WAAS compatible vs. WAAS enabled

JoshuaKS

Hey Everybody,

Can anybody tell me the difference between a GPS that's WAAS compatible (like the etrex Vista Cx) and one that's WAAS enabled (like the etrex Legend HCx)? I'm looking to upgrade, and really want to get the most bang for my buck.

I shall most greatly appreciate any info y'all might have.

Thanks alot

Hey Everybody,

Can anybody tell me the difference between a GPS that's WAAS compatible (like the etrex Vista Cx) and one that's WAAS enabled (like the etrex Legend HCx)? I'm looking to upgrade, and really want to get the most bang for my buck.

I shall most greatly appreciate any info y'all might have.

Thanks alot

No difference.

How do you know if it is working with WAAS? Is there a way to tell if it is picking up the WAAS signal?

Yes, but it may vary by GPS brand and/or model. Most Garmins will show the letter D on the strength bar for a satellite to indicate it has received differential data for that bird.

Thanks! I will watch for that. I searched the manual and all I found was if you turn on WAAS your battery life is shorter.

On the sat position screen of my Magellan Platinum the numbers of the sats available at the time and their relative position in the sky is displayed. Most of the time there are also 2 "W" s displayed if you are getting signal from one or both of the WAAS sats, the active sat will be highlighted as well as the other sats you are using for positional accuracy. I don't think your GPSr consumes any more power to receive 10 sats than 4.

Limit the use of the backlight and carry a new set of batteries to assure finding the right spot if not the cache.