Midwest Geobash

Othum

We've had folks asking us if we're going to the MWGB so I decided to open the map and see exactly where it is being held in case we could get a cheap flight to the vicinity on short notice.

It says 'Midwest' but Indiana looks kinda east to me :ph34r: . I guess that's what happens when you live on the west coast, when people say 'midwest' I think of Utah or Arizona B) . No disrepect to our southern neighbours intended, but I had this image in my mind of this being closer than it is. We're not going to be able to make it due to the distances involved.

I'm curious what other states fall into the 'midwest' classification...

On top of the distance hindrance, the 7th and final Harry Potter novel is being released on July 21 and I want to be home to rip into the shipment! Just like geocoins, we've pre-ordered it B) .

Edited by Landsharkz

It says 'Midwest' but Indiana looks kinda east to me :lol: . I guess that's what happens when you live on the west coast, when people say 'midwest' I think of Utah or Arizona :) .

I've always felt the same way about classifying Ontario as "central Canada". To me, it seems like Ontario should be part of "eastern" Canada...that is, until I look at a map to remember how much real estate there is east of there :(

It says 'Midwest' but Indiana looks kinda east to me

It's all relative to the american eastern seaboard. In a way, it's kind of like how we classify the near-east, middle-east and far-east with respect to North America.

I've always felt the same way about classifying Ontario as "central Canada". To me, it seems like Ontario should be part of "eastern" Canada...that is, until I look at a map to remember how much real estate there is east of there :smile:

I have had this discussion with many people from all over Canada. This is a topic that many Canadians are passionate about, particularly during discussion over beer(s). In my experience, I have found that Canadians from Ontario (including me) and eastward generally classify eastern, central and western Canada based on population distribution, that is, they will call the Atlantic provinces eastern Canada, Quebec and Ontario central Canada and BC and the prairie provinces western Canada. In contrast, Canadians from Manitoba to British Columbia generally only recognize a two-fold division based on geography, with the boundary between eastern Canada and western Canada at the Manitoba-Ontario border. The western Canadians that do recognize a central Canada insist it is in Manitoba, the geographic east-west of Canada, not Ontario, which is the population centre of Canada. Now that I am in Alberta, I refrain from using the terms 'eastern Canada' and 'western Canada', but rather, I explicitly state the provinces I am refering to. However, I have been known to refer to the Atlantic provinces as far-eastern Canada :smile: . In the end, it's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by shearzone