Finger trouble?

I have a MAP60CSx and I love it, however one annoying little thing is starting to bug me.

When I have it on in the car on the way to a cache site, it behaves perfectly. I stop the car, switch off the engine, get out and lock the car. When I next look at the GPSr, the display has locked. What I mean is whatever direction I walk in, the display doesn't move. Everything else is as normal.

The only way to fix it that I have found is to switch it off and on again, then it tracks and works fine for the rest of the trip.

So far, I haven't actually managed to catch it when it locks up, but it's always at the same point in proceedings. Am I accidently hitting a button? If so, which one would cause that and is there a simple cure? Quit doesn't do anything...

I have a MAP60CSx and I love it, however one annoying little thing is starting to bug me.

When I have it on in the car on the way to a cache site, it behaves perfectly. I stop the car, switch off the engine, get out and lock the car. When I next look at the GPSr, the display has locked. What I mean is whatever direction I walk in, the display doesn't move. Everything else is as normal.

The only way to fix it that I have found is to switch it off and on again, then it tracks and works fine for the rest of the trip.

So far, I haven't actually managed to catch it when it locks up, but it's always at the same point in proceedings. Am I accidently hitting a button? If so, which one would cause that and is there a simple cure? Quit doesn't do anything...

Do you have the lock on road feature on? This might cause you position to stay on the road even when you are heading off road?

Do you have the lock on road feature on? This might cause you position to stay on the road even when you are heading off road?

No. It does it even when I park on the street.

Do you have it set to "follow road" when in the car? If you do, you need to "Menu > Recalibrate > Off Road" when you get out of the car. Note: this is not the same as "lock on road".

I can't see that that will make any difference. I only have to get out of the car with it my hand and stand beside the car - two feet from where it was on the dashboard, and it still does it!

Do you have it set to "follow road" when in the car? If you do, you need to "Menu > Recalibrate > Off Road" when you get out of the car. Note: this is not the same as "lock on road".

I can't see that that will make any difference. I only have to get out of the car with it my hand and stand beside the car - two feet from where it was on the dashboard, and it still does it!

Which screen are you using when this happens? Is it the map screen? Or have you tried to rotate the screen when getting out of the car. Maybe a little more detail will help. What do you mean by freezing? Can you rotate through the screens or are you stuck on one screen?

Which screen are you using when this happens? Is it the map screen? Or have you tried to rotate the screen when getting out of the car. Maybe a little more detail will help. What do you mean by freezing? Can you rotate through the screens or are you stuck on one screen?

I don't use the compass or the "goto" feature. I prefer to see the cache on the map screen as I move towards it.

I don't use an in-car charger.

It's the map screen which locks up. It goes just as if it was a printed picture. Moving about or rotating the GPSr makes no difference whatsoever. I can move through the different screens as normal. It's just the map page which seems to stop updating.

I asked the question because I wondered if it was a common fault on this unit, but it seems not. I will try and keep a close watch on it next time and see exactly when it happens.

I don't use the compass or the "goto" feature. I prefer to see the cache on the map screen as I move towards it.

I don't use an in-car charger.

It's the map screen which locks up. It goes just as if it was a printed picture. Moving about or rotating the GPSr makes no difference whatsoever. I can move through the different screens as normal. It's just the map page which seems to stop updating.

I asked the question because I wondered if it was a common fault on this unit, but it seems not. I will try and keep a close watch on it next time and see exactly when it happens.

Do you have the lock on road feature on? I will ask this again because this seems like that is what is wrong. What the lock on road feature does is if you are close to a road it will automatically put you on the road on the map screen. Try to turn this off and see if it still happens. Or try to get out of your car and start walking and keep walking for a good distance off road into the wild and see if the gps corrects itself then.

Just a thought, but maybe you are discharging a static buildup when you exit the car. Try staying in the car and see if it locks up when you disconnect the power. If it doesn't lockup after a couple of minutes. put the GPSr down and exit the car making sure you ground yourself. Then reach back in and get the GPSr.

Do you lock the car with the key, or one of those RF transmitters? Although they're low wattage if it's in the same hand or very close proximity maybe you're overloading the front end of the GPSr.

The "lock on road" feature is definently the problem. I had the same thing happen to me last night for the first time. I pulled off in a parking lot next to a road and started to walk and looked at the map and nothing was happening. I then turned off the "lock on road" feature and the map started to move.

Do you lock the car with the key, or one of those RF transmitters? Although they're low wattage if it's in the same hand or very close proximity maybe you're overloading the front end of the GPSr.

No, I use a manual key.

The "lock on road" feature is definently the problem. I had the same thing happen to me last night for the first time. I pulled off in a parking lot next to a road and started to walk and looked at the map and nothing was happening. I then turned off the "lock on road" feature and the map started to move.

Since turning off this feature, I can report that the problem is definitely better, but it has still done it a couple of times, however instead of turning it off and on again, I have just waited. It then started to work normally again after about a minute. Very odd.

My 60Csx does something similar but unlike yours freezing up on the map page, mine continues to show movement BUT the black triangular pointer moves sideways instead of point-first and very "jerky". I thought it had something to do with map orientation (Track Up or North Up). Tried toggling that setting but doesn't help. Powering off and back on is the only thing that works for me. Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often.

Just a thought, but maybe you are discharging a static buildup when you exit the car. Try staying in the car and see if it locks up when you disconnect the power. If it doesn't lockup after a couple of minutes. put the GPSr down and exit the car making sure you ground yourself. Then reach back in and get the GPSr.

Sounds like the "lock on road" setting was the problem here, but this is what I had in mind too. I had a day where my GPS kept shutting off, every time I got out of the car. I could turn it right back on and it was fine, but I couldn't figure out why it kept shutting off. I finally realized that I was grabbing the GPS with my right hand, then using a couple of fingers on the same hand to swing the door closed. I'd get a nasty shock from the door, and the discharge would shut the unit off. Using the other hand cleared that right up.