HELP! MAGELLAN EXPLORIST 210!

I just bought this and plan on using this tommorow in the local wildlife refuge. This is all too complicated! how do i load maps on this unit and where do i find them? All i found was magellan'a maps and they want 150 for the map! what a rip off! how do i get my gps to show roads and everything in detail? Please help! I'm so frustrated! I'm about to go back to my compass and map! lol. I'm new to the caching thing!.

Thans alot Jensen

I just bought this and plan on using this tommorow in the local wildlife refuge. This is all too complicated! how do i load maps on this unit and where do i find them? All i found was magellan'a maps and they want 150 for the map! what a rip off! how do i get my gps to show roads and everything in detail? Please help! I'm so frustrated! I'm about to go back to my compass and map! lol. I'm new to the caching thing!.

Thans alot Jensen

The good maps you gotta pay for. They're worth it if you're gonna use your gps for driving, but you don't need them if you know how to get to the wildlife refuge. Just download or plug in the coords, hit goto and start hunting!

Edited by hukilaulau

The general rule of thumb is that the detail maps will cost you extra for most any GPS device.

The good news is that you should be able to find the software for much less that $150 if you buy from someone other than Magellan. Search the internets.

Can't get free detailed maps from another person, unless they want to send you their copies. Lots of reasons why.

You can find Mapsend topo maps, which is what you want for the 210, on eBay. There are a couple of copies on there right now for about 70.00, expensive, but far less expensive than the 150.00 you've found elsewhere.

Even if you are using it primarly for work in the sciences (biology, nature history, floristics, etc.) it helps to have the maps, helps a lot. I use mine in my work, plant survey/collection work, and I would be lost without the topos. Well worth the money.