Achray Campground - HELP!

killerwhaletank

Hey folks,

I created a cache in Algonquin Park not knowing that it would not be approved. (im new at this!)

I left a travel bug in the cache that i'd rather not kill by letting it sit there for the rest of it's life.

If you are going to Achray, please recover this cache, and do what you wish with the contents.

Also, please log the travel bug!

the co-ordinates are

N 45° 52.247 W 077° 46.011

if you need any hints or help finding the cache, dont hesitate to PM me

Cheers!

killerwhaletank

I have a position with ontario parks this summer, so I am going to look into this further.

In the meantime, i'll move the cache to a friendlyer place.

I don't see why they wouldnt be allowed.

Samuel de champlain prov. park is the only one that allows them.

And i think thats because they have a whole GIS dept in the Canadian Ecology Center devoted to Geocaching.

Hello to everybody. Can you please help out my travel bug if you are going to Algonquin park this summer. I feel bad for the new cacher for placing a first cache out, and go home and have it rejected as it is too far from home to look after the cache. I understand and completely agree with the cache reviewer for that point and that it is also forbidden in Provincial Parks. I hope I am able to reach the one cacher, that may be near this unpublished cache. Thanks to the cacher who can free up my stranded Travel Bug.

As mentioned at the COG 777 pub night, I'm planning on mounting a TB Rescue Mission within the next couple of weeks. I'll let Sabresfan know the Mission details. I'll also contact the original poster to confirm the location of the cache.

I'm going to be in Petawawa between the 21-24 July & plan on doing some caches while my wife & Mother in law "catch up".

Will contact the cache owner as well in event our dates are different.

SigsPig

CACHE HAS BEEN RESCUED!

I felt bad for making this novice mistake. I have begun motions in regards to national park caches, but for now, my best course of action was to make a road trip out to achray to pick up the poor little cache.

I apologise again, and lesson learned!! NEVER CREATE A CACHE IN A LOCATION THAT YOU CANNOT EASILY MAINTAIN!!

:D

i will place the travel bug ASAP

thanks guys

NEVER CREATE A CACHE IN A LOCATION THAT YOU CANNOT EASILY MAINTAIN!!

If everyone learned this lesson we would have a lot more parking lot micros :blink:

The lesson is think before you place, make sure you have land owners permission, and the cache is tyrannosaurus proof (that should cover you ever having to make a maintenance visit)

From there, feel free to place it as far in the wilderness as ye dare go!!

I guess I learned my lesson. That was the first and most likely the last time I volunteer for a rescue mission.

NO. I did not check this forum this morning before I leaving for the park. I checked it yesterday afternoon and there was nothing said about it already having been rescued.

I had even emailed the cache owner and notified them of my intentions, but did NOT receive a reply.

Am I p.....d?????? At the present. yes.

Below is my entry I made on our local geocaching forum when I returned at 10PM.

-----------------------------------------------------------

re TB Rescue Mission in Algonquin park.

Well, 420 Km, $64 gas ,and $11 park entrance fee later and I did not find the unauthorized cache. Made my way to the beautiful Archay campground and found GZ easy enough but a 1/2 hour searching did not turn up the cache. Right where the cache most likely was (at least thats where I would have put it), is an innukshuk. I took several pictures of the GZ area and can provide them to anyone else that wants to go looking. I'll notify Sabresfan and KillerWhaleTank (cache owner) of my non success.

The upside of this story is that I bagged a Binthair cache while in the area.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing that this thread does though, is to show how geocachers are more than willing to be responsible, even if it might be after the fact. I know that as a new geocacher, it took a while before I knew that caches weren't currently allowed in Ontario Parks, and other areas such as conservation areas vary depending on the area.

It was unfortunate that dadndaughter made the trek, though glad to hear they were able to get some other caches in. Had the OP posted his intentions before his rescue trip, it might have saved the extra one. In all fairness too, I'm glad the OP decided to be responsible, and correct what they had done. A lot of folks would simply have left it, and maybe retrieved it on another trip to the area.

Greywywnd