock pile. One of my caches I'm fairly sure has been bulldozed but I'm not going to check on it until construction is complete and the area is more accessable. I'm sure you can find other flaws. But I promise you this. I'm slow all the way around at maintaining them, but I'll get to it, someday.

When you take time to say it's ok to steal personal property (trash in your words) becuase the owner doens't maintain the caches quickly enough and it turns out that you also don't replace caches as quicly s you said you would do (it's been two years)...I just don't think you have a leg to stand on to make that claim. Unless your real point is just the "CITO" angle and it has nothing to do with the speed of maintance.

Let's see!!!!! :):):lol: Yep, two legs to stand on!!!! :D:D:D First I never said it was okay to steal personal property. :(:(:( What LOE did was to remove geo-trash. :P:P:P

Second, I attempt to repair or replace all my caches rapidly if I think they are worthy of remaining. In the case of "Onion Dome", a ceramic container which I thought I could adequately repair and return to it's hiding spot, once it was reported as damaged, I immediately disabled it, checked on it within 3 days, and finally removed the bottom piece within five days. Is that fast enough for you???? Once the bottom piece was removed the cache was left disabled as I thought I could repair it rapidly and put it back in service. Having found that the repairs would not render the cache functional for future service, I never re-hid it. My mistake was not to rapidly archive it.

Since the cache container was unique and related to the name, no other replacement would have worked.

What can be done to improve the situation? Have the "hiders" maintain their caches in a better fashion. They should concentrate their efforts on a few well placed and maintained caches, instead of littering the country side with dozens of unmaintained caches!!! :lol::):(

Agreed, problem is how do you get people to raise their behavioural standards and act in a responsible manner and take care of their property, rather than getting all defensive about someone throwing away their trash. Wish I had solution to that one.

If you own a cache you should inspect and perform maintenance every few months, and immediately if someone posts that there is a problem.

Agreed, problem is how do you get people to raise their behavioural standards and act in a responsible manner and take care of their property, rather than getting all defensive about someone throwing away their trash. Wish I had solution to that one.

Natural Selection???? :lol::):(

Edited by eagletrek

So, OP was trolling? Hasn't been back to see the responses? I haven't reviewed the cache in question, but it seems that the geotrash was removed. I did that once. Foud the cache with multiple teeth marks, and strewn across the ground. It was a 'tough' hide, and I had no idea where it was hidden. I notified the owner, who replaced it. When I went back to find it, it was a really tough hide!

...Let's see!!!!! :lol::):( Yep, two legs to stand on!!!! :(:(:P First I never said it was okay to steal personal property. :(:(:) What LOE did was to remove geo-trash. :(:(:(

Second, I attempt to repair or replace all my caches rapidly if I think they are worthy of remaining. In the case of "Onion Dome", a ceramic container which I thought I could adequately repair and return to it's hiding spot, once it was reported as damaged, I immediately disabled it, checked on it within 3 days, and finally removed the bottom piece within five days. Is that fast enough for you???? Once the bottom piece was removed the cache was left disabled as I thought I could repair it rapidly and put it back in service. Having found that the repairs would not render the cache functional for future service, I never re-hid it. My mistake was not to rapidly archive it.

Since the cache container was unique and related to the name, no other replacement would have worked.

Your speed wasn't called into question by me. Your slowness in doing what you said you would do, was pointed out since you were making an issue of speed on another cacher. Maintenance Speed is your issue. Not mine. You brought it up. I just pointed out that the stones you are throwing could hit you by your own standards. Let me make this crystal clear. I think you are fine with your caches, even the cache where you said you would replace the cache quickly and haven't for the past two years is fine.

Based on what people have said it looks like you are right about the cache remains on this cache and that the person who removed them did the right thing. When the OP gives other examples I'll take a look and see.

So, OP was trolling? Hasn't been back to see the responses? I haven't reviewed the cache in question, but it seems that the geotrash was removed. I did that once. Foud the cache with multiple teeth marks, and strewn across the ground. It was a 'tough' hide, and I had no idea where it was hidden. I notified the owner, who replaced it. When I went back to find it, it was a really tough hide!

A Few answers:

1. Yes I carry containers, spare logs, zip locks and swag so that I can repair as much as possible until I can notify the owner of the cache that it needs their maintenance.

2. another example is GC112MA, He went there on more than one occasion without any effort on his part to repair the cache. So that is what really got to me and yes I may have been harsh and I don't usually respond that way to anyone but geeesh why not fix it instead of complain and then take everything.

The lid snapped on, I placed a new log and zip locked after drying the items and notified owner.

3. Don't mean to be mean or question motives but if a cacher removes completely, any or all of a cache a note to that effect until it can be replaced would have helped the situation, he had to of been there just before I was. Very frustrating as having read the logs I took an ammo can with me to fix it, it is in a great location.

4. I have place the ammo can with everything needed with the permission and thanks of 3caseyhunters.

5. I apologize for being out of line if that is everyones opinion but I just feel an effort to clean/repair/replace rather than TAKING would have been better.

6. and yes others have had the same problems with their caches

...Let's see!!!!! :lol::):( Yep, two legs to stand on!!!! :(:(:P First I never said it was okay to steal personal property. :(:(:( What LOE did was to remove geo-trash. :(:(:P

Your speed wasn't called into question by me. Your slowness in doing what you said you would do, was pointed out since you were making an issue of speed on another cacher. Maintenance Speed is your issue. Not mine. You brought it up. I just pointed out that the stones you are throwing could hit you by your own standards. Let me make this crystal clear. I think you are fine with your caches, even the cache where you said you would replace the cache quickly and haven't for the past two years is fine.

Based on what people have said it looks like you are right about the cache remains on this cache and that the person who removed them did the right thing. When the OP gives other examples I'll take a look and see.

I guess you're still not getting the point. If you check my cache logs, you'll note that better that 95% of the time, I conduct repairs on my caches within days of being notified. On "Onion Dome," I checked on it within two days and recovered the broken piece in five days. I would have recovered the broken piece on the first visit but I needed a better instrument to reach it without destroying it.

I stated that I would try to have it back up quickly and then my repairs to the cache proved to be unsuccessful. There was no way to replace the original container with an adequate replacement. Therefore the cache needed to be archived. I'm sorry I couldn't repair it!!!! (Do you feel better???)

So once again, please tell me where I failed you or other cachers when it comes to rapid maintenance??? Okay, if you want to shoot me for posting "my note" that I'd replace it quickly before attempting my repair, fire away.

My comments directed at 3caseyhunters are based on first hand experience with them and their caches. If they'd like to immediately archive all their caches that become trashed, that would be okay with me. However, they're real slow when it comes to checking on and repairing caches that have been reported to them as needing maintenance.

Come on down to Texas and I'll give you a tour!!! :)

A Few answers:

1. Yes I carry containers, spare logs, zip locks and swag so that I can repair as much as possible until I can notify the owner of the cache that it needs their maintenance.

2. another example is GC112MA, He went there on more than one occasion without any effort on his part to repair the cache. So that is what really got to me and yes I may have been harsh and I don't usually respond that way to anyone but geeesh why not fix it instead of complain and then take everything.

The lid snapped on, I placed a new log and zip locked after drying the items and notified owner.

3. Don't mean to be mean or question motives but if a cacher removes completely, any or all of a cache a note to that effect until it can be replaced would have helped the situation, he had to of been there just before I was. Very frustrating as having read the logs I took an ammo can with me to fix it, it is in a great location.

4. I have place the ammo can with everything needed with the permission and thanks of 3caseyhunters.

5. I apologize for being out of line if that is everyones opinion but I just feel an effort to clean/repair/replace rather than TAKING would have been better.

6. and yes others have had the same problems with their caches

I'm glad you've come back and posted!!!! You're right, I think all should read all the logs in order. Once again, I think they'll notice that LOE did the right and courteous thing by removing the geo-trash after the cache owner archived it. LOE wasn't stealing anything and he clearly stated he would place the remains of the cache in one of the owner's other caches.

In the past, LOE and I have butted heads over other issues but in this case, I'm not going to let you bring him down. LOE has displayed great courtesy and patience in handling 3caseyhunter's caches considering their track record. Trust me, you don't want to see LOE's "dark side." :lol::):(

Admittedly, LOE has a unique style with excellent intentions. He may even be considered a geo-puritan. All that aside, LOE assisted us in the adoption of a cache that was muggled then abandoned by a cacher that moved away. The cache was a local favorite and without the help of the accused, would have been archived.

Sorry, had to be away from the computer today, and I really didn't mean to single out just one person though looking back it would seem I did .

Just venting that since this was the first time I had come up against this persons actions, it just seemed he was waiting to pounce on and remove a cache. Didn't see him making any effort to repair or replace, even thought I know it is not his responsibility, as a cacher it just seems you would want to.

Just happened to hit 2 in a row while I was introducing my stepdaughter to caching and ran up against all this first with the GC112MA then the other.

Please don't turn this into a trashing each other as that was not my intention. I really just wanted to know how others handled situations like this.

In the past, LOE and I have butted heads over other issues but in this case, I'm not going to let you bring him down. LOE has displayed great courtesy and patience in handling 3caseyhunter's caches considering their track record. Trust me, you don't want to see LOE's "dark side." :lol::):(

If he has issues with them then why does he bother with their caches? There are plenty of others to find.

If he has issues with them then why does he bother with their caches? There are plenty of others to find.

I don't believe he (LOE) has "issues" with the 3 caseyhunters. I believe he's done them a favor whether they realize it or not. BTW, why shouldn't he be able to seek their caches if they're within his search area????

PS: Learn how to quote

Edited by eagletrek

I don't believe he (LOE) has "issues" with the 3 caseyhunters. I believe he's done them a favor whether they realize it or not. BTW, why shouldn't he be able to seek their caches if they're within his search area????

PS: Learn how to quote

Boy, take a chill pill, I know how to quote, and I didn't say he shouldn't seek their caches, but if I had issues with their caches I would seek out others, there are alot of them in the area.

A note to all: I do not want this to turn into a slug fest. Just wanted advice on how to handle the situation of having a cacher go to a location GC112MA 3 times and not fix it then go to the one I spoke of in the beginning and remove it. If you can post suggestions on how to handle great otherwise I think we are done here. Happy caching to each and everyone.

I'm dealing with two numbers "geniuses" who think the cache we (my hubby, our roomie and I) put together sucks. The guys originally placed it after hubby did a lot of ground work and coded the puzzle. I found a mistake in the puzzle, got the coordinates in the first place, and then moved the cache to a different hide within the 20' maximum mistake variant (more like picked it up, turned 180 and put it back down). So, in a sense, both me and the hubby placed the cache. We chose the location because it was a: close to his work, b: far enough from a fire hydrant as to not be infringing on access, c: not in brambles, and d: yet easy enough for anyone to walk up to it once they decrypted it. 5 Minutes of searching would find it.

Person no 1 flames me for making such a poor cache and not "following the rules as laid out" both for that cache and another of my caches. their log was inflamatory at best. So I deleted it and then had to justify to them why I deleted it!

Person no 2 took offence at the fact that I encrypted the log entry of his in the same cache, then did the passive-aggressive routine in emails to the point where he accused me of having something against him, especially since I dnf'ed one of his caches.

What I really adore about the above two is that one of them at least is retired and both have been caching since the last week of December 2006 at least according to their info. I've been caching for over a year, but had to take a break cause of medical reasons (having a baby does that to a woman). Because they both have several hundred cache finds vs my feeble 70 or so, they believe they know the sport better than I.

I believe the sport is forever changing with all the myriad variants. One of the versions we've heard about I'm thinking about playing along with intrigues me. So do others.

Anyway, I've tried to be civil to these two, but I can't anymore. The guys aren't impressed either. And I want to know what to do about them because they are annoying me.

Edited by mamid
Once again, I think they'll notice that LOE did the right and courteous thing by removing the geo-trash after the cache owner archived it.

There shouldn't be any angst here if this is the way it went down!

wasn't archived at the time.

I now know why Texas kids are failing the TAKS Test!!!!! I suggest you read the logs for GC112MA in chronological order. I have and here's the deal:

17 APR 07 LOE logs find and comments on condition of cache

22 MAY 07 Another cacher logs find and comments on condition of cache

24 MAY 07 LOE posts "Needs Maintenance" note

27 MAY 07 3caseyhunters archive the cache

31 MAY 07 LOE recovers the geo-trash and states he'll drop it off in another of the owners caches

Now tell me that the cache wasn't archived before LOE policed up the trash. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!! :anibad:;);)

I'm dealing with two numbers "geniuses" who think the cache we (my hubby, our roomie and I) put together sucks. The guys originally placed it after hubby did a lot of ground work and coded the puzzle. I found a mistake in the puzzle, got the coordinates in the first place, and then moved the cache to a different hide within the 20' maximum mistake variant (more like picked it up, turned 180 and put it back down). So, in a sense, both me and the hubby placed the cache. We chose the location because it was a: close to his work, b: far enough from a fire hydrant as to not be infringing on access, c: not in brambles, and d: yet easy enough for anyone to walk up to it once they decrypted it. 5 Minutes of searching would find it.

Person no 1 flames me for making such a poor cache and not "following the rules as laid out" both for that cache and another of my caches. their log was inflamatory at best. So I deleted it and then had to justify to them why I deleted it!

Person no 2 took offence at the fact that I encrypted the log entry of his in the same cache, then did the passive-aggressive routine in emails to the point where he accused me of having something against him, especially since I dnf'ed one of his caches.

What I really adore about the above two is that one of them at least is retired and both have been caching since the last week of December 2006 at least according to their info. I've been caching for over a year, but had to take a break cause of medical reasons (having a baby does that to a woman). Because they both have several hundred cache finds vs my feeble 70 or so, they believe they know the sport better than I.

I believe the sport is forever changing with all the myriad variants. One of the versions we've heard about I'm thinking about playing along with intrigues me. So do others.

Anyway, I've tried to be civil to these two, but I can't anymore. The guys aren't impressed either. And I want to know what to do about them because they are annoying me.

And how is this post tied to the OP's thread???? :anibad:;);)

Sorry, had to be away from the computer today, and I really didn't mean to single out just one person though looking back it would seem I did .

Just venting that since this was the first time I had come up against this persons actions, it just seemed he was waiting to pounce on and remove a cache. Didn't see him making any effort to repair or replace, even thought I know it is not his responsibility, as a cacher it just seems you would want to.

Just happened to hit 2 in a row while I was introducing my stepdaughter to caching and ran up against all this first with the GC112MA then the other.

Please don't turn this into a trashing each other as that was not my intention. I really just wanted to know how others handled situations like this.

Not trashing others???? If that was your intent, why did you only delete the hider's identity in your original post and not LOE's????? Yeah, right!!!!!!! I don't know how you play the game up north but don't try this stuff in Central Texas.

Not trashing others???? If that was your intent, why did you only delete the hider's identity in your original post and not LOE's????? Yeah, right!!!!!!! I don't know how you play the game up north but don't try this stuff in Central Texas.

Didn't see the second name listed and as I said before, if he is going to visit a cache more than once, fix it or adopt it.

I think this is enough said on the matter

please close this thread.

...I guess you're still not getting the point....

I got your point several times over. So I'll say it again. From where I stand your caches are fine. It's my point you are missing.

Let me change tact. You were very defensive about your caches when I pointed out something that appeared to contradict a statement you made. Given that you are defensive, possesive, proud, or what have you, you can expect others to be the same, evne when someone comes along and 'takes out the trash'.

Thus taking out the trash may not be perceived as a good thing like you first alluded too. If someone came along and did that for you because you were too slow (in their opinion) I don't think you would enjoy that all that much. That you may say "yeah but this other guy took XXXX amount of time and never did a thing" doesn't change how owners feel about their caches, it may pay a part in when someone should fix the cache or archive it and pull the contents via the sites SBA log if the owner is MIA.

Once again, I think they'll notice that LOE did the right and courteous thing by removing the geo-trash after the cache owner archived it.

There shouldn't be any angst here if this is the way it went down!

If they contacted the owner and had their blessing then there wouldn't be.

If the onwner inteded on doing it themselves. And someone does it for you and doesnt bother talking to you then there would be.

Middle ground is the owner is MIA and can't be contacted and it's been ample time for the owner to have picked it up. Ample time is fuzzy.