May Statistics

holograph

Kudos to AZcachemeister for assuming the lead for total recoveries submitted to the NGS. Since I turned the majority of my attention/effort to the low-volume business of historic boundary stones, I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody passed me. The AZ guy has been putting up impressive numbers and my hat's off to him.

Now the question is: How long can I hold on before PFF, wister6813, mloser and shorbird leave me in the dust as well?

Will

I have dropped two spots already! It is getting pretty hard to find marks now. I have to travel over 30 minutes to get to any decent hunting at all. The only ones left near me are the real difficult ones or ones I know won't exist any more (I guess I could just make a day of those and turn in the NFs but what fun is that!?). I can't see keeping my spot much longer as it is.

..not to worry, guys ! You've already earned your spots in the new Benchmarking Hall of Fame Museum being built in Cary, North Carolina !

..seriously - your logs & forum posts, along w/ a few other 'Benchmarking Old-Timers' have served as a valuable source of information & have probably directly contributed to the creation of a new generation of Benchmarking Obsessivists® (me, for one)!.

(Edit to add seriousness..)

Edited by Ernmark

Kudos to AZcachemeister for assuming the lead for total recoveries submitted to the NGS. Since I turned the majority of my attention/effort to the low-volume business of historic boundary stones, I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody passed me. The AZ guy has been putting up impressive numbers and my hat's off to him.

Now the question is: How long can I hold on before PFF, wister6813, mloser and shorbird leave me in the dust as well?

Will

WOW! I couldn't believe what I was reading...but I guess it's true.

Next stop, the lead in Geocaching recoveries?

My thanks for the recognition!

Anyone want to race me to the first recoveries in Greene County, PA; Wetzel County, WV; and Monongalia County, WV?

What's up in Nevada? Looks like a ripe plum ready for picking.

Greene County, PA? Got one this past Friday & submitted the NGS recovery yesterday.

JX0045

Also, got the 1883 Sinclair Survey stone on Brown's Hill (the western limit of the Mason-Dixon Survey) on the boundary between Greene Co., PA, and Monongalia Co., WV. Unfortunately, it's in neither the Geocaching nor NGS databases.

See USCGS West Line Stone (254), 1767 & 1883, PA-WV

Will

Been there. Done that. :lol:Brown's Hill

Long story. Andy Bear and I decided to go for the Project A.P.E. cache in Maryland. He said that he always wanted to go to Laurel Caverns. (Well, he meant Lurray Caverns, but that's not what he said!!) So, I planned the trip to go to Laurel Caverns! "Hmm..." Said I. One cache in West Virginia will color that state in! And with the Brown's Hill Marker nearby, I could log that for the Locationless Cache: Y'all Stop Fighting Now, Ya Hear? And we went on to Laurel Caverns, and stopped by Fallingwaters.

What confused me was that (in my innocence) I was expecting an original Mason-Dixon marker. And I find it with WV engraved on one side (not to mention the 1883). Great historical marker! Great log.

We will have to go back to visit Luray Caverns sometime. :)

..I was just looking at this month's map & it looks loke we're only 2 counties away from having a continuous line of color stretching from the E to W Coast - right between Detroit & Toledo and also in northern IN !

PS - also good to see MD fully colorized - seventhings, was that you? Now we've got to get a state in uniform color - DE, RI ? ..or more likely, AZ!?

..I was just looking at this month's map & it looks loke we're only 2 counties away from having a continuous line of color stretching from the E to W Coast - right between Detroit & Toledo and also in northern IN !

PS - also good to see MD fully colorized - seventhings, was that you? Now we've got to get a state in uniform color - DE, RI ? ..or more likely, AZ!?

Knowing this crew, we won't have to wait this long, but I'll probably be able to convince my Dad to get off the Interstate to hit up some marks in Northern Indiana and Northwest Ohio come August when we drive from Chicago to Boston to move me from the latter to the former. But like I said, I get the feeling that by August there'll be another 60 counties up there and the path will already have been blazed.

Greene County, PA? Got one this past Friday & submitted the NGS recovery yesterday.

JX0045

Also, got the 1883 Sinclair Survey stone on Brown's Hill (the western limit of the Mason-Dixon Survey) on the boundary between Greene Co., PA, and Monongalia Co., WV. Unfortunately, it's in neither the Geocaching nor NGS databases.

Will

So it appears Wetzel and Monongalia counties in WV are still 'available'?

HMMM! What about Clarion and Armstrong counties in PA?

JX0045

Will

So it appears Wetzel and Monongalia counties in WV are still 'available'?

..they're here waiting for ya! I made it as far west as Fayette County this past weekend & after about $40 worth of gas. Trying to stretch out to those last few western counties is really pushing it for me! Gosh why wasn't I BM hunting back when I used to do all that business traveling?! :D

- E

Just a question since most of you were in the contest we just participated in, I haven't logged any of my find for NOAA. Should I go back and log all my finds? I know I will change several colors now that I understand this a bit better. And if I do go back and log my finds will they all show up for June or will it change back months?

I made the road trip to get Maryland done--3 hours each way. Lots of marks strung along I-68. Working on Clarion and Armstrong Counties right now on paper, but not sure when I'll actually get out there. Glad to see that Greene County has a find--not too many there to begin with.

..not to worry, guys ! You've already earned your spots in the new Benchmarking Hall of Fame Museum being built in Cary, North Carolina !

I was on a roadtrip in Kentucky last month. It wasn't mainly about the benchmarks — watching them build Toyotas and seeing Calvin Borel ride in his first races at Churchill Downs after winning the Derby were highlights — but I did make it a point to stop off in a few of the white* counties to help add a little color to Holograph's map. Nearest virgin county to the DC area is a two-hour drive away if there's no traffic, and there's never no traffic.

While I look forward to the BHoFM (put me down for a fundraising brick), I think a more appropriate idea might be a Hollywood Walk of Fame-style Walk of Benchmarks, with star-emblazoned oversize disks honoring famous benchmarkers. I'm not sure where the best venue would be, but I am open to suggestions.

-ArtMan-

_____

* No reference to racial policies intended or implied.

>Should I go back and log all my finds?

Past finds logged to NGS must use the date of the find. That is when they were in the condition you saw. You don't know what could have happened since.

As I understand Holograph's process, they will then show up in the month they were logged, not the date of the find.

You aren't required to log them to NGS, but if you want to and feel you are making a contribution to improving their data, by all means go ahead. They don't want logs too frequently if nothing has changed (maybe 1 year or a few years apart) and no longer want found reports on intersection stations.

I do look at the map each month and appreciate all the work that goes into

keeping it current.Never considered counties touching each other from one

coast to the other.So....just dumb luck I benchmarked my way from Colo

Spgs CO to Great Bend KS on a spring Turkey trip.I think that got 3 counties

in CO and 4 in KS to get that gap closed.I was just having fun on the trip but

can't say my buddy was. He may not go with me next year!OH WELL! I'll be

able to stop MORE.

Hmm... Reminds me of a trip I took in my misspent youth. Flew into Denver (before the police state strip searched you to get on an airplane. Wait, I was frisked more than a few times in those days...) Two weeks, 2300 miles on the rental car, (Did I mention that I'm an NPS junkie?), seven states, two Canadian provinces, 17 NPS areas.

Hey, dude, help me find the benchmark, and we might make it to the motel before dark!

Now, I just eye Dutchess County, New York, and think about turning it green! And darkening all the counties in North Jersey!

I made the road trip to get Maryland done--3 hours each way. Lots of marks strung along I-68. Working on Clarion and Armstrong Counties right now on paper, but not sure when I'll actually get out there. Glad to see that Greene County has a find--not too many there to begin with.

I am happy to report that Armstrong County, PA and Clarion County, PA have had 9 and 14 GEOCAC recoveries (respectively) reported to the NGS this week. Fifteen for Clarion County if you count the water tank I mistakenly reported in my enthusiasm. Could have been a twenty-pointer in the contest too...someone found a nearby disk on a concrete post, and reported to the wrong PID, stating that it was 7-10 inches tall! :anitongue: