PSP

Yes,you can use your PSP for paperless caching.PM a fellow named grenaydr(Check the New England regional forums) and he'll show you how.He'd mentioned it in a thread and I asked him about it.We swapped emails and within two days I had caches on it.You'll need GSAK to do it,and be a premium member for pocket queries.But yes,this can be done and it's a money saver if you've got the PSP already.

Hmmm. Does it use any kind of homebrew and custom firmwares and all that? Or is it simply using html pages that are being viewed via the PSP browser? I'm marginally interested, but as I use a TX on the trail, I can't imagine bringing my PSP out with me.

Wow! Caching with a PSP in hand. Very interesting idea. If anyone comes up with a sample of the data file format needed on the PSP, I'd love to get a generic sample of the file. I have an on-line tool that exports data to different file types and would like to try to build this one in, which would also allow users to get the data file from the internet rather than using a piece of software installed on a PC to convert to it first. IMcachingHomer, PM me if you choose to pursue this. Maybe we can figure out a what for you to do this completely wirelessly.

I use my GPSr to give me GC#, Name, Terrain, Difficulty, Travelbug present (y/n), cache size, and the first 88 characters of the hint decoded and reversed for about 2500 "local" caches. Now if all that proves inadequate my PSP has all of that plus the full description, full hint, last 10 or so log entries, and as a bonus the nearest 5 caches for each cache in my GPSr. (My PSP actually has more caches in it as I don't load multis in the GPSr because I'm usually caching between stops during work, but if I have time I pull a multi from the PSP.)

As for the how-to on getting the info into your PSP...

Assuming you have already mastered PQ's and have GSAK up and running you can use GSAK to output all your caches as HTML files. What it actually generates is a unique page for each cache you choose to output, plus several index pages that allow you to easily navigate all those caches.

1. Tweak GSAK to display your choosen caches and from the menu choose File -> Export -> HTML Files.

2. Set a unique directory to output the "mess" to and choose the indices to generate. (I just generate by name and code which means the main page you load gives you those two options to find the cache page from the main index page.)

3. You will end up with is a directory full of htm files and image files. Copy the entire directory into another unique directory on your psp. (I make a "Caches" directory in the existing "PSP" directory for simplicity.)

4. After all that is transfered into your psp just start your internet browser and type in the following: file:/psp/caches/index.htm. This will pull up the main index file and give you your choice of indices to find your desired cache.

It works out very well and I use it quite often. FWIW, I end up transfering about 2800+ caches into the PSP and it takes about 18 minutes or so because it is so many individual files.

Thanks - I heard they have a GPS for a PSP but its not in the US yet. I'll get it and still use my Magellan in the woods etc.

Since the GPSr add-on isn't available yet there isn't any us mapping software available which basically makes is a bulky etrex. There is a homebrew solution that can interface your existing GPSr or the add-on into it using downloaded maps from google I think, but it sounds like way too much work.