Follow-up on a good lightweight Geocaching bag

Hobo2

The thread for which this topic started is: New item for a well stocked Geocaching backpack, or http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=163178. Forgive me, I don’t know the correct way to post this thread… hope I did it correctly.

I know some of you are thinking more should be added, which you can do with your bag, obviously. But (with help from others), I think we have come up with a good "basic essentials bag" that is lightweight and easy to grab. I wanted my Geocaching bag to include some things that would be essential and helpful for the day cacher like me, and to also include some basic safety items, just in case. My intention here is to have a well stocked bag that I can grab on the fly, without much time or thought trying to remember what I will need before I go.

Basic supplies for bag are as fallows:

GPS unit

Camera

Small 10x25 binoculars

Small first-aid kit

Small flint & steel

Extra fine steel wool-(good for starting fires)

Pocket knife/Multi tool

Small flashlight-(that uses AA)

Extra batteries-(AA for flashlight, GPS, camera)

Bear spray-(when needed)

Whistle

Small “tin” cup-(for drinking & or cooking if needed)

Insect repellent (wipes)

Benedryl & or aspirin/Tylenol

Iodine pills-(for water purification)

Tweezers

Small notepad, extra pens & pencils

Trading items

Replacement zip-lock baggies-(for the caches that need help)

I guess I should take a moment and talk about bag types. Please feel free to add any ideas you may have, but remember to think small and lightweight.

I have backpacks, and while they serve a function in there own right, they are usually much to big and cumbersome for what I am striving for here. I know there are some smaller kid-type backpacks, which I have heard some of you use, but I personally don’t like them. I find a backpack to be hard to get on and off, and they tend to become like a junk drawer, piled at the bottom with stuff that just ends up becoming extra weight.

I like fanny packs, but they tend to wear a sore on the side of my hip if I where them for more than two or three hours. Besides, most don’t have any separate compartments to keep things orderly. Not to mention, I think they just look funny.

I also like a bag with a strap, this is what I have and use now. They work well but have there own limitations as well, like; wearing sores on your neck, or becoming lost because your not use to having one with you so you forget to pick it up, which happened to me. And they can become a junk drawer like a backpack can.

So I think the winning idea here is a vest. I like the vest idea that ROOKIE49 had. I have a well stocked fishing vest now, I cant believe I didn’t think of using one for this sport as well. ROOKIE49 is right, they are not restricting and easy to put on, lightweight, and have lots of pockets. The best part is, it is hooked to me so I wont forget it somewhere!

Moreover on ease of carrying things, my camera, GPS unit, and binoculars, all have cases that have belt straps, this makes it nice for carrying each item separately on my belt.

So there we go, everything we need to have a fun day out Geocaching! Again, if there is anything anyone would like to add, please do!

Have a great summer caching!

Edited by Hobo2

I don't include all the items in your list, but I use a heavily-laden, Mountainsmith lumbar pack that is very comfortable and which has three separate compartments, as well as two water bottle holders. thumbsup.gif

I much prefer the lumbar pack to my daypack, a very comfortable Gregory pack I only use when I am carrying ammo cans and other containers when I am on a cache-hiding spree . . . :o

I just got a shoulder/thigh bag (man purse) from a paintball/military dealer on ebay.

shoulderpouch_dc_1_mark.jpg

Give me a couple of weeks with it and I'll let you know.

Hey,I was looking at those!Do report on it!I'm a shoulder bag guy myself,using them for my blackpowder supplies,to fishing and other things.I think they're more accesible than a small back pack,as I don't usually carry alot.They can't replace a pack when you need one though,but they compliment one good for me anyways.

I've got the Maxpedition version of that Bag that I use for light hiking to caches. It has many compartments and a place for a 1 liter water bottle. Being a shoulder pack, it does slide around a bit and I sometimes swing it around to the back. All in all it's a great addition to my gear. 0412k_1984_general.jpg

Edited by rdaines

I've got the Maxpedition version of that Bag that I use for light hiking to caches. It has many compartments and a place for a 1 liter water bottle. Being a shoulder pack, it does slide around a bit and I sometimes swing it around to the back. All in all it's a great addition to my gear. 0412k_1984_general.jpg

:o Just watched the video on this bag very very temping! :P

AHHHH!!!Yes..that's the one.That will hold my SIG nicely!

I like this one... cool :lol:

I like this one... cool :lol:

Hey, do we take our dogs? Where are all the dogie back-packs, then we can wonder freely with our GPS's... sure like the Sam Colt addition.

Edited by Hobo2

I just got a shoulder/thigh bag (man purse) from a paintball/military dealer on ebay.

Hey,I was looking at those!Do report on it!I'm a shoulder bag guy myself,using them for my blackpowder supplies,to fishing and other things.I think they're more accesible than a small back pack,as I don't usually carry alot.They can't replace a pack when you need one though,but they compliment one good for me anyways.

So far it has worked great. I added a small multi compartment box to keep the swag sorted in the main pouch. little zipper pockets hold spare batteries and some mini replacement zip locks.

Outer pocket holds Palm & paper log book.

The two outboard pockets are of limited use. The larger one looks big enough for a pair of glasses in a case, and the other one is not big enough for my cel phone. More like a pocket for a can of pepper spray or maybe DEET.

It would be perfect if the top zipper opened up to an area big enough for my pistol, but it is just a small pocket.

Edited by Airhead-kb

So far it has worked great. I added a small multi compartment box to keep the swag sorted in the main pouch. little zipper pockets hold spare batteries and some mini replacement zip locks.

Outer pocket holds Palm & paper log book.

The two outboard pockets are of limited use. The larger one looks big enough for a pair of glasses in a case, and the other one is not big enough for my cel phone. More like a pocket for a can of pepper spray or maybe DEET.

It would be perfect if the top zipper opened up to an area big enough for my pistol, but it is just a small pocket.

Has anyone used a fishing vest yet? I still think this is the winning combination of light weight, durability, and freedom. Moreover, you can get one at Wally World for about $15.

For anything other than a park and grab, where I do any amount of hiking, I've gone to a Fieldline Ultimate waist pack. It's kind of a cross between a fanny pack and a day pack It has a wide belt and detachable shoulder straps. The belt and pack are both lined with mesh and it's very comfortable. I don't know how to post a pic, but it has 10 different compartments, 2 zippered mesh pockets, two mesh water bottle pockets (with bottles) and will hold 1420 cu. in. It's 13" high, 14" wide and 7" deep. Here the website:

http://www.fieldline.com/proddetail.aspx?sku=QC17UBL

I use the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack on a year-round basis for day-caching. It's hard to imagine a better all-around gear bag. And I'm the type who tends to go out prepared for anything up to an unexpected overnight.

A vest also works great. The one limitation that I have with a vest is that it is just too uncomfortable when the temp and humidity both get above 90, which can happen fairly frequently here in southern New England from mid-May to mid-September. During that period I use a Camelback with a 100 oz. bladder and the setup that provides an air channel between the pack and the back.

For quick hikes within 30 minutes of the car, I use a small daypack I got a couple of years ago for cruising thru the airport. Its small, so it almost looks like a purse. It will easily hold the camera, first aid kit, log book, knife, compass, and a few chatski items. Its an Eagle Creek pack. They make packs targeted at the travel set, so the packs have lots of nooks and crannies to tuck things away in.

For longer hikes, or when I am hiking with my son and his friends, I have been using a lightweight daypack that I found on Sierra Trading Post. Its a large daypack, so it easily holds all the gear above plus jackets, food, water, etc.

The small pack

The Day Pack

I like the vest idea, too. Never gave it much thought.

Yep, I went to a vest long ago. Works for me.

The vest works great...it holds so much stuff & the weight is distributed evenly (approx 2 lbs). I load mine with food & water, lighter, first aid supplies, hand sanitizer, lotion, sunscreen, bug spray, CITO bags, mirror, small roll of t.p., Swiss army knife, batteries, pens & paper, swag, lip balm, sun screen, bug spray, ID, keys, cell phone, and I still have a couple of empty pockets! There is also a pouch on the back which will hold a jacket. I like that everything is within reach & I don't have to "dig around" to locate an item. It's not too uncomfortable for desert hiking, plus...it's washable!!!

I usually carry the baby in her sling when I'm out so I'm kinda limited in what type of bag I can use.

I use my 14 year old Mountain Equipment Cooperative backpack. It has been through hell and back with me and its still ticking. I attach my gps to a carbiner off the back loop and that gets slung over my shoulder and is at the right height for me to just glance down to look at it. I don't like anything around my neck.

I also found an "off the ear" flashlight in a cereal box that I've been using for night caching. It lets me read my gps without using the backlight and doesn't affect my night vision. The problem is keeping it away from my son cause he thinks its his toy.

I just picked up some gardening gloves to help deal with prickles. And I use a wooden dowel for a walking stick which has saved my life once. I was starting to slip and the extra drag it created helped a lot.

I plan on adding more to my pack when I can. I cache with kids and they love trades so I have to keep trades for them in my bag. If I didn't, I'd have a smaller bag. I have to keep it light enough for DS to carry because he likes to carry it for me. Then the gps gets attached to my sling.

We mostly day cache and rarely go that far into the woods. That may change though. I am enjoying the walks.