5 1/2 RAILS?

Lat34North

It depends on the railroad and the time period. Rail lengths were standardized to fit in gondola cars and throughout the years those cars got longer. But not all railroads used the same standard. A rail could be 30, 33 or 36 feet long, and I am sure other lengths existed.

When I have run across these sort of problems I have used 33 feet as the median length. However I have never been successful by just using the measurement of rail length. Either I have been successful just pacing off the approximate distance and using other clues, or I have not been successful at all.

edit--Looking at the description of this mark I wouldn't even worry about the distance in rails. The datasheet gives one important distance--from benchmark R4 (DG1004) that was across the tracks and projected a foot. Find THAT mark and you are golden. If you can't find R4 you might be able to find about where it was, since there are very good measurements from things that probably still exist such as the culvert. However, looking at an aerial photo of the area shows that the old roadbed has been heavily modified and a definite road has been put in to the north of it. There may be little left to see at this spot.

Edited by mloser

If the rails haven't been replaced recently, you should be able to see either cracks or welds as you walk along. Easier still, walk alont the far rail, looking across at the other. For many years, rails were bolted together with plates to stabilize them. These are easily seen. It has only been a recent change (last 20 years or so) to use the really long sections carried on the work trains.

Lat34North -

There have been several discussions on this topic. In the click on "Search" in this forum and put:

"+rail +length" in the keywords window and you will find them.

Also, holoscenes Benchmark Wiki has a glossary entry for "rail" as well with a piece of good advice there.

Good hunting!

Start with 39 feet (they just fit in 40 foot cars) and you'll be close for most rails put down from the 1940s till they went with welded rail. At least that works in the northeast. The shorter rails were typically used on older lines.

One odd thing to note is that welded rail is SHIPPED as piece rail, in 39 foot lengths, then welded together in a railroad's rail shop before being put on special flatcars to go to where it will be installed. At installation the already long lengths of welded rail are welded into even longer sections in the field.

It depends on the railroad and the time period. Rail lengths were standardized to fit in gondola cars and throughout the years those cars got longer. But not all railroads used the same standard. A rail could be 30, 33 or 36 feet long, and I am sure other lengths existed.

When I have run across these sort of problems I have used 33 feet as the median length. However I have never been successful by just using the measurement of rail length. Either I have been successful just pacing off the approximate distance and using other clues, or I have not been successful at all.

edit--Looking at the description of this mark I wouldn't even worry about the distance in rails. The datasheet gives one important distance--from benchmark R4 (DG1004) that was across the tracks and projected a foot. Find THAT mark and you are golden. If you can't find R4 you might be able to find about where it was, since there are very good measurements from things that probably still exist such as the culvert. However, looking at an aerial photo of the area shows that the old roadbed has been heavily modified and a definite road has been put in to the north of it. There may be little left to see at this spot.

Thanks for the information. I did not know if it was actually the length of the rail, or some standard distance. The RR is no longer active and had been converted to a trail known as the "Silver Comet Trail" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Comet_Trail) for hiking and biking. I looked for DG1004 but I was not able to locate it. There is now a parking lot there. I found DG0362 today which is along the same rail bed. The tracks there have not been removed. If all else fails, I’ll take a measurement there and try again armed with that information."