Garmin 60csx, SD Card in Reader?

kgag

I used to be able to take my microsd card out of my 60csx and put it in a card reader, and then use mapsource or easygps or whatever as if the gps was hooked up directly. This was nice because you get twice the speeds as you do if you use the usb cable to the gps....

For some reason now this is not working???

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it back up and running I imagine it is something silly that I am just not thinking of....

Thanks,

kgag.

hmmmm....

nevermind I just reformatted the microsd in the reader and now it works fine... must have had something funky on it before that wouldn't allow it to work...

Thanks for the couple of quick responses, and for others if you are ever having a problem just do a quick reformat of the microsd and mapsource will see it no problems.

Thanks again,

kgag.

Oh by the way I found kind of a cool site through google while trying to fix this....

http://freegeotools.blogspot.com/2007/01/g...ard-tricks.html

Seems that once you transfer a set once you can take the gmapsupp.img file from the garmin folder on the sd card, back that up and then just move it back when you need it again.

Edited by kgag

From what I gather, you should be able to choose your card reader as a device when clicking the send to... button. I do recall seeing other posts where people had trouble transferring to a card reader. I think the solution is simply picking it from a list, but it wasn't always intuitive where that was. Try preferences?

I've only transfered maps directly to my Vista, and that was with a usb-to-serial adapter I had left over from my Palm IIIx. Talk about slow!

I was having a "communication error" trying to upload new mapsets to my Garmin 60CSx - it would hang up and the transfer would not complete.

Using this method of transfer directly to the card while in the card reader slot solved that problem.

In addition, it is MUCH faster.

Thanks for your posts on doing this! ;)

Jim

I used to be able to take my microsd card out of my 60csx and put it in a card reader, and then use mapsource or easygps or whatever as if the gps was hooked up directly. This was nice because you get twice the speeds as you do if you use the usb cable to the gps....

Wow! I have been wondering about this. Does Mapsource see the card then as "the GPSr?" What size card are you using and how long is the transfer? Thanks a bunch, this is the first I've read about it.

Getting a CSX soon!

- Sarah

FWIW, I thought about doing this, but I got concerned about wear and tear on the 60Csx memory card holder. It's a holder, not a slot. You have to remove the batteries, slide back a somewhat flimsy metal cover, and then simply lift the card out of a tray. It seems a lot less durable than the card slots on my camera and laptop. So, I decided to stick with the cable.

Seems that once you transfer a set once you can take the gmapsupp.img file from the garmin folder on the sd card, back that up and then just move it back when you need it again.

This works just fine, been doing it for a while... one download and just save it in a folder on the puter