Garmin gpsmap 76Cx vs CSX

I considering purchasing eithe the CX or CSX. I only use the GPS when I'm sailing and I don't know if the compass in the CSX would be heplful to have. Thanks for your comments. George

I'd skip it. The compass is only accurate when held level to the ground. Tough to do on a moving boat. Save your money and get a gimbaled compass.

I considering purchasing eithe the CX or CSX. I only use the GPS when I'm sailing and I don't know if the compass in the CSX would be heplful to have. Thanks for your comments. George

I'd skip it. The compass is only accurate when held level to the ground. Tough to do on a moving boat. Save your money and get a gimbaled compass.

I agree. YOu should have a compass on the boat, no?

I don't sail, but would there be benefit to the barometric pressure trend plot available on the "S" model?

Again, I dont not own a S model. I actually have a portable consumer barometer I purchased for a $1 on a clearance table at a hardware store over 10 years ago. I've never seen anything remotely similiar since. I've had it up to 10,000 in an aircraft and it was surprisingly accurate. I've really never had 'use' for ti, just a toy andthis is why i dont need one on a GPS. I don't know how they work on GPSrs but any barometer I've used needs to be calibrated daily or more for accuracy. I also am unaware as to how a regular GPSr determine altitude but have heard they are not reliable/accurate. On my 76 Cx, I had overlaid track logs onto topo maps and have found the readings to be as accurate (or more) - with the exception of the odd obvious spike as ANY aircraft grade barometer. So, even if I did own a GPS with a barometer, I would still likely use the sattelite determined altitude.