Introducing: Washington Forest Fire Lookout Challenge

The Navigatorz

Team Jac'd has 9 Bookmark lists, one for each of the nine areas of the lookout challenge. So if he wants to look up caches in a particluar area, he can open the appropriate bookmark list. He made them public so others can view them on his profile page under the Bookmark tab.

Would others prefer that I modify the official lookout challenge bookmark list in similar fashion? If so, I would still have only one bookmark list, but I would put the Area number in front of the title of each cache, i.e.

Area 1 - A Salute to Col. Bob

Area 1 - Capital Peek

and so on...

By doing that, the Bookmark list would prioritize the list alphabetically by Area first, then cache title second. In other words, Area 1s would be listed first, followed by Area 2s, etc.

Let me know if that would be more useful and I will change it. Thanks Team Jac'd for the idea.

Team Jac'd has 9 Bookmark lists, one for each of the nine areas of the lookout challenge. So if he wants to look up caches in a particluar area, he can open the appropriate bookmark list. He made them public so others can view them on his profile page under the Bookmark tab.

Would others prefer that I modify the official lookout challenge bookmark list in similar fashion? If so, I would still have only one bookmark list, but I would put the Area number in front of the title of each cache, i.e.

Area 1 - A Salute to Col. Bob

Area 1 - Capital Peek

and so on...

By doing that, the Bookmark list would prioritize the list alphabetically by Area first, then cache title second. In other words, Area 1s would be listed first, followed by Area 2s, etc.

Let me know if that would be more useful and I will change it. Thanks Team Jac'd for the idea.

That would be very helpful. You don't even have to include "Area" - just the number: "1 - Capital Peek". I do that for my bookmark 'found lookouts' list. In my Lookouts database in GSAK, I put the region numbers in a User Field.

Congratulations to Mr. Gadget #2 for completing the Washington Forest Fire Lookout Challenge. And of the 50 required lookouts to geocache at, half of them, 25, were visited in just the last month (since July 14). Wow!

Go go Gadget! ;) Congrats on an impressive achievement, and on having the time to do it.

I admit I was kinda rooting for Patudles to beat the boys, but your FTF is well-deserved!

Congratulations to Mr. Gadget #2 for completing the Washington Forest Fire Lookout Challenge. And of the 50 required lookouts to geocache at, half of them, 25, were visited in just the last month (since July 14). Wow!

Go go Gadget! :P Congrats on an impressive achievement, and on having the time to do it.

I admit I was kinda rooting for Patudles to beat the boys, but your FTF is well-deserved!

Thanks for the vote and congrats to Gadget on this accomplishment. I think he ate, drank and slept lookouts towards the end of completion. I know his busy work time is almost upon him and he wanted to complete this challenge before the potato season began. He was even out caching in the dark on one or two of them and I would hate to have his fuel bill. WAY TO GO, Gadget, on a job well done.

It has been reported by a geocacher that lives in the area that FS Road 5400 to Slate Peak and Harts Pass is now open. The Okanagan National Forest Website reports the same.

This road leads to three high elevation caches (one of them a lookout):

DEW Line (a lookout at Slate Peak and elevation 7416 ft)

Harts Pass (a short walk along the Crest Trail to a view of Slate Peak Lookout, elevation 6256 feet)

Windy Pass (a 3.75 mile hike on the Crest Trail to Windy Pass, elevation 6274 feet)

If anyone is interested in finding these geocaches this year, remember snow falls early in these high elevations. This picture of Slate Peak lookout in the snow was taken by Patudles three years ago on September 17.

Edited by The Navigatorz

It has been reported by a geocacher that lives in the area that FS Road 5400 to Slate Peak and Harts Pass is now open. The Okanagan National Forest Website reports the same.

This road leads to three high elevation caches (one of them a lookout):

DEW Line (a lookout at Slate Peak and elevation 7416 ft)

Harts Pass (a short walk along the Crest Trail to a view of Slate Peak Lookout, elevation 6256 feet)

Windy Pass (a 3.75 mile hike on the Crest Trail to Windy Pass, elevation 6274 feet)

If anyone is interested in finding these geocaches this year, remember snow falls early in these high elevations. This picture of Slate Peak lookout in the snow was taken by Patudles three years ago on September 17.

Hot dang! Time to visit the Barnabirdy(s)! :)

If you mean "Fire Lookouts of the Northwest" by Ray Kresek, that's the one. It's a great book about lookouts, with stories, photos, and information on over 3,000 lookouts in the Northwest. By the way, Ray also established the Fire Lookout Museum. just north of Spokane, open free to the public between March and November. I plan on visiting it next time I'm in the Spokane area.

I agree, Three Fingers is scary. On one side of the lookout is a 2400 foot cliff. You have to climb LADDERS to get to the TOP

I have a signed copy of that book -got it at Ray's Museum here in Spokane. I thought about hiding a cache there, but wasn't sure about the burden to Ray... perhaps I could find a way to do a small one just outside with his permission... :anitongue:

The museum is open to public, free, and he loves to give personal tours -it is in his backyard! There's even a restored L-6 there that you can climb into and get a bit of the feel of actually living there. I highly recommend making a visit if you are in the Spokane area. Just be sure to call ahead to make a reservation.

Cheers!

I finally made it to Area 8 of the lookout challenge this weekend, but first stopped at the Lookout Museum in North Spokane. What a treat that was. I met Ray Kresek and his wife Rita, then Ray showed me his collection...everything related to lookouts and firefighting. He has an L-6 cab in his back yard and a 1936 Guard Station which houses all of the historical artifacts. He had a collection of old Osborne firefinders, including this small one dating back to 1913. I think we visited for a couple of hours talking about lookouts and I think he was surprised I knew the names of so many of them, although the number I have visited pales in comparison to over 1000 he's been to in his 35 years with the Forest Service. Also interesting was the 38 species of evergreen trees growing in his backyard, one of each species found growing in Washington state forests. His museum was once featured on television on a special Peter Jennings report. Visitations are by appointment only so be sure to call ahead (ph. 509-466-9171). He seemed very interested in geocaching and wrote down the website. Who knows, he may be a new geocacher.

Two new lookout caches were approved September 4 and have been added to the WA Forest Fire Lookout Challenge Bookmark List:

Thorp Mt. Fire Lookout (GC15M2A) by lakaco is located in Area 4. It appears the lookout is currently undergoing renovation.

Stampede Pass Lookout Site (GC15JKC) by The Navigatorz is located in Area 5. The lookout was removed in 1974 and airlifted to Camp Waskowitz in North Bend.

There's a good article in the Seattle PI (Getaway Section) on fire lookouts, specifically Three Fingers Lookout.

Check it out HERE

Thanks xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy for the heads up regarding the article.

Thanks for the link - great article! Good coverage of the repairs to Kelly Butte, which several of us just visited last weekend (Long Live House Redstone). And Three Fingers....I was thinking of going there for Cache Ahead's cache soon, if I could get some company, but now I'm not so sure....

Perhaps this is a good place to indicate what I encountered when visiting First Butte Lookout on 08/04/07. To quote my log: "dentalstudent and I drove up quite early in the day so as not to inconvenience our camping families (i.e., return in time to make breakfast for them), but we ended up abruptly waking Mort (the eyes and ears of the First Butte Lookout) from her much-needed sleep (critical to staying sharp during her 9:30-6:30 stint -- yup, fire lookout staff actually have defined shifts!) After overcoming getting off on the wrong foot, we had a wonderful visit and agreed that we'd pass on a reminder that this is a working lookout, so please respect the necessary down-time essential to an alert fire lookout."

It would appear to be good community relations to spread a reminder that the manned lookouts are 24/7 worksites with scheduled downtime that should be respected. We ended up talking with Mort for over an hour and left on good terms (and ready to buy the lookout book), but the possible damage by off-hours visits (such as mine) is very real. ... a standardized caution on each lookout cache page?

Thanks Teese. runhills also visited First Butte recently and advised the same thing. As a result, I have added a paragraph to the cache page in Red letters advising geocachers that this is a manned lookout. First Butte Lookout. It might be a good idea for others who have hidden caches at manned lookouts to add a similar note on their cache page.

I placed a cache recently for the Oregon Lookout Challenge and there was a sign posted about 1/4 of a mile from the tower stating the watchman's hours. I guess it has been a problem at some time or another.

Perhaps this is a good place to indicate what I encountered when visiting First Butte Lookout on 08/04/07. To quote my log: "dentalstudent and I drove up quite early in the day so as not to inconvenience our camping families (i.e., return in time to make breakfast for them), but we ended up abruptly waking Mort (the eyes and ears of the First Butte Lookout) from her much-needed sleep (critical to staying sharp during her 9:30-6:30 stint -- yup, fire lookout staff actually have defined shifts!) After overcoming getting off on the wrong foot, we had a wonderful visit and agreed that we'd pass on a reminder that this is a working lookout, so please respect the necessary down-time essential to an alert fire lookout."

It would appear to be good community relations to spread a reminder that the manned lookouts are 24/7 worksites with scheduled downtime that should be respected. We ended up talking with Mort for over an hour and left on good terms (and ready to buy the lookout book), but the possible damage by off-hours visits (such as mine) is very real. ... a standardized caution on each lookout cache page?

Thanks Teese. runhills also visited First Butte recently and advised the same thing. As a result, I have added a paragraph to the cache page in Red letters advising geocachers that this is a manned lookout. First Butte Lookout. It might be a good idea for others who have hidden caches at manned lookouts to add a similar note on their cache page.

The Lookout Caches may now be viewed on an Interactive Google Map. A link for this has been added to the WA Forest Fire Lookout Challenge cache page (about halfway down the page).

I have noticed that the interactive google map either is using old data or isn't refreshing properly.

There is a cache in section 9 near Dayton, WA that was placed since my ill fated trip that way, that shows up on your orrigional map but not on the google map. It was placed long enough ago that it shouldn't be a issue of just being too new.

Figured you might want to check into that.

The Lookout Caches may now be viewed on an Interactive Google Map. A link for this has been added to the WA Forest Fire Lookout Challenge cache page (about halfway down the page).

I have noticed that the interactive google map either is using old data or isn't refreshing properly.

There is a cache in section 9 near Dayton, WA that was placed since my ill fated trip that way, that shows up on your orrigional map but not on the google map. It was placed long enough ago that it shouldn't be a issue of just being too new.

Figured you might want to check into that.

Yes, I noticed after I sent the link that Google maps (at least the way I upload waypoints into it) only display 100 waypoints at a time. Since there are 121 lookout caches, then 21 don't get displayed on the initial view. If you notice on the left side, there is a list of caches on 2 pages (see the bottom of the list). Page 1 consists of 100 caches, page 2 consists of the remaining 21. I wasn't too happy about that, so I'm in the process of showing 9 links on the cache page, one link for each of the 9 areas. So when you click the link named "Area 1", you will view a Google map of the caches in Area 1, and so forth. I'll have that on the page in a few days. I think that will be better and less confusing. Any suggestions? This has been a learning experience for me.

Anyone interested in a little WA Lookout Challenge trivia? I was bored today and while looking at a GSAK listing of the lookout caches, I noticed the following:

1) There are currently 121 caches available in the WA Lookout Challenge.

2) 91 of them are regular containers, 21 are small, 5 are micros, and 4 of the container sizes were not chosen.

3) The oldest lookout cache is Granite Mountain, placed on May 24, 2001.

4) The most common difficulty rating is 2.0 stars

5) The most common terrain rating is 3.0 stars

6) The cache with the highest difficuly rating: Granite Mountain with 4 stars

7) Two caches (tie) with the highest terrain rating: Top Side and Three Fingers (both with 5 stars)

8) The area with the most lookout caches: Area 3 with 25 caches available

9) The area with the least lookout caches: Area 7 with 6 caches available

10) The state with the most caches listed in the WA lookout challenge: Washington :D

11) The loneliest cache: The Butte (GCGEFH) by rentakid. Only 1 find in 4 over years.

12) The most visited cache: Big Cache at Little Mountain (GC1AC6). 200 finds

13) Number of Lookout caches hidden by year: 6 in 2001. 9 in 2002. 18 in 2003. 21 in 2004. 24 in 2005. 15 in 2006. 28 in 2007 (so far).

See, I told you I was bored.

-----

Edited to correct trivia #9.

Edited by The Navigatorz

I made a map showing the locations of the over 650 lookouts and lookout sites in the state of Washington. Its useful for me in that when new caches are hidden, I can check the distance from the cache to the lookout site. If anyone needs coordinates to a lookout you are interested in, send me an email and I will let you know. The red dots are the lookouts with geocaches, and the blue dots are lookouts without geocaches.

b74a5aa3-678a-4949-a915-16233692abd4.jpg

I see (or is that don't see?) several lookout sites which are missing on this latest map. How was it generated?

I used a topographical map software for WA state and did search for each lookout by name. From the search result I took the coordinates and plugged them into Streets and Trips. There are a few that I couldn't confirm the location based on elevation or distance from a city. If I didn't get a match with elevations, it didn't go on the map. I didn't want to guess. For me to administer the lookout challenge, its a tool I can use to upload a weekly query of new caches and see which ones are within 0.1 miles of a lookout location. If you have coordinate info of any that are missing you'd like to share tht would be great.

Hello from Czech Republic. I was fortunate to be able to go to an old fire watch lookout tower near Krnov (northeast Czech near the border of Poland). See my log with photos:Fire Lookout. One of the locals told me this tower is about 150 years old. Unfortunately the stairs to the top is open in the summer months and the geocache is at the very top. But it was nice to see it anyway and enjoy the view.

Just wanted to let you guys know that the Lookout Challenge has been nominated for Cache of the Month on the WSGA website

http://geocachingwa.org/

The cache of the month voting takes place in the forums, under cache of the month, then october voting.

You don't have to find the cache, just hearing good things about it is enough. Also you don't have to be a member to vote!

Hello from Czech Republic. I was fortunate to be able to go to an old fire watch lookout tower near Krnov (northeast Czech near the border of Poland). See my log with photos:Fire Lookout. One of the locals told me this tower is about 150 years old. Unfortunately the stairs to the top is open in the summer months and the geocache is at the very top. But it was nice to see it anyway and enjoy the view.

Looks like they build their lookout towers to last over there.

Wow, that's cool!!! Too bad you couldn't get the cache.

WOW what a cool lookout! Too bad you couldn't get the cache but great that you got to visit and get some photos. Thanks for sharing the link/photos!

Yesterday I recieved "The Navigatorz" new personal geo-coin for being the first to complete the Wa. State Fire Lookout Challenge. It is my understanding that all finishers will receive one also. Other may be lucky enough to find one in Fire Lookout caches as time progress. If you want a sneak peak, go the The Navigatorz" profile page.

Yesterday I recieved "The Navigatorz" new personal geo-coin for being the first to complete the Wa. State Fire Lookout Challenge. It is my understanding that all finishers will receive one also. Other may be lucky enough to find one in Fire Lookout caches as time progress. If you want a sneak peak, go the The Navigatorz" profile page.

I got one in the mail yesterday as well, and that is one FINE looking coin. Thanks Nav!

Here is a photo of my new geocoin. I will be dropping these into lookout caches, high elevation caches, or caches with a great view, and giving them as gifts to those who complete the WA Lookout Challenge. I thought they turned out pretty nice. I purchased 250 of them through coinsandpins.com. They are polished nickel and 1-5/8" diameter. The image on the front of the coin represents Red Top Mountain lookout (see my avatar photo). Unfortunately, since it is winter, I won't be able to get to the lookouts or high elevation caches for a few months, but look for these to appear in those locations beginning next spring. They are trackable at geocaching.com and have their own unique icon: fdc69fb2-a4c8-49be-9158-ed9ba911ca7e.jpg

I have nearly completed posting pages for each and every lookout site in Washington State in the regional pages on my website. I have a little bit of tweeking to do yet on some pages. Certain sites were so obscure I wasn't able to determine with total confidence where they were located using Topozone. I have added reference links to existing geocaches and benchmarks that relate to each site, if any. I may have missed a few pieces of info or forgot to edit a field such as the county; if you notice anything that looks out of place, drop me a note and I'll update it. The info comes from Ray Kresek's "Fire Lookouts of the Northwest".

It has been a long-term goal of mine to have info posted for every lookout site in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Washington went relatively well, considering I had pages already there for not quite half of the 656 or so sites, it took me about a month to do. Hopefully the info will help folks find more places to hide geocaches for the challenge!

I have nearly completed posting pages for each and every lookout site in Washington State in the regional pages on my website. I have a little bit of tweeking to do yet on some pages. Certain sites were so obscure I wasn't able to determine with total confidence where they were located using Topozone. I have added reference links to existing geocaches and benchmarks that relate to each site, if any. I may have missed a few pieces of info or forgot to edit a field such as the county; if you notice anything that looks out of place, drop me a note and I'll update it. The info comes from Ray Kresek's "Fire Lookouts of the Northwest".

It has been a long-term goal of mine to have info posted for every lookout site in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Washington went relatively well, considering I had pages already there for not quite half of the 656 or so sites, it took me about a month to do. Hopefully the info will help folks find more places to hide geocaches for the challenge!

Thanks WR7X. Awesome work. I can appreciate the effort it takes to do that because I also searched for each lookout site in WA when I created a database for my use in managing the lookout challenge, but you went a several steps further by making it available to everyone on the internet, and linking each dot (lookout site) to a cache page with photos, links to nearby benchmarks, and links to nearby geocaches, plus other useful information. Your site is a great tool and I will be using it on a regular basis (like this spring when I head to Washington Butte and Goat Mtn near Pateros). Thanks again and good luck on completing the same for Oregon, Idaho, and Montana.

There is a new cache (hidden 1/1/2008) at a lookout site in Area 1. See MAP. The yellow highlighted dot represents the location of the new cache: Dennie Ahl Lookout by ruck (Waypoint GC18A9E).

That is not the only new cache in area 1. B) I see you have it on your bookmark list already.

Grisdale Hill

Site of an old fire look out tower. A tower was built here in the 1940's and then abandoned. I did not look around much in the snow but I found one of the anchors. Here is a GPX track log (right click to save) to help you find your way.

c42b9953-157e-47e8-8162-998c10b9324d.jpg

I also have a Lookout Cache on South Mountain and this is the perfect time to go for it. With most of the high country closed you can still get some good exercise on South Mountain. South Mountain is just outside of Shelton. I have put a downlaodable .GPX tracklog on the cachepage.

65c890e3-fc6a-4078-b77e-a29e6387aeea.jpg

aa897ac5-d656-478d-bb98-1b30d37480f9.jpg

I will see if I can put a cache on nearby Dayton Peak too.

Edited by luckykoi

That is not the only new cache in area 1. B) I see you have it on your bookmark list already.

Awesome. I posted a note on the WA Lookout Challenge page about your new cache (Grisdale Hill), but forgot to post it here. Thanks for the new cache, and I'll keep an eye out for Dayton Peak cache if you hide one there too.

Dayton Peak Lookout (Waypoint GC1983X) is another new cache in Area 1 that qualifies for the challenge. Hidden February 9 by ruck. Its located about 6 miles W of Shelton.

Now thats just about funny. 2 people post seperately about the same peak... Cool!

The Steaks