"GeoTag GeoCoin "

Team Sand Dollar

I hereby officially will start calling my coin a "GeoTag GeoCoin". And since I call it a GeoCoin it must be a GeoCoin just like all those other coins that call themselves a GeoCoin.

Think about it...

It is round like a geocoin. (At least most geocoins are round)

It has custom personal artwork like geocoins. (Many geocoins share a common back)

It is minted like other geocoins.

And it is GC.Com trackable like geocoins (Well like most of them are.). And we all know that GC.Com will only issue trackable numbers for geocoins it approves of.

So it must be a geocoin.

Many have said they would not trade a regular for a GeoTag GeoCoin because they felt it wasn't an even trade. But then trading a GeoTag GeoCoin for a micro coin isn't far since the GeoTag Geocoin is bigger and costs more to make. Or trading a trackable GeoTag GeoCoin for a non trackable inferior coin would just seem totally irresponsible.

Need I go on. I think not.

Now that I got that silliness out, time for the real stuff.

I got my GeoTag GeoCoins to trade for other GeoTag GeoCoins. I knew there would be many of them and I needed a more even trade since I wasn’t planning on a micro.

But then again I would trade them for other coins (micro, full-size, trackable, or non trackable) if we both agreed on the trade.

Disclaimer:

Anyone that takes anything above too seriously need to take a step back an re-examine there view point on GeoCoins. They are only a piece of shiny metal with very little real value other to the designer of the coin and the person now owning it.

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Team Sand Dollar

In the GeoTag trading thread I pointed out clearly that these are Geocoins, Granted not a Compass Rose, But way far from a Wooden Nickel

Die Stamped Metal

Enamal Colors

Personal Designs

GC Tracking

Icon

And this image is what you have when you activate them.

GeoTag.jpg

Edited by glennk721

I don't dispute they are coins. They are merely of an inferior grade and as such, will only be traded for like items...i.e., geocoin for geocoin, geotag for geotag, etc...

Im not here to disagree with anyone. It just seems like overkill to open yet another thread to debate it :P

To me, opening another thread about the so-called legitimacy of geotags shows a bit of insecurity on the part of the geotag=geocoin crowd.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I take umbrage to the fact you'd call a GeoTag a GeoCoin or a Geocoin a GeoTag.... it's insulting to both to be so named and lumped together when they were obviously made to be segregated and separated and .... well, different. Next thing you know we'll have GeoTags drinking out the GeoCoin fountain and GeoCoins changing in the GeoTag locker room. It'll be total pandemonium.

I take umbrage to the fact you'd call a GeoTag a GeoCoin or a Geocoin a GeoTag.... it's insulting to both to be so named and lumped together when they were obviously made to be segregated and separated and .... well, different. Next thing you know we'll have GeoTags drinking out the GeoCoin fountain and GeoCoins changing in the GeoTag locker room. It'll be total pandemonium.

:P

Does that mean the GeoTag GeoCoins are not allowed to be left in Geocoin Prisons ... I mean Geocoin Caches. :P

Team Sand Dollar

And what about GeoJellies. They can possibly a geocoin. They are not even shaped like a coin and have a common front and back. Not to mention all those oddball pieces of metal that pass themselves off as geocoins.

Not really sure why you have singled me and my series out here. If you don't like it state so, state why, then move on, but do it in a thread about that coin. This thread has nothing to do with me or the series I am behind so why the personal shots at me and my series?

Oh and there are about 1500 GeoJellies right now and another 1200 on the way that will disagree with you about being a geocoin.

I am guessing that the "Oddball pieces of metal passing themselves off as geocoins" would include ones in the shape of sand dollars?

Edit to add: If I have my way, everyone in the world will have a GeoJelly. Kids will be selling them on street corners late at night. Soon the government will start a Don't do Geocoins campaign that will fail miserably. That being said. Anyone else need a GeoJelly?

Edited by pghlooking

And what about GeoJellies. They can possibly a geocoin. They are not even shaped like a coin and have a common front and back. Not to mention all those oddball pieces of metal that pass themselves off as geocoins.

Not really sure why you have singled me and my series out here. If you don't like it state so, state why, then move on, but do it in a thread about that coin. This thread has nothing to do with me or the series I am behind so why the personal shots at me and my series?

Oh and there are about 1500 GeoJellies right now and another 1200 on the way that will disagree with you about being a geocoin.

I am guessing that the "Oddball pieces of metal passing themselves off as geocoins" would include ones in the shape of sand dollars?

Edit to add: If I have my way, everyone in the world will have a GeoJelly. Kids will be selling them on street corners late at night. Soon the government will start a Don't do Geocoins campaign that will fail miserably. That being said. Anyone else need a GeoJelly?

I was not singling out the GeoJellies but only pointing out that "they" (I'm not too sure who “they” are) consider the GeoJellies and shaped coins such as the Sand Dollar to be geocoins while at the same time saying the GeoTag GeoCoin isn't. I could have just as well said the trains or many of the other series that push the term geocoin. I used the geoJellies since it is the closest series in concept to the GeoTag GeoCoin for now...until the crayon get made. :P I consider all of these to be coins.

They GeoJellies are like the GeoTag GeoCoins are a way for many to be able to get there own coin at a lower price than a fully custom 1.5" or greater GeoCoin

Team Sand Dollar

Ok now who is the winner of the most coins in a set GeoJellies Geocoins or GeoTag GeoCoins. :P

I was not singling out the GeoJellies but only pointing out that "they" (I'm not too sure who “they” are) consider the GeoJellies and shaped coins such as the Sand Dollar to be geocoins while at the same time saying the GeoTag GeoCoin isn't. I could have just as well said the trains or many of the other series that push the term geocoin. I used the geoJellies since it is the closest series in concept to the GeoTag GeoCoin for now...until the crayon get made. :P I consider all of these to be coins.

Maybe you should let "them' talk for themselves since you are unsure who "they" are. Last I checked you were the only one bringing the GeoJellies into this. None of "them" were doing so.

The GeoJellies are like the GeoTag GeoCoins are a way for many to be able to get there own coin at a lower price than a fully custom 1.5" or greater GeoCoin

The GeoJellies are not like GeoTags. These are a micro coin that each is individually tracked. I have nothing to do with geoTags and the owners of GeoTags have nothing to do with GeoJellies so any comparison is nothing but your opinion. If you wish to compare and debate it, maybe you should use your own coins rather than attacking someone else's artwork or coins. Might even flow better with the guidelines here.

Team Sand Dollar

Ok now who is the winner of the most coins in a set GeoJellies Geocoins or GeoTag GeoCoins. :P

I had no idea this was a contest. How about we just declare you the winner and we can just end this silly thread with nothing but your personal agenda in it?

I seriously apologize because I really don't follow coins, you are talking about barter trade not cache trade, right?

Yes...you are pretty much correct.

Thank you. Just trying to follow the thread topic, that's all.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You are taking me too serious.

I was trying to point out the absurdity that one coin is considered not a coin because of its name yet every other micro coin has been openly accepted.

I have edited my post to remove reference to any particular coin as that was not the intent of this post.

Team Sand Dollar

For me this thread "topic" was to clarify that a GeTag Geocoin is just that a Geocoin. There is a nitch that these fill,

Notice the "Tag" part. These GeoTag Geocoins were a way to get a Personal GeoTag-Geocoin-Travel Tag all in one. Something "Personal" that was less expensive then a TB Tag, that is trackable and has a personal touch that a TB tag does not have.

For me they are great swag, travelers, and traders, within the "class" and or whatever "someone" felt was a equal trade in a meeting of the minds.

Damenace, had started a thread about the equalquality of a trade for PathTags, GeoTags, and Trolley Tokens. I had not posted that thread not having my tags in hand until Saturday.

With the advent of this thread I would say they are what they are if someone wants to attain a specific design a meeting of the minds will decide if the trade was fair, as in any other trade we may make. the intrinsic value is in the eye of the beholder.

Glenn.

I would like to explain my position on the Coin or Tag debate. I was looking for something to call this project so going forward people would know what you are talking about when they were described.

I was looking for an item that could bridge the gap between:

1. Travel bug (trackable and affordable based)

2. Pathtags and such (personal and affordable)

3. Personal Geocoin (trackable and personal)

I succeeded, with what I think was great success, in doing exactly what I set out to do. Create an entry point in the personalized trackable so more people could get involved. I think I got a few that didn’t have personal coins as well as a few groups that might not have been able to afford such a big purchase of their own geocoin.

The disservice was the name, GeoTags. In trying to bridge the gap I tried to do that with the name as well, geocoin and tags (TB dog tags and pathtags and such). That is where I made the mistake that now put them in a class of their own. I think they are in a class of their own. Although I also think a number of geocoins would fit in the same class (half personalized geocoin). There are a lot with a generic back, the front design is great but the back is someone bailing out. I would even put my first coin in the group. The back is not personal at all. I would also put a lot of micros in the same category based on size. A Geotag is bigger than most micros, again the opportunity to bring the gap, bigger than a normal tag smaller than a normal geocoin.

I guess in closing I am sorry for muddying the water with another category. I do however feel this category is well within the geocoin family and should be considered as such.

edited for:

I would put these int he same catagory as the LP Top 40 and no one quested if they were geocoins. They have a hole so do geotags, they have part of the coin that is personal art so do the geotags. They were a group of people so was the first run on geotags (62, 75 designs and almost 5,000 geotags)

If the name Geotag was not on the back we would not have this discussion. Everyone would thing they are a small geocoin which they are. Have fun, trade, buy, drop, track and enjoy life!!! :P

Edited by Atwell Family

For those of you that do not consider the GeoTag Geocoins to be 'real' geocoins, what is it about them, in your opinion, that disqualifies them as geocoins? Apparently Groundspeak considers them geocoins as they are the ones that approved them per their own geocoin guidelines.

For those of you that do not consider the GeoTag Geocoins to be 'real' geocoins, what is it about them, in your opinion, that disqualifies them as geocoins? Apparently Groundspeak considers them geocoins as they are the ones that approved them per their own geocoin guidelines.

From what I heard from a few customers, possibly the bigggest non-believer are those running one of the geocoincolletion websites. Not to name names or stir the pot. :ph34r: I am done with this thread.

I dont see the point in changing the name of something just so another site will host pictures of it. GeoTags are just that GeoTags. Like Mike said they are an item all on there own.

Nobody is really changing the name, it says right on the activated coin's page that it's a GeoTag Geocoin:

geotagscreenshot.jpg

I can't believe there is STILL a discussion going on about this!

To me....the TAGS/COINS are just as tradable and cacheable as anything else out there. They are a great contribution to swag / traveller / trackable items.

I would certainly trade anyone's "Tag" for a "micro", "candy", or "non-trackable"...

Mike,

Don't change anytyhing about these...it was, and still remains a great concept.

What exactly is wrong with them not being coins? I don't think that is making them any less in value, except to someone who only collects coins. I only collect coins, and am not looking to trade for GeoTags, but that is preference and within my rights. Sure they are trackable and such, but so are TBs and I choose not to trade for them. It doesn't have to be looked at as someone taking a shot at them just becausse someone doesn't collect them or want to trade for them. They are different, and different can be a good thing.

I seriously don't understand why this is such a debate.

What exactly is wrong with them not being coins? I don't think that is making them any less in value, except to someone who only collects coins. I only collect coins, and am not looking to trade for GeoTags, but that is preference and within my rights. Sure they are trackable and such, but so are TBs and I choose not to trade for them. It doesn't have to be looked at as someone taking a shot at them just becausse someone doesn't collect them or want to trade for them. They are different, and different can be a good thing.

The problem in denying that these are geocoin, many have been convinced that they are not. You have reduced them to the unwanted step-child of the GeoCoins.

They may not be equivalent to many of the full size trackable coins in quality and cost, they are to many of the commercial and micro coins. And they are equivalent in cost to many of the non-trackable.

Yes they are different, but so are micros and many of the shape coins, but they are still coins.

Team Sand Dollar

The problem in denying that these are geocoin, many have been convinced that they are not. You have reduced them to the unwanted step-child of the GeoCoins.

And aren't these people entitled to their opinions even if they differ from yours? Or are you saying they all need to change their outlook and agree with you. Sorry but that doesn't work for me.

They may not be equivalent to many of the full size trackable coins in quality and cost, they are to many of the commercial and micro coins. And they are equivalent in cost to many of the non-trackable.

So someone not having them in their hands to see, and only going by your post here, you have me convinved they are a lesser quality thing. Not of the caliber of a GeoCoin, but better than a TB. Hmmm sound right where alot of people have been placing them.

Yes they are different, but so are micros and many of the shape coins, but they are still coins.

Team Sand Dollar

No they aren't and that is my opinion. Isn't there something to be said about filling the gap between TBs and GeoCoins? What is wrong with that? Why are you pushing so hard for them to be called GeoCoins? Is it because you have the need to trade these on the level with GeoCoins or have you bought stock in them. Either way, and I really could care less, it sounds you are pushing very hard for someone to call them a GeoCoin when they don't feel they are. Maybe you should just let people form their own opinions rather than try to force them into your way of thinking.

Team Sand Dollar

I disagree. To me, they are glorified Travel Bugs.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. It's insecurity on the part of people pushing the idea that geotags are geocoins. Why else would they constantly harp on the idea that they are equals?

They are not nor will they ever be on the same level of geocoins.

I care less what people collect...you collect what you like, and that's fine. However, don't tell me they are equals when they are not.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. It's insecurity on the part of people pushing the idea that geotags are geocoins. Why else would they constantly harp on the idea that they are equals?

They are not nor will they ever be on the same level of geocoins.

I care less what people collect...you collect what you like, and that's fine. However, don't tell me they are equals when they are not.

From my understanding, they are thin wafers with the same die on one side. The quality, which has already been alluded to in this thread by a defender of them, is poor compared to coins. The ink and minting aren't of the same quality as a coin, and yet they appear to cost as much as a coin does. I am unsure why that is so. I don't want to seem like I am beating on them since I have paid little attention to them until this thread, but seriously. If they are walk like a chicken, cluck like a chicken, look like a chicken, and cost as much as a duck, surely we don't have to call them a duck do we?

From my understanding, they are thin wafers with the same die on one side. The quality, which has already been alluded to in this thread by a defender of them, is poor compared to coins. The ink and minting aren't of the same quality as a coin, and yet they appear to cost as much as a coin does. I am unsure why that is so. I don't want to seem like I am beating on them since I have paid little attention to them until this thread, but seriously. If they are walk like a chicken, cluck like a chicken, look like a chicken, and cost as much as a duck, surely we don't have to call them a duck do we?

I would think not.

I do know at least one person who has gotten GeoTags has complained about the rather poor quality of the tags he's gotten. You'd think they'd be of a better quality since they charge so much.

I to can't believe there could be a question of what these coins are ...they are a personalized geocoins done as part of a group project.

You can collect and trade what you want and each trade I make, and all of us make is personal preference.

When see someone write "glorified travel bug" I know it is nothing but rhetoric. Yeah.... all geocoins are glorified travel bugs so what, that doesn't further the discussion. Did you make one of these coins..if you don't want one don't trade for one.

I think it has been established GeoTags have ...unique individualized design, GC.com tracking number, their own prefix, their own icon, larger than a micro coin, and even the name "GeoTag Geocoin" when listed in your trackables. What's not to like... :ph34r:

But the argument of what a geocoin is and what would you trade for is pointless...all I know is it is not fair for this coin and other group coins...(take your pick)... to be treated as a stepchild.

Each of us....for these group projects put time, thought, design and part of their geocaching personality into their coins...mine are available for possible trades...besides they are all LE's B)

What is a GeoJelly and would it help me get a date?

-Raine

What is a GeoJelly and would it help me get a date?

-Raine

Sadly even geoJellies have their limits... :ph34r:

I do know at least one person who has gotten GeoTags has complained about the rather poor quality of the tags he's gotten. You'd think they'd be of a better quality since they charge so much.

Charge so much? The initial cost, including a custom, personalized front die and 4 colors and INDIVIDUAL tracking numbers cost less than a travel bug tag. The re-order cost is less than HALF the cost of a travel bug tag. Sheesh... :ph34r:

Some are questioning why others are defending the coins, as if that implies insecurity, I question why some are so adamant about not calling them geocoins, what is THEIR agenda?

Some are questioning why others are defending the coins, as if that implies insecurity, I question why some are so adamant about not calling them geocoins, what is THEIR agenda?

Stating facts, is all...besides, those who discount the geotag=geocoin idea aren't the ones starting thread after thread stating their opinion. :ph34r:

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Ok, everyone.... enough yet?

This project was conceived in the Geocoin Discussions forum on Groundspeak.

This project consisted of individual contributors providing their own custom artwork for approval to Groundspeak.

These were engraved each with a custom, individual tracking number with it's own custom prefix, provided by Groundspeak.

Decisions about the size and finish of these items were made to keep the price point so that more people could contribute/participate.

With "real" coins -- and by that, I mean currency that you may choose to use to purchase Geocoins, or any other swag or trade item in the "real" (or virtual) world -- you have a national government of some repute that decides what is and what is not a "coin". The closest we have to a national authority here in this hobby is Groundspeak. And if TPTB say it's a geocoin, then it's a geocoin. Period.

This does not preclude other items from being also considered geocoins (non-trackables, etc.) by people who wish to trade these items on this forum.... just don't go trying to sell them here.

If you don't want to get one, then by all means, don't get one. Be clear in your trading instructions that you do not ever want to receive one. Even if it's free. I am happy that I got a few and I intend to include them in some trade envelopes in the future. If you end up receiving one and you don't want it, please drop it into the nearest GeoCache, and another representative of this group will happily pick it up, and possibly even activate their first traveler.

A&T, please announce when when you plan to convene the first quarterly meeting of one of the following:

* PGCGS -- Professional GeoCoin Grading Service

* AGNACS -- American Geo-Numismatic Association Certification Service

* IGCG -- Independent GeoCoin Grading

I'm sure that there are lots of people who'd love to participate and get their personal, GC trackable and non-trackable items "approved" so that they can proudly carry the name "geocoin". Maybe one of the large, professional Geocoin minting companies would like to convene this service. Of course, unless it was open to all participants, then I doubt it would be very successful.

:ph34r:

Ok, you (the community) have 5 posts to convince me to not merge this thread with the existing GeoTag trading thread......

Why does this deserve it's own thread?

Arguments for not merging the threads:

This thread really isn’t about trading – adding it to a trading thread would be OT (I hope -- I haven’t checked that thread in a while)

Arguments for not closing this thread as we are nearing the beaten dead horse point:

None (other than it provides a single place to vent)

Ok, everyone.... enough yet?

This project was conceived in the Geocoin Discussions forum on Groundspeak.

This project consisted of individual contributors providing their own custom artwork for approval to Groundspeak.

These were engraved each with a custom, individual tracking number with it's own custom prefix, provided by Groundspeak.

Decisions about the size and finish of these items were made to keep the price point so that more people could contribute/participate.

With "real" coins -- and by that, I mean currency that you may choose to use to purchase Geocoins, or any other swag or trade item in the "real" (or virtual) world -- you have a national government of some repute that decides what is and what is not a "coin". The closest we have to a national authority here in this hobby is Groundspeak. And if TPTB say it's a geocoin, then it's a geocoin. Period.

This does not preclude other items from being also considered geocoins (non-trackables, etc.) by people who wish to trade these items on this forum.... just don't go trying to sell them here.

If you don't want to get one, then by all means, don't get one. Be clear in your trading instructions that you do not ever want to receive one. Even if it's free. I am happy that I got a few and I intend to include them in some trade envelopes in the future. If you end up receiving one and you don't want it, please drop it into the nearest GeoCache, and another representative of this group will happily pick it up, and possibly even activate their first traveler.

A&T, please announce when when you plan to convene the first quarterly meeting of one of the following:

* PGCGS -- Professional GeoCoin Grading Service

* AGNACS -- American Geo-Numismatic Association Certification Service

* IGCG -- Independent GeoCoin Grading

I'm sure that there are lots of people who'd love to participate and get their personal, GC trackable and non-trackable items "approved" so that they can proudly carry the name "geocoin". Maybe one of the large, professional Geocoin minting companies would like to convene this service. Of course, unless it was open to all participants, then I doubt it would be very successful.

:blink:

Such passion...I like that. :lol:

In order to be a geocoin it should be at least the size of the original moun10bike geocoin (as his was the birth of the geocoin after all) and metal, everything else is collectible metal. There, are we happy now?

This issue of what is or isn't a coin keeps coming up and there is NEVER gonna be an agreement, so why bother? Sounds to me like some are bitter cuz people won't trade with them. I thought all along these were meant to be traded for other geotags?

Edit to change from "geo-metal" to collectible metal as to me if it's got no tie in to geocaching then it shouldn't have "geo" in it's name.

Edited by Hula Bum