Lost Rat

One of our hides, Cache the Rat, went missing but the cache container with the logbook was put back in the spot. The container was hidden inside a rubber rat. After fulfilling its duty as a mascot, its inside bead guts were extracted and the cache container (a hotel shampoo bottle) was slipped inside. The container held only a log roll and the geocache explanation page, printed to fit with the log roll.

The words "Thanks for the rat a[$$] holes" was scrawled sloppily in pen on the back of the geocaching explanation paper. One team of cachers signed the log "Thanks for the rat" on May 18, 2007 and did not enter an online log. The cache page only gives coordinates to registered users so they'd need a username. We cannot find this team. We can't imagine a geocacher intentionally sabotaging a cache like that and anyone tending the cemetery would have thrown out the rat, complete with cache container, and not left such an uncouth note, so we can rule those possibilities out.

Not knowing what else to do with this weird situation, I decided to mock up an article about the rubber rat-napping. :blink:

It's really surprised me on what can happen to a cache. We're still newbies and were prepared for hides to go missing, become damaged, etc. We were not prepared for the Rat to go missing, the cache to be left in its proper place, and such a rude sentiment shared with everyone.

Anyone have any other interesting losses to share?

- Mrs. HH

HauntHunters

Edited to make the link work.

Edited by HauntHunters

It seems like someone is collecting Rats.I sent out a TB named Willard (TBJJW3)..It was placed into a cache in Arizona..The cache has since been archived.I emailed the owner of that cache and was told he would check on it but no word since.Its been a few months so it must be MIA.I will send out a replacement in a few months.

My caching partner and I found a cache called "Tool Time." It was a plastic toolbox and the theme was tools. The container had been broken, the contents stolen, and the logbook was full of terrible, hate-filled, homophobic comments. :) Obviously, that container had been found by non-geocachers. Things like what you experienced do happen and it is sad, and sometimes shocking, how others decide to mess with our fun game. :blink:

I'm a co-owner of The Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge, a cache that requires finding 69 other caches across the State in order to receive the coordinates for the final cache. The reward for all that work is a spectacular hike to one of the most remote locations in Pennsylvania, where we hid a cache with more than $100 worth of trade goodies. Instead of McToys and golf balls, this ammo box was full of jump drives, compasses, maglites and geocoins.

This weekend, DocDiTTo sought out the final cache as his 1000th find. He found that the cache had been muggled, with nothing left in the ammo box except... a Subway sandwich wrapper. Miles from the nearest paved road, and 500 feet from the nearest trail, someone had chosen the same random spot in the woods to make a campfire and stay awhile. They had a good bonus prize.

I own 30 or so active caches. If you asked me which one was the least likely to be muggled, I'd have chosen the DeLorme Challenge final. Until yesterday.

I have just noticed a few log reports of not so nice comments being written in logs out here in the St. Louis 'burbs. On the plus side, at least for muggled caches are not being removed or destroyed though one was set on fire a month or so ago.

We found a cache in KY that had been found by some high school kids while they were smoking pot...it was around a small lake and in a small clearing, obviously a great place for kids to play hooky. But the logs were really funny. There were some swear words, but for the most part it seems like they thought it was the coolest thing ever..and they put it back...of course there weren't any "cool" swag items in it (or maybe there were and they took theM?) but I thought it was funny that they wrote on the log book and put it back!