What's wrong?

Okay, I know this is nothing to worry about but I have seen others being "bashed" for placing a cache and not maintaining and/or have many finds behind them. This specific one got on my nerves today. ( i am not saying the cache or owner for a reason) There is a cache that is in TERRIBLE SHAPE, had mold/mildew growing in the garbage bag someone put the container in. Yes it is the container. The co barely has any finds and asked other cachers to bring a container and un disabling based on other feedback instead of go to the cache his or her self. Explain what is wrong? Only took them how long to log back in to the site....a few months....a year?

"and I will check back in two weeks or so to be sure that the maintenance has been done."

Two weeks later after the reviewer was suppose to check to see if any action was taken, nothing ....still counting the weeks... will be 7 weeks this week.

Okay done venting....

I'm not making a whole lot of sense of your post, but I think there should be a time limit or something that only geocachers who have geocached regularly for a year or more can place a cahe. I'm new to this but I think with its groing popularity a lot of johnny-come-latelys will show up, find 2 caches, decide they love it, place a cache, and a month later move on to the johnny-come-lately popular phenomena. IMO, this sport is one of those things that will get worse as it gets more popular. I hope thats not the case. Anyway, I think this goes in line with what you're saying. I know of 2 caches that went out of comission for repairs a month ago when i first started and are still out of comisiion

Non maintance is not a new thing from what I have read on the forum.

As for limiting placing to people with 'caching' experience, just because you have or haven't found many caches doesn't make any difference to your hiding ability or your ability to maintane a cache once it is out there.

What about helping each other out. You know what goes around comes around. If the hide is worth it then and the placer is unable/unavaliable to fix it why not do some repairs your self.

I know of a local cacher here who has helped out when cachers from out of town have had their hides muggeled. Before you say they should only be placed by locals if that was the case here there would not be very many hides at all and no one would start geocaching with nothing to look for.

I also love reading the forums and seeing which hides are linked to and seeing what people have logged and come across many examples of people noticing something needs doing to a cache and just doing it.

Its called community in my book.

Yes in a perfect world the person who placed it should go and fix it as soon as they know there is a problem.

Just because this doesn't always happen doesn't mean we need to bring in restrictions on who can place and who can't.

I totaly understand why you didn't name anyone, I only wonder if they have many hides or not you may decide the best way to deal with them is to ignore their hides.

If there is a prolonged period of non-activity from the owner and the cache is a mess I think that warrants a Needs Archived note.

Edited to add that the first thing to do is contact the owner, which sounds like it has not worked in this case.

Edited by Theseus

"and I will check back in two weeks or so to be sure that the maintenance has been done."

Two weeks later after the reviewer was suppose to check to see if any action was taken, nothing ....still counting the weeks... will be 7 weeks this week.

Oh, so a cache owner abandons a cache and now it's the reviewer's fault that something's "wrong?"

Here is a news bulletin: Reviewers are under NO obligation to search through the caches in their territory to enforce the "Cache Maintenance" guideline. Some do, as a service to their local community, as it helps keep the search pages clean and allows for new caches to be hidden in replacement of caches that are ruined or missing. Others do not, or only check sporadically.

Move someplace where the reviewer doesn't check on temporarily disabled caches and see if your opinion changes.

If you want to attract a reviewer's attention, log a "needs archived."

To the OP-

I would appear that you are quite concerned with this particular cache. Here are my suggestions:

1. If you like the cache in question go and fix it.

2. If you don't like the cache in question log a "Should be Archived".

3. If neither of the above options appeal to you add the cache to your ignore list.

Absolutely nobody is in a position to force a cache hider to maintain their caches!

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Absolutely nobody is in a position to force a cache hider to maintain their caches!

Maybe so,but when you place the cache you need to take the responsibility that comes with cache ownership.

Couldn't agree more about folks being held responsible for their caches, but it appears to me, from personal observation of the forums over the past months, that not many folks involved in caching want to be held responsible for anything. It appears that most would be very comfortable without any rules or guidelines.

Maybe so,but when you place the cache you need to take the responsibility that comes with cache ownership.

Couldn't agree more about folks being held responsible for their caches, but it appears to me, from personal observation of the forums over the past months, that not many folks involved in caching want to be held responsible for anything. It appears that most would be very comfortable without any rules or guidelines.

Major problem, and I disagree that it is due to newbies. Much bigger problem is with people with 100+ caches scattered all over the place in which there is no possibility of regular maintenence. Another example of where numbers is given priority over quality, and a profound lack of personal responsibility on the part of many cachers.

Major problem, and I disagree that it is due to newbies. Much bigger problem is with people with 100+ caches scattered all over the place in which there is no possibility of regular maintenence. Another example of where numbers is given priority over quality, and a profound lack of personal responsibility on the part of many cachers.

We've got this problem with a cacher in the Waco, Texas area. He's got over 400(+) caches hidden but does nothing to maintain them. In fact, when he archives his caches, he does not go out to clean up his geo-trash. Other cachers in the area, to include myself, have taken to finding his archived caches as it gives us some nice containers for "free."

In fact, when he archives his caches, he does not go out to clean up his geo-trash. Other cachers in the area, to include myself, have taken to finding his archived caches as it gives us some nice containers for "free."

How nice could they be? They probably aren't good cache containers if they needed maintenance. :lol:

To the OP-

I would appear that you are quite concerned with this particular cache. Here are my suggestions:

1. If you like the cache in question go and fix it.

2. If you don't like the cache in question log a "Should be Archived".

3. If neither of the above options appeal to you add the cache to your ignore list.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Thanks for saving me the keystrokes Derock. The OP needs to be a little more proactive.

The best practice is to carry a maintenance kit and deal with problems like this as you find them. You will find that the good will you will spread in your local community will return tenfold. Or. if the cache hunt has no redeeming qualities and it's existence really irks you that much, post a SBA and go back and follow up with the reviewer in 2-3 weeks. Understand that the reviewer's concern will be it turning into geo-litter so offer to go pick up it.

But seriously, sitting around fussing about a single cache for as long as you have is not good for your enjoyment of the game. Take action and cache on.

We've got this problem with a cacher in the Waco, Texas area. He's got over 400(+) caches hidden but does nothing to maintain them. In fact, when he archives his caches, he does not go out to clean up his geo-trash. Other cachers in the area, to include myself, have taken to finding his archived caches as it gives us some nice containers for "free."

And, of course, you're absolutely certain he didn't decide to list them elsewhere, right? :lol:

Okay, I know this is nothing to worry about but I have seen others being "bashed" for placing a cache and not maintaining and/or have many finds behind them. This specific one got on my nerves today. ( i am not saying the cache or owner for a reason) There is a cache that is in TERRIBLE SHAPE, had mold/mildew growing in the garbage bag someone put the container in. Yes it is the container. The co barely has any finds and asked other cachers to bring a container and un disabling based on other feedback instead of go to the cache his or her self. Explain what is wrong? Only took them how long to log back in to the site....a few months....a year?

Okay done venting....

So let me get this straight. The cache is there. It can be found. Thus its viable wear and tear not withtanding. You just don't happen to like the condition?

Garbage bags are a bad idea. Finder after finder has not CITO'd the bag. It appears that finder after finder didn't do any basic cache CPR that would have kept it in better shape. Overall it's looking like the owner placed an ok cache with a cruddy container, and the finders managed to vandalize it.

Of course you didn't post the cache itself so better information would be available.

not pointing fingers at anyone just a venting it becuase he or she has has less than 5 finds and placed it and "dissapeared" for the longest of time. yes there was a needs archive note, after few attempts from the co by variuous people. Yes i know the reviewers are volunteer basis. But his their last find was over two years ago.

Anyways, dont want to start trouble here... oh well....

Time to create a new cache to hide...

And, of course, you're absolutely certain he didn't decide to list them elsewhere, right? :angry:

Yeah, I'm positive!!!! The guy's so lazy, he's given permission to all within our local caching community to do so. Would you like to question anything else?????? :lol::D:blink:

In fact, when he archives his caches, he does not go out to clean up his geo-trash. Other cachers in the area, to include myself, have taken to finding his archived caches as it gives us some nice containers for "free."

How nice could they be? They probably aren't good cache containers if they needed maintenance. :lol:

Actually, I policed up a number of real nice containers. The "offender's" main problem is not cleaning up after himself. He'll archive caches and never go out to pick them up. Since he has abandoned them, some of us local cachers pick them up, with his permission of course. It's been a great way to get free decon containers!!!!! :D:blink::angry:

/quote]

So let me get this straight. The cache is there. It can be found. Thus its viable wear and tear not withtanding. You just don't happen to like the condition?

Garbage bags are a bad idea. Finder after finder has not CITO'd the bag. It appears that finder after finder didn't do any basic cache CPR that would have kept it in better shape. Overall it's looking like the owner placed an ok cache with a cruddy container, and the finders managed to vandalize it.

Of course you didn't post the cache itself so better information would be available.

The basic point is that the owner of cache is represonsible to check on his/her caches periodically to see that they are in good condition, not full of trash, and that the cache is not causing problems. Why is there even any question on this issue????? What is the big deal about chacking on your caches every few months???? (if you can't visit them all, you have too many).

It appears from my limited experience (only about 200 finds) that many cache placers simply abandon their caches after they are logged, never to visit them again. That is why so many are in such bad shape (contain a few moldy McToys), eventhough they were OK when placed. Finders should ideally do cache CPR, but that in no way takes the responsibility away from the owner.

If all one cares about is your find count, then I can see the attitude that any cache is OK, so long as it adds one to your count. However it annoys me greatly when I take the kids on a search and instead of finding a "treasure chest" we find a cache filled with trash, because some irresponsible cache owner was too lazy to take care of his caches.

I'm not sure how to deal with issue, as I hate rules, but realize in the absence of any active policy, the lazy loosers tend to win out and the quality of the sport will decline. (lets go out and look for an ammo box full of junk?).

Edited by geomann1

Knowing MREAGLEWO1's territory, I would suspect that this is the one hidden under an abandoned rug, and overlooking the sound barrier at the Interstate highway. It's a real winner. :lol: You should have tried his other one, In a rock pile in an area used as a dump, with lots of broken glass. Park at the adult bookstore.

Have no fear! Our local reviewer sometimes takes his/her time, but s/he does follow up on archiving the caches that s/he flags. Fortunately, the reviewers do take their time, to allow maintenance visits.

On the other fin, it could be one of the two hidden by a local high school student who continued on to Georgetown. (Must have graduated by now.) Those are both damp, and the owner has not signed on in almost two years. But they're not bad hides.

Certainly owners "should" be responsible maintainers. Unfortunately, some are not.

Some are responsible yet real life gets in the way of this game.

Rather than let it raise your blood pressure, carry a maintenance kit.

I went on a cache run with friends Saturday where we pulled maintenance (restocked, replaced logs, etc) on 4 of the 26 we found and replaced 2 more completely.

In the cases of the replacement caches we had previous finders with us and were able to get the owner on the phone, something you can't always do. Still, having spare ammo cans, logs and trinkets we were able to replace and or revitalize 6 caches.

Is it our responsibility to do so? Of course not. It's a choice. It's good for the community and the game.

My Daddy taught me that I have no right to complain about something unless I am willing to try to fix it. By that logic unless we're willing to take a proactive part in keeping caches clean and stocked we have no right to complain about them being wet or empty.

I guess that means we are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Fix the problems when you see them and we're all better off.