Software. topos and the 60CSx

Hi,

I've been perusing the forums for the last week or so since my hubby got me my 60CSX. We plan to use the unit for hiking and for geocaching. My understaning is that I need either CityNavigator or Metroguide for streets etc., Garmin MapSource for large scale 1:100000 topo maps that will load onto my GPSr, and National Geographic Topo for the states that I'm interested in for 1:24000 topo maps that I can put routes on from my GPSr to the computer and then print out, but I can't load these maps into my GPSr.

Does anybody have any other efficient ways to get the more detailed maps in the 60csx? That is about $300- $400 in software. I need the higher detail for hiking, I need the less detailed so I have some contours on my handheld, and I need roads etc for general navigation (we have a Nuvi in the car, so I don't need the 60CSx for turn-by-turn routing).

Do I seem to be on the right path ( ;) ) software speaking or have I missed a crucial bit of info somewhere?

Thanks

C.

Garmin's soon to be released US Topo (version 2008) still has 1:100,000 scale topo maps, but the street data is updated and vastly improved (probably based on Navtech maps rather than the old USGS quads). All streets are now labeled, but there is no business POI database, and no autorouting. This probably does not matter if you already have a Nuvi. It won't solve your need for detailed topo maps, but at least you won't have to buy CityNav or MetroGuide.

Currently, the only comercially-available detailed Topo maps that can be uploaded to the GPS are the 1:24K scale National Parks Maps from Mapsource (limited coverage and pricey). I've creaded my own uploadable topo maps for small areas, but it is a complex procedure that would be a major pain to do on a large scale.

GW

Edited by Glenn W

Hi,

I've been perusing the forums for the last week or so since my hubby got me my 60CSX. We plan to use the unit for hiking and for geocaching. My understaning is that I need either CityNavigator or Metroguide for streets etc., Garmin MapSource for large scale 1:100000 topo maps that will load onto my GPSr, and National Geographic Topo for the states that I'm interested in for 1:24000 topo maps that I can put routes on from my GPSr to the computer and then print out, but I can't load these maps into my GPSr.

Does anybody have any other efficient ways to get the more detailed maps in the 60csx? That is about $300- $400 in software. I need the higher detail for hiking, I need the less detailed so I have some contours on my handheld, and I need roads etc for general navigation (we have a Nuvi in the car, so I don't need the 60CSx for turn-by-turn routing).

Do I seem to be on the right path ( :D ) software speaking or have I missed a crucial bit of info somewhere?

Thanks

C.

I am not as experienced as many of the folks in this forum.....but, fools venture where angels... ;) you get the drift.

I have a 60csx loaded with US Topo (the ancient one with 1:100K scale maps and with all the streets named "road"), City Navigator NA v8 and Metroguide Europe v7 (parts of each). It is useful to have street names even though you are on a hike, but most Garmin units can show only one map at a time and Street Maps seem to override the topo ones when you have both loaded for the same area. So, you have to painfully, disable the topo segment (you develop a permanent mark on your thumb trying to scroll down the map list - and they are not alphabetically arranged to the map segment that you want to enable/disable).

I think the best option is the US Topo 2008 which Garmin website doesn't show a "release date" which means it is already out. I saw a price of US$ 89 at tigergps.com. This map shows street names besides showing topo details, but it is also 1:100K scale. I have never used US Topo 24K or tried to load National Geographic maps (I remember someone was trying to install them on iQue-3600 a few years back).

Sounds like you have it correct:

1:24,000 = printouts from topo software

1:100,000 = Mapsource TOPO on GPS

For 1:24,000 maps there is National Geographic's TOPO! (aka NG TOPO!), iGage's "All Topo Maps", and Maptech's Terrain Navigator. (Maptech's National Park package is a very good deal - complete 1:24,000 topo quads of all the US' national parks).

I have experience with NG Topo! and Maptech. Both are good programs and provide the ability to print out custom maps with Lat/Long, or UTM grids for use with a UTM roamer. I find that using UTM grids makes pinpointing your location in the back country a snap when the GPS unit is set to UTM.

Both programs allow you to transfer waypoints, routes, track logs, etc. to and from the mapping programs.

When I print maps out I print the 1:24,000 map on one side, and then turn it over and print a 1:50,000 map on the back side. I find it helpful when doing longer hikes. This allows for 1:24,000, 1:50,000, and 1:100,000 maps (1:100,000 on the GPS) to be on hand.

The one thing I don't like about NG Topo! series is that if you have purchased older versions, then addition functionality such as USB support, or support for newer GPS units, may require you to purchase a supplemental add-on package for $20.

Maptech works their support in through the GPS units desktop software, so you don't have to purchase an add-on package.

In terms of paper to use for printing maps... There is National Geographics "Adventure Paper", and also iGage's "Weatherproof Paper". iGage's paper is less per page. Both work in injet printers.

Enjoy.

Edited by cmdigests