Ticks and rain

Here in Central Oklahoma, as in many other parts of the country I'm sure, we're now well into tick season. We've also recently been having quite a bit of rain. Does anyone know what ticks do when it rains? (I know I'm setting myself up with this one! :D ). Am I likely to encounter less ticks in the woods or fields if I go caching immediately after it's rained?

Edited by JamGuys

I think they're easier to spot after a rain... just look for the tiny umbrellas. Most are fairly colorful. But you have to go out IMMEDIATELY after the rain stops since they start to put them away fairly quickly.

I knew that was coming! :oB):D

My quasi-scientific reasoning is that, if there are lots of water droplets on the grasses, leaves, and twigs, there would be less surface area available for ticks to hang onto resulting in reduced numbers of them latching onto you as you pass by. Does that make sense at all to anyone? B)

Other than the umbrella thing B)

I think it would really depend on how long the rain lasts. Ticks usually perch on the grasses and leave and the latch onto clothing, skin or fur as you or a pet brush up against it. They do have a pretty strong grip, so I would think they'd likely just stay where they were when the rains came.

If the rains and/or wind were hard enough to force them down, I'd imagine they'd climb back up pretty quickly once it subsided. So I doubt if the rains would have too much of an effect... at least not for very long.

But... That's a completely uneducated guess on my part... so I'm sticking with the umbrella thing. :D

did a google search and found this (though the article was talking about protecting pets - I still think this line may still answer your question slightly):

"Ticks are attracted to moisture, so cats should not be allowed outside following a rain or early mornings and late afternoon when the grass is wet."

did a google search and found this (though the article was talking about protecting pets - I still think this line may still answer your question slightly):

"Ticks are attracted to moisture, so cats should not be allowed outside following a rain or early mornings and late afternoon when the grass is wet."

It's ok for people to go out... as long as they shave their legs. The ticks won't confuse them for cats that way.

michelle