Garmin Topo 2008

I'm using the Garmin US Topo V3. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to US Topo 2008, given that the new set is 1:100K? Thanks

I am not sure if these are compelling reasons but:

1. Updated street data.

2. Digital elevation modelling--give you the ability to look at vertical profiles of your routes.

3. Named roads and streets--they are not just named "road".

4. Searchable POIs.

5. Terrain shading.

Now you have to decide if the above reasons are compelling enough to buy it. :rolleyes:

I'm using the Garmin US Topo V3. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to US Topo 2008, given that the new set is 1:100K? Thanks

1. Updated street data.

2. Digital elevation modelling--give you the ability to look at vertical profiles of your routes.

4. Searchable POIs.

5. Terrain shading.

Now you have to decide if the above reasons are compelling enough to buy it. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I find the elevation modelling pretty compelling. Is terrain shading only in the PC display? Doesn't V3 already have that?

1. Updated street data.

4. Searchable POIs.

5. Terrain shading.

Thanks!

I find the elevation modelling pretty compelling. Is terrain shading only in the PC display? Doesn't V3 already have that?

1. Updated street data.

4. Searchable POIs.

5. Terrain shading.

Thanks!

As Far as I can tell, terrain shading is only on the PC, but the current Topo does not have it. National parks and forests are green, but there is no contour shading.

I spoke to Garmin yesterday and they advised that the release date for Topo 2008 has been pushed back to early July.

One big plus for me is the named streets and roads. I have been looking for a older version on Metroguide, for my Legend, that has my neighborhood in it. I did not want to spend a lot since I already have a 76CSx and a Legend Cx with mapping software and I just wanted something for the Legend when I go biking. With this new version of Topo I get the street information I need for the Legend, plus I can upgrade on all my other GPSs.

I spoke to Garmin yesterday and they advised that the release date for Topo 2008 has been pushed back to early July.

TigerGPS billed my Visa account yesterday, so I was hoping they had shipped B)

However, they haven't sent me a confirming email on shipment, and the original order confirmation didn't say they wouldn't go on and bill me even though it was backordered :D

Looks like I might be out the money a month + before I get the product B)

I preordered mine from TigerGPS also and they have already billed my credit card; contrary to their advertised policy of not billing until the item has shipped. I e-mailed them about that very issue but have not heard anything back yet.

I preordered mine from TigerGPS also and they have already billed my credit card; contrary to their advertised policy of not billing until the item has shipped. I e-mailed them about that very issue but have not heard anything back yet.

I also pre-orderd mine from TigerGPS. I contacted them as my PayPal was billed, and they replied saying they apologized for this, and to expect delivery of Topo 2008 around June 20th. I'll be patient.

As Far as I can tell, terrain shading is only on the PC, but the current Topo does not have it. National parks and forests are green, but there is no contour shading.

Aaaah, now I get it. I'm getting shading in my National Parks West 1:24K topos. You're right, V3 doesn't have it.

Updated street data? Not so much.

Look at 45.49506,-122.55949. According to Portland's website, Ed Benedict Park has been there since at least 1986. Garmin's Topo 2008 online map preview doesn't show it. Has SE 100th and 101st Avenue running through where the park is.

FWIW, National Geographic Topo software looks just like Garmin's on this spot. Drawn from the same (outdated) info, perhaps?

Edited by lee_rimar

To all of the above posters that are interested in the new elevation data in Topo 2008......DON'T BOTHER

Compare old ver vs new ver (on Garmins viewer) and look at the elevations of various specific points . New ver is almost always incorrect and that makes any "new" profile feature totally worthless.

Elevation differences are not consistent and range from 0 to several HUNDRED feet .

This "lousy data" may be the reason for the reported "push back" of the release date.

Are the contour lines any closer on the newer version? What will garmin do for the people (like me ) that just purchased the older version as far as upgrading???

I'm thinking nothing. Thats why im waiting for 2008 to come out before buying. (right now i have no maps cept the base map which is 100% worthless).

I'm also planning on waiting for the next release of the road map. City Navigator version 9. I hear they mostly release the new one in late summer?

The update disk are nearly as much money as the original map purchase...

So even if they do offer an upgrade to the topo maps u have now, its not much of a break money wise...

Least this seems true on the road map update prices i seen on there site...

--danny

Are the contour lines any closer on the newer version? What will garmin do for the people (like me ) that just purchased the older version as far as upgrading???

Yes, contour intervals are 25 feet with Topo 2008, vs. 20 meters (65.6 feet) with US Topo, at least for every area I've checked around me in upstate NY. As far as Garmin working with you on an upgrade, it can't hurt to ask them. Maybe if you produced your receipt showing the date of purchase? Worth a call to them.

From the map preview, I'm reasonably sure the street data is based on the Tiger set and not Navteq. When I saw that, I lost interest pretty quickly.

The street data is definitely an upgrade to the current US topo, but I would expect it to be as good in not better than city navigator V8(it's a year newer, so it should be using newer data).

All the errors that I have found in city navigator are still in topo 2008, yet google maps 2007 navteq data has them all fixed. either they are using old data or not Navteq data.

Maybe they couldn't use Navteq data and keep the maps fully unlocked? (assuming they are fully unlocked still).

From the map preview, I'm reasonably sure the street data is based on the Tiger set and not Navteq. When I saw that, I lost interest pretty quickly.

The street data is definitely an upgrade to the current US topo, but I would expect it to be as good in not better than city navigator V8(it's a year newer, so it should be using newer data).

All the errors that I have found in city navigator are still in topo 2008, yet google maps 2007 navteq data has them all fixed. either they are using old data or not Navteq data.

Maybe they couldn't use Navteq data and keep the maps fully unlocked? (assuming they are fully unlocked still).

I would think Navteq data are more expensive for them than other sources, and the cost would have been passed on to us. Also, while the Navteq data is very good in urban areas, it does not have any of the mountain roads in New Mexico where I go, whereas the old Topo and this new Topo does. This new topo also has some newer areas--it has a neighborhood I used to live in that only made it into City Select with V6.

Before you plop down some money (or unceremoniously refrain from doing so) make sure you are looking at the correct software. "US Topo" has always been 1:100K and "US Topo 2008" is the latest version since Ver3

There is another Garmin Topo map called "US Topo 24K National Parks." The latest version is Ver 3 (updated last year) with no current update.

I bring this up because your question implies that the 1:100K in US Topo 2008 is a change from what you are using now. If it is a change then you must be using US Topo 24K National Parks, and if this is true then US Topo 2008 is not an upgrade since its a competely different product.

Before you plop down some money (or unceremoniously refrain from doing so) make sure you are looking at the correct software. "US Topo" has always been 1:100K and "US Topo 2008" is the latest version since Ver3

There is another Garmin Topo map called "US Topo 24K National Parks." The latest version is Ver 3 (updated last year) with no current update.

I bring this up because your question implies that the 1:100K in US Topo 2008 is a change from what you are using now. If it is a change then you must be using US Topo 24K National Parks, and if this is true then US Topo 2008 is not an upgrade since its a competely different product.

Well, that was precisely the point of my original question. Since Topo 2008 has the same resolution as V3 (which is what I have), why would I upgrade? Given the addition of shading (which I have on National Park Topo 1:24K and like), vertical modeling of routes, and street names, I'll probably get it at some point.

I hope that using Tiger data means that the maps are not locked. I'm sure that if Navteq data were used, installation would be limited to two (one?) unit. I don't think I would buy Topo 2008 as a substitute for City Nav, but I might think about getting it if tile sizes stay small. For those of us using non-x units, the addition of some street data, even if second-best, might make it a good addition instead of having to drop huge chuncks of CN data for more remote areas.