Hiding my first cache

I just placed a micro cache out in the wild :D I am planning on leaving it there a week before I publish the coords for it, just to be sure that it won't be muggled quickly.

The question I had for the crew here: if I used some steganography to hide the coords would it be too hard for folks to find them. Or understand what I had done?

I just placed a micro cache out in the wild B) I am planning on leaving it there a week before I publish the coords for it, just to be sure that it won't be muggled quickly.

The question I had for the crew here: if I used some steganography to hide the coords would it be too hard for folks to find them. Or understand what I had done?

I placed one over a year ago and forgot to list it :D guess I better get out there and check on it B)

Stegonography puzzles have been done. They can be easy or hard, depending on clues provided.

If it needs special software and a password, be sure to have that information available somewhere in the puzzle, not necessarily in any obvious place or form, but somehow that it is POSSIBLE to figure it out. The software should be readily available, preferably without cost. Recent changes in puzzle rules might get it rejected. CONVERSE with your reviewer.

If you like a lot of finds, make it easy. If you are looking for a reputation as a maker of tough puzzles, make it hard. Either way don't be surprised when one person says it was easy and another says it is impossible.

Good luck with it.

I am not good at puzzle caches. I almost always have to rely on the clues to get me through the puzzle. In my location, an infamous puzzle cache creator finally had to go back and add a key to his puzzles to get others to go to them. For us less enlightened, it isn’t easy. I had to look of Stegonography and I am not sure I understand what it is.

If you don’t mind the possibility of a low number of visits… go for it! :blink:

Just for myself if you create a puzzle cache that is hard the location of the micro better be pretty spectacular or I will be really put off. If I go to a lot of work I don't want to see a K-Mart parking lot. But a puzzle cache is always fun to work on during the cold winter months.

Just for myself if you create a puzzle cache that is hard the location of the micro better be pretty spectacular or I will be really put off. If I go to a lot of work I don't want to see a K-Mart parking lot. But a puzzle cache is always fun to work on during the cold winter months.

As for me, I consider solving the puzzle to be the "reward" of the cache. I don't really care what the log sheet is contained in or where it is. It only serves to verify that i solved the puzzle correctly.

One can also solve puzzles that are many miles away and email the owner to ask if the solution is correct. No online smiley, but you do get the satisfaction of solving it. Puzzles are the only means of "long distance" caching that many people are able to do.

I think it would be cool, in the case of a long distance cache, if the owner would send pix of the cache location (assuming it is NOT a WM parking lot) to those who email and solve the puzzle but will likely never be able to go to the coordinates.

Perhaps there is no better use of a WM lamppost skirt than to hide the final of a puzzle. :)

As for me, I consider solving the puzzle to be the "reward" of the cache. I don't really care what the log sheet is contained in or where it is. It only serves to verify that i solved the puzzle correctly.

One can also solve puzzles that are many miles away and email the owner to ask if the solution is correct. No online smiley, but you do get the satisfaction of solving it. Puzzles are the only means of "long distance" caching that many people are able to do.

I think it would be cool, in the case of a long distance cache, if the owner would send pix of the cache location (assuming it is NOT a WM parking lot) to those who email and solve the puzzle but will likely never be able to go to the coordinates.

Perhaps there is no better use of a WM lamppost skirt than to hide the final of a puzzle. :P

Once (when I was working towards my 100th cache) I completed a cache with my wife that, for all intensive reasons, was in a dump in the Bronx, between a residential apartment building and a single car garage. Through the roadside garbage, you scaled a small dirty hill between the two buildings. The container was a used Chinese food container (popular in NYC for some reason). I am not picky, but... sometimes, location counts.

There are always extremes.

I would not bother even looking if I encountered such a cache site.

But a simple LPC at the end of a puzzle wouldn't bother me any, providing that it was placed where everybody i the world wouldn't be curious why i lifted the skirt.

I have a puzzle where, once you solve it, you have complete details as to where to look and what to look for. You won't need the coords except to find the right park. In my case, the puzzle's the thing.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments on this thread. I have had some of the same thoughts, like what software to use (free obviously, and most like a Java application to run on all the OS')? Should I use a password for the file I hide? etc.

I have time to think on it, as I want to be sure my cache won't get muggled before I post the cache here.

Thanks again.