Is this idea OK

toolmans crew

I want to place a cache with a theme to fight cancer and I didn't know if it is Ok to place addresses of places to send donations. I had a little nephew who died of cancer and would like to raise some money for this cause.

As proposed it would be a soliciation which is not allowed.

However you could very likely do a memorial cache that gives information on your nephews, what he liked, the cancer that he died from. Potentially you could (and you need to ask) point out (but not ask for donations) a cancer fighing fund that was created in his name.

Your local reviewer is the person you need to work with on this.

I want to place a cache with a theme to fight cancer and I didn't know if it is Ok to place addresses of places to send donations. I had a little nephew who died of cancer and would like to raise some money for this cause.

As proposed it would be a soliciation which is not allowed.

However you could very likely do a memorial cache that gives information on your nephews, what he liked, the cancer that he died from. Potentially you could (and you need to ask) point out (but not ask for donations) a cancer fighing fund that was created in his name.

Thanks. I was looking on the site and found some info after I posted this and I guess I will have to go about this a different way.

Thanks for the input.

I would think that they could work something out with you. I would use the example of the jeep travel bug and the Diabetes travel bug. While they do not specifically ask for donations, they are free advertisement and/or awareness campaigns. I'd mention that... I'd also, perhaps, mention it to your the local chapter of an organization that supports cancer research, etc. You might even contact the Lance Armstrong Foundation for a handful of their bracelets, and perhaps drop the idea of a travel bug, like the diabetes one, in their laps. I'm well aware of awareness campaigns dealing with medical issues. Use your imagination.

If you'd like to start some travel bugs to promote awareness of a disease, have at it! There are no restrictions on travel bugs other than the general site terms of use.

But as a geocache or event cache idea, I would not expend a lot of effort on this. You will find that solicitation caches are one of the steepest uphill climbs to be found in the listing guidelines.

I would think that they could work something out with you. I would use the example of the jeep travel bug and the Diabetes travel bug.

Unlikely. Nearly everybody has a pet cause and most are very worthwhile. GC.com rightly tries to keep these agendas out of geocaching.

The travel bugs are a totally different animal. The diabetes TBs are for a cause that Groundspeak decided to support. As owners of this site it is their right to do so. But I agree with their stand regarding caches that promote agendas. Otherwise every 3rd cache out there would be shilling for some sort of charity.

Here's the current guidelines:

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.

Some exceptions can be made. In these situations, permission can be given by Groundspeak. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first. If you do not have advance permission, your reviewer will refer you to Groundspeak.

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

So in this instance, I don't think that the reviewer can help you, unless it's to suggest a way to make it non-commerical and non-solicitous - which is kind of against the whole premise, right? I would think the first step in getting something like this listed would be to contact Groundspeak.

Edited by Markwell

A geocache is not the way to go. Two things that pop off the top of my head:

1. Relay-for-Life has walks all over the country. You can get people to sponsor you and you walk for your nephew. easy way to rais a few bucks for cancer.

2. Contact your local major hospital, and ask for their development or fund raising office. They will put you in contact with someone who can give you guidlines on how to raise money for their cancer department or hospital. You would have to work on doing an outside charitable event. Essentially, you would be raising money to support the hospital.

A geocache is not the way to go. Two things that pop off the top of my head:

1. Relay-for-Life has walks all over the country. You can get people to sponsor you and you walk for your nephew. easy way to rais a few bucks for cancer.

2. Contact your local major hospital, and ask for their development or fund raising office. They will put you in contact with someone who can give you guidlines on how to raise money for their cancer department or hospital. You would have to work on doing an outside charitable event. Essentially, you would be raising money to support the hospital.

If you have ever read A Bridge to Terabithia it might give you insight into what they are really trying to accomplish. There is a bigger picture. Raising money is merely one angle to it. Of course I'm making an assumption but it's a fair one given the topic.

If you have ever read A Bridge to Terabithia it might give you insight into what they are really trying to accomplish. There is a bigger picture. Raising money is merely one angle to it. Of course I'm making an assumption but it's a fair one given the topic.

I haven't read that (recently made into a movie, right?). Who is "they"? Please elaborate on the bigger picture.