GPSMAP76

Hi

I'm using the Garmin GPSMAP76 for chart ploting while sailing. I have installed Blue Charts on the GPS. I have turned off everything that does not relate to a marine application. I've turned off the "Base Map" and it is still slow. My problem is when I move the cursor out of the current screen area it takes a long time for the unit to redraw.

I'm consider selling it and buying a GPSMAP76CX with more memory! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

the memory to which you refer isn't like the system memory (i.e. RAM) that is in a computer, it is mostly just storage. The bottleneck tend to be the processor. I had a GPSMAP76S for a couple of years before recently upgrading to the 76Cx. The enitre maps scrolls very quickly with only a minimum of redrawing (typically only noticed with a lot of infor such as high detail 24k topo maps. Just the speed increase along was worth the frustration to me, especially when navigating.

Hi

I'm using the Garmin GPSMAP76 for chart ploting while sailing. I have installed Blue Charts on the GPS. I have turned off everything that does not relate to a marine application. I've turned off the "Base Map" and it is still slow. My problem is when I move the cursor out of the current screen area it takes a long time for the unit to redraw.

I'm consider selling it and buying a GPSMAP76CX with more memory! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Thanks for the info. I see that West Marine has the 76CX on sale for $299. I don't think I will beat that price on the internet. Also, I only used this GPS when I'm sailing any need to get the 76CSX? Thanks againg for your help. George

the memory to which you refer isn't like the system memory (i.e. RAM) that is in a computer, it is mostly just storage. The bottleneck tend to be the processor. I had a GPSMAP76S for a couple of years before recently upgrading to the 76Cx. The enitre maps scrolls very quickly with only a minimum of redrawing (typically only noticed with a lot of infor such as high detail 24k topo maps. Just the speed increase along was worth the frustration to me, especially when navigating.

Hi

Thanks,

George

Hi

Thanks,

George

I have noticed the same on my unit. The total amount of maps on the memory card (even if they are turned off) seem to slow my unit down. Turning the detail from Most to Normal makes a difference (I leave mine set to Most to all land navigation but Normal for marine - I find I don't need the detail until I am zoomed in), but to really speed things up, turn the spot sounding off - a world of difference. Unfortunately, you wont have depth info, which is crucial where I boat so I dont exercise that option unless I am programing the GPSr but leave it on when boating. This is why I need to set the detail to normal b/c the sounding that appear as dots until you zoom in will disappear until you are at a more manageble map zoom.

Edited by MajBach

Hi

Thanks,

George

I have noticed the same on my unit. The total amount of maps on the memory card (even if they are turned off) seem to slow my unit down. Turning the detail from Most to Normal makes a difference (I leave mine set to Most to all land navigation but Normal for marine - I find I don't need the detail until I am zoomed in), but to really speed things up, turn the spot sounding off - a world of difference. Unfortunately, you wont have depth info, which is crucial where I boat so I dont exercise that option unless I am programing the GPSr but leave it on when boating. This is why I need to set the detail to normal b/c the sounding that appear as dots until you zoom in will disappear until you are at a more manageble map zoom.

Thanks for your resopnse. I bought the Garimin gpsmap 76CSX last night for $330 with no shipping charge or tax. I beleive that was the best deal I could find. I got sick of changing the detail up or down when I'm sailing by myself. I would forget to do it just when I need it the most. Also if you moved the cursor off the page it would go to sleep with a blank screen for a long time. I will try to sell the gpsmap 76 next week. My only problem is trying to explain to my wife why I need a "New Toy" To all, Thanks again for your info, I will let you know how the 76CSX works out. George

Thanks for your resopnse. I bought the Garimin gpsmap 76CSX last night for $330 with no shipping charge or tax. I beleive that was the best deal I could find. I got sick of changing the detail up or down when I'm sailing by myself. I would forget to do it just when I need it the most. Also if you moved the cursor off the page it would go to sleep with a blank screen for a long time. I will try to sell the gpsmap 76 next week. My only problem is trying to explain to my wife why I need a "New Toy" To all, Thanks again for your info, I will let you know how the 76CSX works out. George

George, I may have given you some bad advice. When I read 76C 76 Cx 76 CSx etc. I lump them all into the same unit as mine, as 76 Cx. I assumed you had the same unit as I but it looks like you had the older one? Without the x functionality?

I am pretty sure that the pre 'x' series were different internally from the ones that do have the x capability. This might explain the slow redraw. Remember, mine DOES have the x and I do see some slow redraws but neve blank screens during panning. At full detail an low zoom (wide angle) on a complex map, the max redraw for me is maybe 6 seconds and is easily recitified with declutter or detail level.

Did you say you already ordered the new one? Congrats. If not, reconsider the S functionality. Great for hikers and perhaps geocachers but a bit of a battery hog and I have read other disadvantages with it. I myself have no need for the sensors, I rely on more elaborate instruments if I need that info (boat compass or aircraft altimeter)

Happy sailing.