Good Article In Local Newspaper

wkhaz

Geocache and prizes - Hobby sends scavengers on high-tech hunt

"South Carolinians Robert and LeAnne Rich spent their honeymoon indulging in their passion. Don't blush.

Sure, they love each other, but these two are also passionate about geocaching."...

See the article

See full article in my post a little farther down...

Edited by wkhaz

Folks,

I think that you are violating a copyright by cutting and pasting that story without permission. This could turn a good story about geocaching into an example of how geocachers ignore ownership of intellectual property.

I think a good move would be to delete the post with the quote in it before it gets Groundspeak in trouble and makes geocachers look bad.

- T of TandS

How about a cut n paste text quote so we don't have to register at the paper's website to read it please? Thx.

I went to bugmenot.com and entered the url of the article. I got the following login info and it worked fine. I love bugmenot.com for this stuff. It's a place that has a bunch of logons for sites such as the newspaper site that want you to make an account just to look at an article.

username: 3bohyf_chronicle@spamavert.com

password: 3eHNt3

[Edit]

Because the article was published in the newspaper I don't see that there should be any conflict with posting the text as long as proper attribution is given. The post should clearly identify the source of the text and it does so. (My wife is a reporter........)

Edited by Thrak

Because the article was published in the newspaper I don't see that there should be any conflict with posting the text as long as proper attribution is given. The post should clearly identify the source of the text and it does so. (My wife is a reporter........)

This is true if the source does not say that content is the copyright of the publisher and may not be republished without express written permission. The source is a newspaper, and does say that permission is required. You may only quote news sources, you may not publish them in entirety, with attribution in research and academic documents. Groundspeak Forums is not such a place.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

T of TandS is absolutely correct. As the person in charge of permissions for the above publication, I would formally request that you remove the text from the posting.

We allow links to our stories, but we do not allow copying and pasting of text in its entirety.

I understand most folks don't understand the ramifications of posting copyrighted material, or even what the big deal is, so here it is in a nutshell:

Reporters write stories for newspapers. Newspapers own the story. We rarely make money directly from the story but we have to pay the reporters, photographers, editors, buy newsprint, pay carriers to deliver the newspaper, etc. We make money by gettting folks to our web site and newspaper stands to read our material. If someone is posting our information, there is no need to come to our site or buy our paper. Thus, we cannot charge our advertisers a fair rate because we are not getting our fair share of hits on the site or purchases. Revenues suffer, the staff suffers, and on down the line.

In addition, there is now a comments section appended to each story on our site, and we love for folks to comment about the stories.

Bottom line: I spend a bunch of time every day asking folks to remove our content from sites such as this. Most readily comply because they are just usually confused by the copyright law. Some drag their feet, and some get taken to court.

I love the newspaper and I love geocaching, and I want them to co-exist peacefully in my world.

So, please remove the text and just leave the link. It only takes a moment to register and the story is worth it.

The article was a well written, in-depth and some great PR for the area that it was written in and about.

For the person who posted it, please respect the request of Salutations as part of their team works for the paper and they have gone out of their way present and in the past to help the community obtain great PR from the paper and this is a great relationship we do not want hurt because of, what I believe, was a honest mistake when it comes to copyright laws.

It is sad a great article had to be overshaowed by the way this thread has run, and I think it can quickly be put back on track about how good the article is.

::dusting off the ol' flame suit::