Caching in ADK High Peaks

smrich

:rolleyes: If anyone is planning a vacation and/or caching in the Adirondacks, check before leaving to see if the caches you are planning to seek are still active. It seems that the NYS DEC has decided that caches placed within certain areas of the Adirondack High Peaks are now verboten. I'm not sure of the total number of caches this effects, but one of the caches I just visited within the last month and some that I had planned on finding have been archived. (I've tried searching the DEC site for any explanations but the only reference to geocaching I could find was a link to an article on geocaching from the February 2005 issue of the Conservationist) To see the note that New York Admin is placing on the archived caches, visit GC6ED4 Cascade Lakes Cache. There is also a link there to the DEC site map showing the effected areas. I can understand the DEC's concern about the impact on the environment, however responsible caching combining the practices of CITO and Leave No Trace should result in a cache location better than found. Hopefully this is not a new policy direction of the DEC to limit geocaching through out the rest of the state on the lands it controls.

Thanks for the link Rick!

The one I'll miss the most is "Ward's Rusty Box"...I was one of 17 finders since it was placed in 2001, and it was a marathon caching day (Memorial Day 2004) for me, especially given that I only found 2 caches... :P

Today's Cacher Article

My log of the other cache I visited that day...

It's a shame to see this area added to the list of places that don't understand geocaching...

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

We shouldn't be surprised by this. All the ADK46-R summit registers had to be removed years ago. They were essentially caches at the top of the trail-less peaks. I have wondered why one group was targeted and not the other.

Oddly enough the ban on geocaching in the Adirondacks was lifted well after the summit registers were removed. I was quite surprised that they allowed them in the forest preserve in the first place.

Are the Catskills next?

We shouldn't be surprised by this. All the ADK46-R summit registers had to be removed years ago. They were essentially caches at the top of the trail-less peaks. I have wondered why one group was targeted and not the other.

Oddly enough the ban on geocaching in the Adirondacks was lifted well after the summit registers were removed. I was quite surprised that they allowed them in the forest preserve in the first place.

exactly... and since I feel a kinship of about equal strength to each organization, in a way I am glad we are being treated equally. Sure, I would like to see both caches and summit registers return, but I understand their fears of uncontrolled "nonconformity" to their mission.

I gather that DEC wants to reduce the pressure on the High Peaks Region by discouraging use of all types, and encouraging use in less visited areas.

Isn't it ironic that nature loving 46rs could be considered part of the problem by virtue of their participating in a "numbers run". :lol: Aren't there some serial 46rs who have done it repeatedly, by season, nighttime, barefoot, etc?

I gather that DEC wants to reduce the pressure on the High Peaks Region by discouraging use of all types, and encouraging use in less visited areas.

Isn't it ironic that nature loving 46rs could be considered part of the problem by virtue of their participating in a "numbers run". :) Aren't there some serial 46rs who have done it repeatedly, by season, nighttime, barefoot, etc?

Yes, there are some serious "serial 46rs"!!! And it really is all about the numbers for them, isn't it? :lol: This is all just so freaking absurd. How many people climb Mount Jo on a summers day? Dozens? A hundred? It's like the ultimate beginners climb. Yet less than 50 geocachers have found (or reported looking for) Heart of Jo in almost 4 years.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel