Owner note emails not working?

HaLiJuSaPa

How long has this been going on for? I have noticed that there has been times when our owner note emails have been delayed for up to two days, but eventually we have gotten them all. It doesn't happen very often, but it also happens with other notifications.

Since Tuesday.

It could also be server related on your end and not have anything to do with a spam filter.

GC.com is blocking the email address (noreply@geocaching.com) they use to send notifications. To help filter spam, some servers ping all incoming email addresses to make sure they're valid, and since that address is blocked and can't be verified, the server rejects the email and deletes it on the spot before it even gets into your inbox.

If GC.com were to allow the emails to come in and delete them right then, that would fix the problem for any email server that checks the address.

If GC.com were to allow the emails to come in and delete them right then, that would fix the problem for any email server that checks the address.

Yep. A forward to /dev/null would handle it nicely. ('course I don't know how MS handles that.)

We have also missed quite a few mails (after the last update). In a couple of days we have not received any owner emails and watchlist notices. We also published an earthcache that was supposed to be adopted after the publish. There was no adoption request email message either. Pocket queries are working fine as well as notifications of new forum messages. Something seems not to be working as it should.

- OsMi team

I have not been having a problem. I received a notice today for a cache that was found.

I haven't received pocket queries for about a month; certainly none since I recreated them all since the upgrade (just in case), and other notes and emails are 2-4 days late, sometimes I get a reply from someone before I get a copy of my own email.

And yes, I checked the email system, and no, it's not getting eaten as spam.

I'm a premium member for Pocket Queries. I used to have to wait 1-2 weeks to get one or two from a scheduled 5 or 6, now I get nothing, even though I'm currently supposed to receive 5 (different ones) a week.

I hope this gets sorted out soon, because I want to go caching in an area where I haven't been before, and if I need to print out 150 chaches and manually enter them, I'll go insane :o

It could also be server related on your end and not have anything to do with a spam filter.

GC.com is blocking the email address (noreply@geocaching.com) they use to send notifications. To help filter spam, some servers ping all incoming email addresses to make sure they're valid, and since that address is blocked and can't be verified, the server rejects the email and deletes it on the spot before it even gets into your inbox.

I run my own mailserver. I can see from the logs GC.com doesn't even present the emails I am not getting (Pocket Queries), and others can be 2-4 days slow in arriving.

GC.com obvious needs a better/bigger mail server.

If we all chip in a few bucks...?

I've had the same problem. I didn't even know several people had found found two of my caches until I happened to go take a look at the pages to see what the recent site facelift had done to them. I recieved a notification right away about a find on 5/24 on one cache but then 6 finds from 5/26 to 5/29 on two other caches never made it to my inbox.

Have been having similar problems. Anyone who emails me directly from website it is coming right thru. I have not been getting any notifications of people finding my caches. My filter setting on hotmail are set to low. Any advice on how I can solve this would be appreciated.

I am noticing something strange. While I am getting emails for posts to caches on my watchlists, I'm no longer getting them for posts to caches I own. Is this some new bug with the new system?

Been having the same problem since 5/25/07. Have always used Yahoo mail for gc.com account with no issues until now. No e-mails on logs of cachers finding my caches. No e-mail notifications on new caches in my area. No e-mails from caches on the watch list. :blink:

Still not getting owner emails... however, I do get emails sent to me by other cachers via the web site and I got a confirmation of my PM renewal... so I find it hard to believe that my ISP, domain host and/or email app. would selectivly filter out only one type of email from here. perhaps those emails come from different addresses. is there any way for someone to look into this? It seems kind of odd for multiple people to have the same problem start at the same time... which happens to be about the same time there was some system changes at GS...

Add to the list of emails I don't get.... new caches published in my area. :)

Edited by mini cacher

For the past week I have not received owner e-mails and just a few from my watchlist and pocket queries have come through ok. I have however received several completely blank e-mails marked sender unspecified, with no name, no subject and no content.

My provider (Onetel) have stated that they are having problems with some blank e-mails but upon checking my cache lists all the blank e-mails would seem to be in place of the ones that I would normally get from GC.com, so has something regarding owner/watchlist e-mail settings being altered that have caused some servers to corrupt/reject the mail?

Yep ... everyone here is having this same problem (those that aren't are using an ISP that doesn't do the inbound address verification yet).

I posted a more technical analysis of it here. I also sent in a support ticket to Groundspeak but never heard anything back.

Posted a note on one of our caches via the WAP system this afternoon. Dropped 2 TBS into the cache while visiting with family. I use a blackberry with a WAP connection for logging stuff and getting emails.

Got 2 emails prior to the note being written- about finds on our caches.

Got 4 emails after the note being written- about finds on our caches.

We still have not received an email telling us a note was placed on that cache. Does this happen for all notes?? Or just owner placed ones??

-Jen