Way too cool

there is some really funny stuff posted on this one - many have a great sense of humor -

As for how you handled it Brian - I think you dealt with it just fine (not that my opinion matters to you - just saying).

You were probably one of the lucky few to have such a neat experieince like that while caching - and I am sure you will remember it forever and tell many people about it - I know i would. Its the best cache you will ever find I am sure - well - the best cache that found you lol.

I never cease to be amazed by God's creation!

And a quick question - what type of camera do you have - because it captured a special moment especially well!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

As an interesting asside about fawns. My folks raised exotics for many years, including white tail deer. If you take the fawn away from its mother before the 7th hour after birth, the fawn will not have aquired the mothers sense of fear. We bottle fed several fawns, and they all ended up as tame as a pet dog. It was fun to take deer hunting freinds out there, and have an 8 point buck come running up to the fence when you called his name!

Oh, I forgot to mention. This is how I dress when I hike. I wonder if this had anything to do with it

ch08.jpg

I hope you wear blaze orang during hunting season.

Meh...anywhere else he wouldn't need it,as he's only a four pointer.Much bigger deer around,the hunters wouldn't bother with him.

Now if he was up my neck o' the woods,where guys fight over a spike horn,well thats a different thing. :D

Oh, I forgot to mention. This is how I dress when I hike. I wonder if this had anything to do with it

ch08.jpg

OMG!!!! Are you trying to get yourself killed?!?!? You forgot your blaze orange ...

c4e12941-d4a0-4ed4-b7a6-f8f2e0e62b77.jpg

That's better.

I'm just glad i wasn't drinking something when i saw that one! B)B):D

I too saw a fawn a couple of years ago while geocaching. I only found it because I was looking at my GPSr and not where I was going and almost stepped on it. I didn't have my camera with me. But the fawn did what it is supposed to do, stayed right where it was. I went home and got the camera and came back which took more than a half hour. I then took a bunch of pictures while it stayed right there. Another cacher who came by later also saw it. I was worried about getting head butted by the mother so I didn't stay long.

Lee

I have not read all the posts about this so I may be repeating what has already been said. About the human scent causing a parent to abandon the young; I once decided that that was probably something that was made up by a parent not wanting their kids to mess with an animal’s offspring. Many times I have proven that that statement is totally false. With rabbits and birds anyway, it has made virtually NO difference.

I do not believe that the scent of a human will overcome the instinct of a parent to take care of its young. I will agree however, that it is always best not to touch any animal however unless you have a good reason to.

I’ve read that the best defense of a fawn is to remain still because they have no scent. Apparently predators will walk right past them. This reminds me of the spiders in my house freezing when exposed to light because their usual predators respond best to movement. The one very young fawn I came across remained still even though several people were within touching distance of it. It was curled up on the ground.

-it

A few more points about that scent thing.

1) Adding "human smell" to the animal is just that... adding. It does not remove the animal's own smell, so mom would still be able to recognize the smell underneath, no matter how faint. Deers have a very fine sense of smell.

2) Smell identification appears to be more of a factor in large herds of animal, where there are hundreds of babies and a change of smell might make the mom think that this is someone else's kid trying to steal milk. But even then, she can probably recognize the appearance and voice of her offspring.

3) If the doe comes back to the spot where she left her fawn and finds a fawn, she's probably not going to wonder if that's really hers or if someone switched it. If its at the "left fawn here" waypoint, its her fawn :rolleyes: