Magellan Explorist 400

I was under the impression the only difference between the original white Explorist 400 and the newer green ones was the color - changed for marketing reasons only.

I was just glancing at the current specs on Magellan's web site and noticed something else: 16 megabytes user data and a 16 megabyte base map 32 meg total memory.

My white one only has 16m total - base map is a little over 8 meg.

Of course, M has posted confusing and incorrect info on their website before. Anybody got a green one they could check to confirm the specs? Put it in file transfer mode to see how large the mounted volume appears to be, and also the size & date of the \Background Maps\BASEMAP.MGI file?

On my white exp400, the background map has a size of 8,565,606 bytes and is dated January 14, 2005.

Lee

I have a new 400 (about 4 months old) and the color is green. It has a total of 32 meg of memory. I have a 512 meg SD card from SanDisk inserted. I only use the "internal" memory to store POI's, tracks, and the location of the caches I have out. Since I use the GPX files to locate caches, it takes more memory, that is why I use the SD card. I have all the caches in the state of Iowa on the SD card, broken up into regions of the state. I do understand that Magellan upgraded the memory on the 400's about a year ago. Also if you Google the Explorist 400 for firmware updates, you will find a firmware upgrade offered to the European users and not to the users of the North American units. Why I am not sure of. I have installed this firmware upgrade to my 400 as well as to my son's 210. Works wonders with both the units. New screens to use as well as a way to mark caches as found on the 210's. I have seen the accuracy increase by at least 10 to 12 feet. If you decide to use the firmeware update remember to back up your unit to you harddrive. It will clean out your internal memory. After the update, just transfer the date back to you 400. On Magellan's website you will not be offered this upgrade, but if you follow the link from Google, it takes you into the Megellan's overseas site. You will not be required to regester the unit to download the firmware. I do have the fireware update saved on a USB Flash stick. If you would like it can be zipped and e-mailed.

"old" devildog

You've got me wondering about this, too, Lee. My 500 seems to have 16MB internal memory, half of which is taken up by the same basemap you described. That matches what I had written up in the original review I did with Jack Yeazel on gpsinformation.net.

I'm seeing that the current Magellan product lists states a 16MB basemap is on the current 400/500/600, along with 16MB user data (and, obviously, that can't be filled with the basemap so it must be distinct). FWIW, I only see the 8MB basemap on the Russian site--not that they would necessarily have the 16MB basemap if it existed.

I guess I'd appreciate someone with a recent 4/5/600 purchase verifying the size and date of their NA basemap for us. It's hard for me to imagine that there are two different sizes, if they are starting to include basemaps in firmware upgrades--there would need to be two different packages available. :P

...I have a new 400 (about 4 months old) and the color is green. It has a total of 32 meg of memory. ...
Thanks. Could you check one more thing for me?

Put yours in file transfer mode, and let me know the size & date of the \Background Maps\BASEMAP.MGI file on the internal memory?

Edited by lee_rimar
...I have a new 400 (about 4 months old) and the color is green. It has a total of 32 meg of memory. ...

Put yours in file transfer mode, and let me know the size & date of the \Background Maps\BASEMAP.MGI file on the internal memory?

I've got the green version of the 400. Basemap.mgi file is 8,365 KB

Hope that helps...

bio

I've got the green version of the 400. Basemap.mgi file is 8,365 KB

Hope that helps...

bio

Sorry, date for that basemap is 1/14/2005

I'd like to know if anyone has something different.

bio