Micro SD card question

Okay,

I've got a 60CSx with a 64 MB micro SD. I've got US Topo on my computer and have been transferring maps, etc with no problems. I just bought City Navigator NT V8 on a micro SD card. The card is 2 gigs and is only about 1/2 full. I was hoping I could end up putting my topo maps on my new 2 gig card along with my City Navigator and just overlap the maps(which one would do if they bought the software on DVD). However, the new 2 gig card says NOT to try to download maps to the card or all my City Navigator will be lost. I realize that every time you transfer maps, it's just erases the card and starts fresh, but is there anyway around this?? I really hate to switch out cards just to go from City Navigator to Topo.

Could I not somehow transfer the information to my computer and then send it all back to the card(along with my Topo maps)??? Also, what about backing the card up?? I'd hate to lose the maps while I'm goofing around with it. I could have saved a lot of effort by just getting the DVD instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

jjasper13

Could I not somehow transfer the information to my computer and then send it all back to the card(along with my Topo maps)??? Also, what about backing the card up?? I'd hate to lose the maps while I'm goofing around with it. I could have saved a lot of effort by just getting the DVD instead.

This is why I encourage people to stay away from preloaded cards unless there is a compelling reason to otherwise. Like someone has your family hostage or has one or more of your body parts in a vise.

I don't mind having 2 cards. It's not that big of a deal to do a quick switch. I actually don't plan on using Topo that much outside of my home state. The 64 MB card can hold my state easily with extra room to spare. But a 2 gig card is cheap. I may just get one and put all my topo on it. Then I'd never have to worry about transferring maps at all.

jjasper13

I don't mind having 2 cards. It's not that big of a deal to do a quick switch. I actually don't plan on using Topo that much outside of my home state. The 64 MB card can hold my state easily with extra room to spare. But a 2 gig card is cheap. I may just get one and put all my topo on it. Then I'd never have to worry about transferring maps at all.

jjasper13

Before you jump out and buy the 2 GB card just be aware that you still won't be able to load of all the Mapsource U.S. Topo maps onto a 2 Gb card. At present, the Garmin handhelds are limited to 2,025 maps (map segements) that can be downloaded to them; this is regardless of what size memory card you have. For instance, a 512 Mb memory card will reach the 2,025 limit of map segments before you run out of Mb space on the card if you are just downloading topo maps to it.