"GeoTag GeoCoin "

Team Sand Dollar

This issue of what is or isn't a coin keeps coming up and there is NEVER gonna be an agreement, so why bother?

Wow, what a radical solution. Might as well close this forum as well ... after all it's called "Geocoin Discussions".

Oh, wait -- that means that we cannot even discuss this here any longer... :blink:

Sounds to me like some are bitter cuz people won't trade with them. I thought all along these were meant to be traded for other geotags?

I'm not bitter. As a matter of fact, I haven't even tried to setup a trade with anyone since this whole brouhaha got started. All I'm trying to accomplish here is to point out that there are many varieties of signature items available. GeoTags happen to fall into the geocoin category given their properties (metal, plated, personal artwork, all uniquely gc trackable, custom icon, custom prefix "GT").

If you have a definition of a geocoin that would exclude "GeoTag geocoins", please present it here.

... then we'll be sure to ask the mods to close any thread that talks about those types of items in the future.

I got one from the gascan. Thrown in extra during a trade. My very first, and it fits in the binder pocket just like the other geometals :lol: Thanks gaskins.

You're welcome!

Feel free to activate it and get a new icon on your profile as well. :blink:

I'm not bitter. As a matter of fact, I haven't even tried to setup a trade with anyone since this whole brouhaha got started. All I'm trying to accomplish here is to point out that there are many varieties of signature items available. GeoTags happen to fall into the geocoin category given their properties (metal, plated, personal artwork, all uniquely gc trackable, custom icon, custom prefix "GT").

Yes, geotags and pathtags are signature items. However, neither are nor ever will be a geocoin.

I liken GeoTags to one of those handbags street vendors sell you...it may look like a Gucci, have a design like a Gucci and even maybe say Gucci...but it ain't no Gucci. They are cheap knockoffs made to look like the real thing.

It really not an issue of trading at all. I have plenty of regular size coins to trade and there are plenty of GeoTag to trade my Geotags with.

It really comes down to one of the coin tracking site not allowing it as a coin on there site when the allow the Happy Caching Micro series. It is really beyond me what is the difference between these coins. They are both micros, they both have a common side, and they both have a hole, but one is a coin since it called itself a micro and the GeoTag is not because it called itself a GeoTag.

This one site can influence others to believe as they believe that the GeoTag is not a Geocoin even if that is not what they intended.

Can some one please tell me why the GeoTag is not a coin besides Name, Quality, Cost because these are inline with other simular GeoCoins.

Team Sand Dollar

I'll be honest. If this entire thread is to debate whether or not someone should or shouldn't allow this trade item to be listed on a site that they own . . . Geez. Perhaps it should be taken up with that company. I'm sure you can garner support for that mission outside the Groundspeak resources. :blink:

Can some one please tell me why the GeoTag is not a coin besides Name, Quality, Cost because these are inline with other simular GeoCoins.

You answered your own question...they are no of the same quality and value as a regular coin...hence, not equal in trade...

We got a wonderful islander1988 GW5 geotag on our trip to Raleigh and we had never seen a geotag before. I'm sorry that some people feel that these items are of lesser value or quality, but making that a statement of fact rather than a statement of opinion may be unfair. In my opinion the geotags are as nice or nicer than some of the coins, micro or otherwise that we have seen. I don't mind someone disagreeing with me, as it is their choice. I do have a problem with someone telling me that I am wrong.

As with any coin, sig item or whatever, it is a matter of personal choice. There are plenty of "valuable" coins out there that I have no interest in and are of no value to me. Am I wrong to feel this way? I would think that, as with any collectable, personal choice is the ultimate guide to value.

And the number one reason this thread is ready to be locked...

I'll be honest. If this entire thread is to debate whether or not someone should or shouldn't allow this trade item to be listed on a site that they own . . . Geez. Perhaps it should be taken up with that company. I'm sure you can garner support for that mission outside the Groundspeak resources. :blink:

You answered your own question...they are no of the same quality and value as a regular coin...hence, not equal in trade...

Since you are the expert on the quality of GeoTags can you tell me how many of the coins you have examined.

---------------

In my experience with the GeoTag the difference in quality is in the size (1/4" less) and thinkness but overall these are just as nice as many of the micro coins plus they are larger and thicker and cost more to produce. so by your equation trading a GeoTag for a micro coin would not be fair as the owner of the GeoTag would be getting ripped off.

So to expand on your logic....

A geoTag is not a GeoCooin because they do not have the same quality and value as a regular coin.

Therefore any micro coin is not a GeoCoin because thay do not have the same quality and value as a regular coin.

Futhermore if the GeoTag is the unwanted step child of the regular coin what does that make the micro coin... the ill.......

So you have it here Micro Coins are NOT GeoCoins

Team Sand Dollar

To Quote an authority from another thread, discussing a different coin:

To all out there-I do believe Scaw and I have worked out the issue. It seems that others were more upset about it than we were.

In fact, I didn't look at the GeoJellies like a "personal" coin. The design is not unique to one person. It was designed for an entire group of people who just added their geonick and a flavor. Truly, not a big deal to me. I will definitely use another name for my flavor. I absolutely have no problems with that.

Now that is cool. Thanks for doing that for her.

I too agree these are not personal coins, but rather personalized coins. Now we can all get back to making some cool coins agin.

Now, on this topic/thread. GeoTags *ARE* Personal coins. The design *IS* unique to one person. I'm sorry that A&T has such a poor view of these coins. I hope that none of them are ever forced upon you.

Now can we all get back to making some cool coins agin. :lol:

A geoTag is not a GeoCooin because they do not have the same quality and value as a regular coin.

True.

Therefore any micro coin is not a GeoCoin because thay do not have the same quality and value as a regular coin.

False. There are high-quality and scarce Micros out there. Try again.

Futhermore if the GeoTag is the unwanted step child of the regular coin what does that make the micro coin... the ill.......

Team Sand Dollar

Faulty logic at best. I'm sorry your love for GeoTags has clouded this.

Now, on this topic/thread. GeoTags *ARE* Personal coins. The design *IS* unique to one person. I'm sorry that A&T has such a poor view of these coins. I hope that none of them are ever forced upon you.

Now can we all get back to making some cool coins agin. :blink:

It'd be nice if it were only I that thought this way... :D

I have to ask, though...if GeoTags are the same as geocoins...then why the separate trading thread? I mean after all...they are geocoins, are they not? :lol:

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

It really comes down to one of the coin tracking site not allowing it as a coin on there site when the allow the Happy Caching Micro series.

So why did you waste Grounspeaks bandwidth if in reality this has nothing to do with Groundspeak at all? Why didn't you start this debate in the other companies forums, oh thats right it did get brought up there then shot down.

I am totally aware this is a coin discussion forum , this topic has been discussed numerous times with the same results. All other incidents of multiple coin threads have been shut down so what makes this thread any different?

I truly believe you stand a chance of catching more bee's with honey, take this topic off the record, email the other company in question and try coming to a mutual understanding with them.

To Quote an authority from another thread, discussing a different coin:

To all out there-I do believe Scaw and I have worked out the issue. It seems that others were more upset about it than we were.

In fact, I didn't look at the GeoJellies like a "personal" coin. The design is not unique to one person. It was designed for an entire group of people who just added their geonick and a flavor. Truly, not a big deal to me. I will definitely use another name for my flavor. I absolutely have no problems with that.

Now that is cool. Thanks for doing that for her.

I too agree these are not personal coins, but rather personalized coins. Now we can all get back to making some cool coins agin.

Now can we all get back to making some cool coins agin. :lol:

Are you for real? You take a quote by me from another thread about another coin and try to fit it in here to make a point? How big a hammer did you need in school to pass the square block in the round hole test?

I never claimed to be an authority. That is a title you have bestowed on me to try to make your point. That is kind of rude don't ya think? I do notice that thread like this tend to start getting personal when a lack of facts to support your position are available. No need for the truth here when we can manipulate a post to try to discredit the source.

Obviously your opinion is completely unbiased and you stand to make no money off of these tags, so we should just go with what you know about them right?

Are you really that insecude that you need to try to convice everyone that these tags are more a coin than my jelly beans are? Go for it. It doesn't matter to me. Call it what you want. But it sounds as if you are trying to convince everyone about something that most have made their minds up about. ersonally I wasn't involved in these one way or the other till this thread. Since then I have been pushed, or force fed, enough sales pitch to sway completely away and the other direction. Pretty good buisness plan you have going there!

As for the quality issue. I do not have any tags, I only collect coins, but I have spoken with several people who have them and all have been displeased in the quality of their coins. If they weren't and were as good as a coin....would we even be having this thread?

True.

False. There are high-quality and scarce Micros out there. Try again.

Team Sand Dollar

Faulty logic at best. I'm sorry your love for GeoTags has clouded this.

You never answered my first question. How many of these you have even see in person? I must assume by lack of your response that the answer is none.

Second not all micros as well as regular coins are made to the same standard. There are many geocoins out there that would not measure up the the quality of the GeoTag but yet they are considered coin.

And a new question..

Why do you dislike the GeoTag so much? If you were to take all the coins out there do you really believe that they are of such low quality that they are not better than any of them.

No one is forcing you are anyone to trade for them. Just like no one would force you to trade a micro for a regular or a non-trackable for a trackable. Te value of a trade is between the 2 people trading them.

And I was so worried about the value of a trade I would never have traded 2 of my regular full size trackable coins for 2 of Mauison Fish Hooks. ( Disclaimer --- Mauison -- I like your FishHooks and I am OK with the trade) Boy did I get ripped off :lol::D:blink::D

Team Sand Dollar

It really not an issue of trading at all. I have plenty of regular size coins to trade and there are plenty of GeoTag to trade my Geotags with.

It really comes down to one of the coin tracking site not allowing it as a coin on there site when the allow the Happy Caching Micro series. It is really beyond me what is the difference between these coins. They are both micros, they both have a common side, and they both have a hole, but one is a coin since it called itself a micro and the GeoTag is not because it called itself a GeoTag.

This one site can influence others to believe as they believe that the GeoTag is not a Geocoin even if that is not what they intended.

Team Sand Dollar

Now that the true reason for this thread has been stated by the OP, it's being closed.

As somebody else stated. If you have issue with another companies site/policies, please take it up with them directly via email, their forums, etc.

Thank you.

- Sketti