Where to buy bulk Decon containers?

vhs07

Just don't. There are many better options out there for about the same size. I've seen more poorly closed decon container then anything else, including 35 mm film cans.

I've placed several decon caches and I haven't had an issue. I used my inkjet printer to make RED, BOLD notices that I then taped to the inside of the lid (using heavy box tape to seal it from moisture) that say to please make sure that all 4 corners are snapped shut tightly. So far everybody has done so and a number have even made a point of saying so in their logs.

I purchased 20 from the first site linked - the one that is currently out of stock :blink: and they were pretty cheap. I think they ended up being a couple of bucks each including shipping. IF they are closed properly they are excellent containers. I've found more poorly closed tupperware type containers............

Most all of the decon containers I've seen at my local surplus store are missing the lid gasket. Be careful buying them online as you'll not have a way to know if they have the gasket or not. I suppose you could buy a replacement gasket but who wants to go to all that trouble?

Just don't. There are many better options out there for about the same size. I've seen more poorly closed decon container then anything else, including 35 mm film cans.

I've placed several decon caches and I haven't had an issue. I used my inkjet printer to make RED, BOLD notices that I then taped to the inside of the lid (using heavy box tape to seal it from moisture) that say to please make sure that all 4 corners are snapped shut tightly. So far everybody has done so and a number have even made a point of saying so in their logs.

I purchased 20 from the first site linked - the one that is currently out of stock :D and they were pretty cheap. I think they ended up being a couple of bucks each including shipping. IF they are closed properly they are excellent containers. I've found more poorly closed tupperware type containers............

Just wondering if you felt the need to make the "How to Properly Close My Containers" notes for any other type of cache you have placed? :blink:

I purchased 20 from the first site linked - the one that is currently out of stock :P and they were pretty cheap. I think they ended up being a couple of bucks each including shipping. IF they are closed properly they are excellent containers. I've found more poorly closed tupperware type containers............

Just wondering if you felt the need to make the "How to Properly Close My Containers" notes for any other type of cache you have placed? :P

Nope but then I've found a lot of tupperware type containers that, apparently, should have had instructions. Since I had read previously about decon containers that weren't sealed properly I put the cautionary notice on the inside of the lid. It didn't take much effort. Perhaps folks should place similar warnings on their "foolproof" tupperware........

Here's the How to Close a Decon video:

http://finormile.com/img/decon_field.wmv

I used to place a lot of them, when I could buy them locally for $1. Now that they cost what they cost, I use lock and locks. Most people don't need to watch a video to close a lock and lock

I found an opened decon today...soggy, definitely soggy

Now that was a funny video. Sadly, it is needed by many. That's why I place my simple notice on the inside of the lid. It rains a LOT here and I haven't had a soggy one yet - including one that is on the ground with rotten log detritus on top of it which holds a ton of moisture.

I used to place a lot of them, when I could buy them locally for $1. Now that they cost what they cost, I use lock and locks. Most people don't need to watch a video to close a lock and lock

Honestly, thanks for sharing. I never knew that. :P It makes me want to go check the ones i have found. Did you make the video? Can i use it?

I've pretty much given up on decons because of wet caches. At one time I probably had a dozen or more caches out there in decon boxes. Got sick of drying them out, so I finally removed them all and went with small

Lock n Locks.

Some don't seal well and the ones that do, people can't seem to get the hang of closing them :P .

I now use them as cache swag, or for the middle stages of multis where I can put the coords in several layers of Ziplocs.

Most all of the decon containers I've seen at my local surplus store are missing the lid gasket. Be careful buying them online as you'll not have a way to know if they have the gasket or not. I suppose you could buy a replacement gasket but who wants to go to all that trouble?

I've probably purchased close to 50 decon boxes from a variety of sources since I began geocaching.

I bet I've also found another 50 caches in decon boxes. Not one had a gasket.

I'm beginning to think the gasket is an old wive's tale.

Edited by briansnat

Thus far decons are working fairly good locally. They are used over film canisters anymore. Film canisters even when closed correctly leak. Decons hold up fairly well. I'm finding about 10 good one for everone 1 that isn't closed all the way.

It's only recently that I've even seen lock n lock here. We don't have moon pies either.

... I'm beginning to think the gasket is an old wive's tale.

Armysurpluswarehouse.com is our local Army Surpluse store. After digging through the bins looking for one with a gasket. I agree. Pure bunk. Someone is gonig to have to show me one with a gasket before I believe they ever had them.

I've never seen one with a gasket either....

They make a great durable container for our climate. :ph34r:

It's the OD green color and the attached hook. They're really perfect as cache containers in the woods. Pity they're becoming scarce.

I've never seen a gasket either.

The decons I was buying in '03 and '04 were easier to open and close then the more recent cans. I assume a different supplier. They were always dry. The more recent ones are tough to open and close, so people only snap down the front corners, leaving the back unsealed.

Not sure how these compare in price with other places, but:

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.../product/130401

I just made a purchase from them now and will keep everyone posted on how I make out. The prices weren't bad, 9.95 for 4, I also bought some 30 cal ammo cans and found shipping to be pretty reasonable. The web site isn't the greatest but I spoke to Angie through the website chat feature and she seemed pleasant and knowledgeable.

I've been "playing" with decon kits since '82. Never saw one with a gasket, even in the military. I own a few as caches, and had trouble with two of them. Both were in direct contact with the ground, in a high moisture area, and both collected moisture. I moved one to an above ground position, and replaced the other with a Pelican Micro 1010 case. So far, I haven't found a suspended decon with moisture in it. I have seen Lock-n-Locks, Tupperware, Gladware, film canisters, and even ammo cans that apparently could've used closing instructions. :blink::D:lol:

Hi all,

A year or so back I saw a post on where to buy Decon containers. I've tried searching back thru the post but I get too many hits to search thru.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Charles

Try this, I just got 10 last week: http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/produc...m?productID=559

Whoops! Looks like they are out of stock. Sorry!

Ron, the link given does not work. Also, until this thread, I only knew of this place to by decons.

Fun video.

I recall someone on the forums a couple of years ago mentioning a LnL that was reported wet. People were putting the lid on upside down! :unsure:

A year or so back I saw a post on where to buy Decon containers. I've tried searching back thru the post but I get too many hits to search thru.

Can anyone help?

You could try the Space Coast Geocachers Store:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3e-bd30f32ca583

I was just in there yesterday and they showed me one; however, I have no idea how many they have in stock.

This thread is six months old. The OP has probably found some, by now. Edited by sbell111

We have to definitely agree with Isonzo Karst's position on the decon vs. Lock N Lock debate. We have come across several decons in our area that were not moisture resistant even when closed properly. I believe this has to do with an apparent (due to popular opinion) lack of a gasket or seal of some kind.

The Lock N Locks all have a nice gasket on them and do not take an engineering degree to figure out how to put the lid on properly. In fact I will have to try to put it on upside down to see if it is even possible! By having many different sizes of Lock N Locks we have nearly always been able to find a size that suits our needs.

Did I hear Monte Python yelling "Bring out the dead!"?

Yes, I'm afraid Decon containers have gone the way of disposable cameras inside caches. They even sucked to open and close when I joined the Army in 1983. :unsure:

I agree, the availability and low price of lock-n-lock's (or knock-offs) have made these annoying containers obsolete. I still actually have one out there. I had a second one, but when it went missing, I replaced it with, you guessed it, a hanging lock-n-lock, about the same size. Forget about it, and hit the supermarket, if you want my advice. :D

Yes, I'm afraid Decon containers have gone the way of disposable cameras inside caches. They even sucked to open and close when I joined the Army in 1983. :unsure:

I agree, the availability and low price of lock-n-lock's (or knock-offs) have made these annoying containers obsolete. I still actually have one out there. I had a second one, but when it went missing, I replaced it with, you guessed it, a hanging lock-n-lock, about the same size. Forget about it, and hit the supermarket, if you want my advice. :D

My sample size is too small to draw conclusions but...i've seen several Decon's that seem to be impervious to being muggled. One was in view draped over a fence.

I think the reference was to people dragging up an almost four-year-old thread. I think the OP either has his answer, or he has forgotten he had even asked the question!

I think the reference was to people dragging up an almost four-year-old thread. I think the OP either has his answer, or he has forgotten he had even asked the question!

Well, read some of the posts in the four year old thread (and the other one linked to by the guy who bumped it the other day), and several of them echo my same sentiments. Decon's, in a word, suck. Although I do agree the Monty Python reference was probably for the bump. :lol:

EDIT: By the way, Team Cotati hasn't posted in who knows how long, a year? But he posted to this thread years ago, and I'd just like to say the Greasemonkey script for putting a shirt on his avatar still works.

Edited by Mr.Yuck
WHATS so difficult? Fingers on the bottom thumbs on the top,,, snap it closed.
That's the problem. People think it's "snap it closed", but it's really "snap, snap, snap, snap it closed". I've found quite a few decon boxes that were snapped closed on only some of the corners.