Garmin GPS 72?

nerdling

I own one, it is a great unit for starting out. Even though it is a simple unit, it is not void of features. It has some features and options you wouldn't find on a really cheap GPS, like an E-trex yellow, or similar unit for less than $100.

You will not be able to use maps with it, but for Geocaching it should work fine. It's display is easy to read since you can make the numbers bigger. What I like to do is set up the compass screen with the distance readout in big numbers over the compass arrow, that way you have all you need right there to guide you to the cache. Even though I do own a more advanced unit with mapping, I still use the 72 periodically.

I think I seen Cabella's was selling them for around $99. They used to run $150, but I think they are getting old enough now the price is dropping.

Any GPSr that can "mark" a waypoint, and that will let you edit the coordinates to those of the cache, will work. Thats the way I started with an old GPS 38.

It's only smart to "use what ya got" until you know if caching is for you. If you're like most of us, you'll soon have a state of the art GPSr, a PDA, and a fast computer to support your habit. :rolleyes: