Okay to put Purell Hand Sanitizer in cache?

I'm not so much worried about critters as the effect of winter temperatures. I had a new sealed one in my car and it burst - not sure if it was from extreme cold or from the constant high and low heating cycle.

I just don't know.

Having said that - I have seen it in a few caches and even traded for it myself.

Even if animals weren't a problem (and I think the scent in the sanitizer might attract some), I'd stay away from any liquid-filled items. Temperature extremes (both cold and hot) can compromise the integrity of an otherwise unopened plastic container, causing the contents to leak. I've had to clean out several caches, plus one of my own, when I encountered cracked or leaking (formerly) liquid-filled items.

I am thinking about getting some Purell Hand Sanitizer 1/2 oz bottles to put in caches as swag. What do you guys and gals think would a new sealed bottle draw critters of any kind?

Not too sure what Purell Hand Sanitizer looks like - I'm assuming it's in a plastic bottle. Should be safe from critters if you're putting them in containers like ammo cans although you might want to take into consideration the potential effects of the Texas heat. I once tried to open up an ammo can but, for the life of me, could not get the thing open. When I finally did (scraping my knuckles in the process), I found that the lid had been practically glued shut by some kind of congealed waxy substance that had also permeated everything inside the cache, including the logbook. In my ignorance at the time, I thought that the seal in the ammo can lid had somehow melted. :rolleyes: Turns out that there had been a bar of soap in the container that had melted instead and had pretty much gummed up everything! :D

often hand sanitizer is welcome. there is the potential problem of leakage, though. i will suggest that you use original packaging; it comes in cute little sizes. also consider putting it into a ziploc just in case there's some leakage.

Thanks for all the good input, I will forgo leaving it, I had not thought of the heat factor. I just thought they would be good items that people would want especially with all the posion ivy around this year. I will continue to look for something better to leave other than my sig Tuit and mardi gras beads and not liquid.

Thanks for all the good input, I will forgo leaving it, I had not thought of the heat factor. I just thought they would be good items that people would want especially with all the posion ivy around this year. I will continue to look for something better to leave other than my sig Tuit and mardi gras beads and not liquid.

Purell won't come close to washing off PI.

Tec-Nu comes in individual wipe packets. That would be more appropriate.

Purell won't come close to washing off PI.

Tec-Nu comes in individual wipe packets. That would be more appropriate.

Now if the geocache is an urban, located next to some dumpster in the back of a Walmart or some such, the hand sanitizer would be a most welcome addition to the swag!

Of course, it is about 124 proof ethyl alcohol, along with some rubbing alcohol and other stuff that probably isn't too good to ingest...

Personally I think Purell is a great, useful item to leave. In a previous job at the company that makes it, I was able to get the small bottles for 20 cents each in the company store and bought a bunch to leave in caches.

Unless you live in Arizona, most caches are concealed in shady nooks and aren't going to get all that hot. We're not talking the interior of a car here. And being mostly alcohol it isn't going to freeze either.

Other liquids are a bit different as they will freeze and expand inside the bottle and can cause problems. That really isn't an issue with hand sanitizer.

I also use small individually wrapped packets of hand sanitizer or Wet Ones wipes.

Another favorite of mine are the individual packets of Off! insect repellent. The drug store by me was selling a box of 12 for $2.99 (on sale) so I purchased a half dozen boxes and I put one or two packets in caches.

I'm gonna side with the "not a good idea" crowd on this one. Purell is great stuff, and quite handy to have on hand, (pun intended), after a long day of caching, but at it's essence, it's a liquid in a plastic bottle. Here in Florida, temperature fluctuations are not nearly as great as other states, yet I've managed to find many caches with soggy ingredients due to a seeping bottle of liquid.