How is your significant other when it come to Geocaching?

One more tidbit about relationships, whether friendship or dating. It's all about give and take. Compromise. Putting the other person first. If you find a girl you like and she doesn't necessarily like caching or is reluctant to cache, try finding out what SHE likes. Participate in some activities that she enjoys and I guarantee she will be much more likely to come caching with you without complaint. And if you can incorporate some of her interests (does she like to go for walks, is she into fitness, does she like flowers, does she like history, etc.) into your initial caching ventures, you will be much more likely to find a partner to cache with regularly. :(

Did I mention compromise? :) We've only been married 11 years and best friends for over 20 years, but that is the biggest word in our relationship.

I wish you the best! I remember being 19. It was a little while ago. It's not an easy age. Dating is hard. Relationships are hard. But the good ones are worth the work. I promise.

My wife thinks it's stupid. She likes going for walks but gets annoyed when we keep having to stop...

Ditto, wife and kids will go along on cache hunts, but have limited paitence if the hunt takes more than a little while. I loathe to admit defeat and leave.

Basically how is your significant other when it comes to geocaching?, they jump right in and are forever your geocaching partner? Do they think its either stupid or insane? Share your experiences. I personally have a hard time finding a girl my age that is attractive and ready to get a little dirty and adventurous in search of a cache.

My wife, Chicken, is the outdoorsie type and loves to geocache. She is like me in that she likes the friendly FTF competition and will be ready to go when a new cache comes out,,, even when they come out at 2 in the morning. :) As far as getting a little dirty, she's in it for the find and doesn't mind long hikes, wading through the mud, or bushwhacking through the forest. There is a standing joke about how she can cache all day or finish a 12 mile hike and look as fresh as when she started. None of us have figured out how she does that! :):(:)

...someone down to earth with average proportions, brown hair and a nice smile. ...at a age like mine in my late teens you just cant seem to get any girl interested in doing anythign outdoors or adventurous particularly geocaching.

This sounds like Ghia girl! She's cool! I would've put in her pic, but can't figure out how :) There's a pretty good one on her profile page, that's a couple of years old.

My husband tolerates geocaching. He's willing to drive, and help search, but he doesn't really "get it". He likes going with groups, and likes events. Luckily, he's very supportive of my hobby, even if he does poke fun!

You know, going to geocaching events is a great idea to meet people who like caching! Have fun!

Well, since I answered the question earlier, let me toss in my two cents. Best suggestion I have seen here was the one about joining the university hiking or outdoors club, if you've got one. If not, go to the local REI, or some other outdoor store, and find out what hiking or skiing clubs are in the area.

Or, if you are a pathfinder, organize a geocaching club at school! That way, you'd know everybody!

Well, since I answered the question earlier, let me toss in my two cents. Best suggestion I have seen here was the one about joining the university hiking or outdoors club, if you've got one. If not, go to the local REI, or some other outdoor store, and find out what hiking or skiing clubs are in the area.

Or, if you are a pathfinder, organize a geocaching club at school! That way, you'd know everybody!

I was the one who suggested it and the REI club was a great idea since he said he's in a very small and limited school. Your profile (the OP) says you live in Toronto, that is like (I've been there quite a lot since my sis lives in Buffalo) Canada's version of NY City, and a place with such a vast and varied human landscape I'm sure will have a club like that with people who have your interests (and attractive girls to boot!). Again, lots of luck!

I got rid of my significant other as he didn't like geocaching nearly as much as me! (along with a few other reasons) I have found 95 caches in 6 months-before that it took 5 years to find 200!! It would be nice to someday find a nice man who shares some of my interests (especially geocaching)-if it is meant to be......

I was the one who suggested it and the REI club was a great idea since he said he's in a very small and limited school. Your profile (the OP) says you live in Toronto, that is like (I've been there quite a lot since my sis lives in Buffalo) Canada's version of NY City, and a place with such a vast and varied human landscape I'm sure will have a club like that with people who have your interests (and attractive girls to boot!). Again, lots of luck!

Im actually thinking of starting a geocaching club im my community/school, in my immediate group of friends there is alot of negativity toward geocaching so it could be a double bonus for me.

Mrs SQ is right next door to being the perfect geospouse. She not only enjoys going, but does so much more than just tag along.

There are times I don't feel like going and she gets me out there (especially to meet goals like keepin gmy streak alive). If I decide on a whim to look for a cache when we are doing something else, she's cool with it. If she needs me to take her somewhere, she' s fine if I drop her off and go cache until she's ready to go (and she's not pissed at all if she has to wait on me cuz I''m in the middle of a hunt or if I wandered too far off). She go with me just about anywhere, but if it starts getting to long or too much bushwhacking gets involved, she'll stop where she is and wait for me to go on, find the prize, and return.

I could probably go on and on with the things she does to not just participate, but to keep me going, but I'll stop there. I think you get the idea.

This sounds like Ghia girl! She's cool! I would've put in her pic, but can't figure out how :) There's a pretty good one on her profile page, that's a couple of years old.

751451b8-99bf-4cf9-b39e-53e819313d5f.jpg

Wow! Nice car! Note my online name. It stands for my 1960 VW Karmann Ghia.

Im actually thinking of starting a geocaching club im my community/school, in my immediate group of friends there is alot of negativity toward geocaching so it could be a double bonus for me.

Oh yeah!You said your friends thought it was 'gay'. :):(:) And again,I wouldn't expect anything less of an observation from 16-25 YO guys.

Side note-Ghiagirl is smokin! B):)

my wife really enjoys going out on hunts with me. If she didn't, I am sure she would be cool with me going it alone. Glad she likes it though - it has given us some more time together. Now my 13 year old son....... he acts like he is not into it - and won't go every time - but when he does go - he enjoys it for sure!

What are others experience with young teen kids?

When I originally signed up, I had a different username. After about 250r so finds, my wife and kids began getting frustrated when the log woudl get signed by that name, since it was only indicative of me. So, my sweet wife decided it was time for a name change and dubbed us Sixpack-O-Stephens

She loves it almost as much as i do. My 4 sons love it too. We all enjoy it for different reasons and enjoy different aspects of it. I love the hunt ad the numbers or if. The kids dig the McSwag and Mrs. Sixpack loves the caches that get us off the beaten path.

We took a family vacation to the Grand canyon this year and cached on the whole time. It was one of the best vacations I have even had.

I have a job that has a great schedule and I am off at about 3:00 each day. Last week, we were all bored and decided to go for a drive in our area to some of the smaller towns around us and do some caching.

I just have to say this, no reflection on anyone who has commented so far, that many guys SAY they want an outdoorsy girl who doesn't mind getting dirty and who isn't prissy and girly-girl, but that's the type that they always end up dating. Why? because they want "pretty" girls that tend to be rather high maintenence. In other words, they want the looks without the hassle...and then, they complain when that good-looking girl isn't willing to get dirty.

Sorry, this is no comment on the OP, I think he has made it clear that he's not just looking for someone who looks good. I've just been thinking about this lately and thought I'd explain why just looks can be the downfall for a relationship.

Back on topic! I love to geocache and my boyfriend loves it too. We really enjoy going out together and if I do say so myself, I'm fairly attractive AND I don't mind getting dirty! So keep looking and you'll find someone who shares your interests and is a lot of fun to be with.

My little caching clan - Myself, GeoRose and our children.

Thanksgiving06079-1.jpg

Yup, they all cache! None as avid as myself, but then they have lives; I'm retired.

GeoRose took her caching name from a rosary she found in her first cache in 2003.

My youngest is 17 (leftmost in pic), loves caching, and uses it to weed out the losers... If they won't go caching with her she dumps them, but even then they better have a nice truck and be comfortable dressed for a party too! She's a sporty-girl and a girly-girl, a curious mix of uninhibited outdoors and sexy man-killer, like her mom! Raised in the city she magically developed an affinity for country boys.

So they do exist! I see girls just like her at many of the events I attend. Get thee to events, young man!

GeoRose is not a very social person, she doesn't often attend events, and when we cache she wants to go to caches that I have found, know contain goodies, and are easy to get to. Yet she walks 2 miles a day at our local track!

She retires in 2 years and it is our plan to follow her travel bug GeoRose Is Almost There around the country, seeing the places it has been.

Married 33 years, to me she's as beautiful at 54 as she was at 19, but I promise you that looks are the very least part of a good relationship!

Normally I cache without my wife. When I zoom out the door for a FTF attempt at 10:30 PM on a work night (have to get up at 6:00 AM) she shakes her head and sometimes tells me I'm a dork. However, she is smiling when she says it.

When we go to a neighboring town for an event we cache together for a couple of hours first and, if it's an afternoon event, afterwards. I think we did 25 or so when we went to the last lunch event.

On vacations we cache together a bit as well. We went camping this past weekend. We took extra time off so we left on Thursday and came home on Sunday. Mostly we just camped. We did a couple of 3 or 4 mile hikes but there weren't caches at the end of them. One was to a lake and the other to a waterfall. We did a few caches on the way to the campground and then some on the way home. I think the total was 25 for this trip as well. However, when we had been on the road for several hours without significant progress toward home, she was obviously tired of caching and wanted to just get home so I stopped caching.

Hopefully that answers the original question. :blink:

My wife tolerates it and lets me go out for a few hours most weekends. She's not interested in going along though as the idea of snakes, spiders, thorns, and poison ivy kills it for her. My 3 year old boy comes along occasionally but he's mostly interested in the playground. That's me and my little family of muggles. :blink:

Basically how is your significant other when it comes to geocaching?, they jump right in and are forever your geocaching partner? Do they think its either stupid or insane? Share your experiences. I personally have a hard time finding a girl my age that is attractive and ready to get a little dirty and adventurous in search of a cache.

Come on down to Alabama!

Here's a for instance, if you can keep up with her! http://x.r2designs.com/index.php?name=Your...amp;profile=376

My wife tolerates it and lets me go out for a few hours most weekends. She's not interested in going along though as the idea of snakes, spiders, thorns, and poison ivy kills it for her. My 3 year old boy comes along occasionally but he's mostly interested in the playground. That's me and my little family of muggles. :)

Lemme see. On her first cachin' experience she was almost a weekend boating statistic when bbelk's overloaded party boat took a dolphin dive with me at the helm followed by a 3.5 terrain hike of well over a mile in flip flops on a pretty hot day and with a final uphill scramble of 300 yards through cactus and cedars to find an ammo can filled with McToys. Followed by running out of water on the way back and having to see me, Sawdust, and Oger all taking a geo-whiz near one cache.

I was reminded of the hike out of the woods in the original Parent Trap movie.... :P Not a happy camper was she. :P

You're lucky she still wanted to speak to you afterword. :P

I took the Snoogstress and her mom out on a cold February day. They were done cachin' pretty much for good afer just 2 caches and less than half a mile hiking.

I haven't been able to drag her to anything but an event ever since. :P

At first she wasn't interested however she used geocaching as a reward once, as in 'If you'll go with me to visit my parents in ID, you can geocache on the way home to WA'. On that trip back she got the bug and truth to tell she is better at finding the elusive cache once I get her within 20 feet of the location. She doesn't want to deal with the techie side of it. She just likes to find the cache. She is my favorite caching buddy.

When I ask my better half to attend an event, I always get asked where are the "spouses of geo-cachers" group meeting? I wish someone would start this group so I could have more time to cache... :P

Seriously, I can usually be persuasive if it involves a good hike or if we stop for ice cream on the way home.

Stick with it. You'll meet someone or you'll introduce geocaching to someone and they'll dig it.

Canobeans

p.s. If you introduce it to anyone, just be sure to stand back and let them find a couple on their own and pretend you didn't spot it. It's just a nice thing to do...

My girlfriend, Neener!, got me into geocaching last year. I went on a few hunts with her and now I'm hooked.

I upgraded my cell phone to one that has a stand-alone GPS so I don't have to have a separate device to carry - plus the phone is a lot more inconspicuous when muggles are around!

For the guy who's having issues with meeting geocaching chicks... fear not. They are out there. If you're into hiking or any recreation related to geocaching and there's nothing at the school you attend, try talking to the people at your local/nearby sporting goods store. They may have info on local clubs or groups you can check out. Good luck and don't let it get you down!

-G

Edited by MN-Paradox

Me and my wife are complete opposites.Me a country boy and her a city girl.I wont get into all the differences.We celabrated our 25th annaversery last year at the hospital while our granddaughter came into this world.Because of my wifes health she cant walk very far but she goes caching with me.She has to she is the driver.She waits in the truck while I do the hiking.

Me and my wife are complete opposites. Me a country boy and her a city girl. (copied your first line) also I have 15 brothers and sisters, yes 15, and she is an only child. We have been geocaching less than 2 months and we're both hooked.

My wife is more hooked than I am. Since getting her first FTF, she's been on full steam since. We cache together from time to time but since she's a teacher, she has more time than me. She has another teacher from another school as a partner (Thelma & Louise). They went to an event today!!!

Slug away!

My wife tolerates it and lets me go out for a few hours most weekends. She's not interested in going along though as the idea of snakes, spiders, thorns, and poison ivy kills it for her. My 3 year old boy comes along occasionally but he's mostly interested in the playground. That's me and my little family of muggles. :P

My wife does think I'm a bit crazy when I go out late at night on a totally moonless night and cache along the river or way up in the upper portion of Bidwell Park - hills, stickers, rocks, snakes, poison oak - but oooooohhhhhhhhhhh is it great to get that FTF. :P

If it's a nice mowed path she's ok, but she don't like bugs, snakes, or bushwhacking

As a girl who likes to cach, it's often hard to find a guy who doesn't think it's weird that I like to do it. The last guy I dated though, thought GPS devices were cool (regardless if it's in the car, or helping me on foot to find a cach) so we had that in common. So I suggest finding a GPS unit for the guy/girl that you like and going from there! Heck, you can even win a new Nuvi for their car right now. If you go to the Garmin blog page, there is a contest for the best adventure-- ie: how we use our eTrex's etc. to find caches, and then you can win a new nuvi 200 for your car! Just wanted to share what works for me! :blink:

At first, I think my wife thought I & the boys where nuts. All of us with our butts up in the air looking under a bush or two for tupperware. Then one day she told me that she and a girlfriend went on their daily walk around work and looked for a cache on the way. I think she now has the bug. Her friend thought it was fun and I bet she has gotten her family involved by now. When everyone is invoved, it can be real fun.

As a girl who likes to cach, it's often hard to find a guy who doesn't think it's weird that I like to do it. The last guy I dated though, thought GPS devices were cool (regardless if it's in the car, or helping me on foot to find a cach) so we had that in common. So I suggest finding a GPS unit for the guy/girl that you like and going from there! Heck, you can even win a new Nuvi for their car right now. If you go to the Garmin blog page, there is a contest for the best adventure-- ie: how we use our eTrex's etc. to find caches, and then you can win a new nuvi 200 for your car! Just wanted to share what works for me! :blink:

I was wondering when this thread was going to fall prey to the attack of the sock puppets.

well bout 25years ago we spent our honnymoon camping in a tent on the white river and went trout fishing. then during the years we backpacked over 100miles in the grand canyon and went down the river in a rubber raft. now as we get older, we've toned down our adventures, bought an r.v. and have taken up geocaching. she got me started doing this and we both enjoy it and the time spent together. so ifn ya see an r.v. driving in circles, stopping, doing a u-ie it just might be us.

i did get her interested in a gps after she spent 2hrs. at mesa verde coming back from the shower/bathroom a roaming around the campgrounds and finally a nice family from wisconsin gave her a ride to our r.v. we've got 4 gps' now and duracell must love us.