Adding waypoints to Mapsource

I'm having trouble finding an efficient way to get waypoints from geocaching.com to my GPSr using Mapsource. Here's what I am doing:

I have several zipped gpx files generated from my pocket queries.

I unzip them so that I have several qpx files with up to 500 waypoints in each.

Open mapsource and I open my saved file where I have the regions of Topo maps selected for my GPRr (you know, the segments that I have selected with the irregular polygon tool).

Now, I want to add the waypoints from several gpx files into the waypoints window of my mapsource file. But all I can seem to do is "open" a new mapsource window with just the waypoints of the file I opened. To make it clearer, I can open the gpx file which has the 500 or so caches near my home, but then when I want to add another 500 or so waypoints from another gpx file of caches near where I work, it opens a new mapsource window, I can't seem to get ALL my waypoints in one window. On top of that, I want them included in my mapsource file where I have my map regions selected.

It is probably something basic I am missing, but glancing through the manual doesn't help (the manual predates the mapsource capability to read gpx files). Essentialy, I want to IMPORT waypoints into an existing mapsource file, not open new mapsource windows. The manual only mentions getting waypoints from a GPSr, not a file stored on the computer. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

I'm having trouble finding an efficient way to get waypoints from geocaching.com to my GPSr using Mapsource. Here's what I am doing:

<snip>

One way: Open the new .gpx file with the 500 new waypoints. Select all the waypoints. Copy and paste into the original file.

Now, I want to add the waypoints from several gpx files into the waypoints window of my mapsource file. But all I can seem to do is "open" a new mapsource window with just the waypoints of the file I opened. To make it clearer, I can open the gpx file which has the 500 or so caches near my home, but then when I want to add another 500 or so waypoints from another gpx file of caches near where I work, it opens a new mapsource window, I can't seem to get ALL my waypoints in one window. On top of that, I want them included in my mapsource file where I have my map regions selected.

You can combine* and dedupe the files with gpsbabel.

BTW, what kind of GPSr is capable of successfully holding multiple 500-waypoint files? I was thinking 1000 is the usual max for most units.

fm

* see the multiple input file syntax in the "group hunt" example.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the max on the Vista is 1000 waypoints. And I thought of copying/pasting on my way to work this morning. I'll try that when I get home.

Copy&Paste will work (tried it myself).

I am not sure if your receiver accepts custom POIs, If yes, you can upload the GPX file as custom POIs and you can have more than 1000 points (they say it's unlimited - I have on mine over 20,000 custom POIs)

If you have GPSBabel you can do some pretty cool little tricks.

I currently have 4000+ waypoints in a file. They are as follows

a.All my unfound caches in the state of Missouri so I can finish the Missouri

Delorme challenge

b. 800+ caches worldwide that I am watching because they looked interesting in someones log or picture.

c. 500 caches nearest the current pharmacy I am working at.

d. All of the first cache in a state and the Cache across America caches.

e. My last unfound APE cache

I use GPSBabel to combine all these caches into one big file. It also changes the names to eliminate the GC at the front of the cache name. It creates two different large files. One that will show the cache ID in the name section of my GPS and the cache name in the comments section. The second file shows the cache name in the name section and the difficulty/terrain/hints in the comment section. This file gets loaded into the GPS as a POI file.

After combining the files GPSBabel queries my gps to find out where I am located and then uploads the nearest 980 caches to me. That gives me 20 spaces to put my hotel, pharmacy and airport info in the gps. I can then work in the area and grab a cache or two at lunch or while driving to the hotel/airport/next pharmacy.

When I change locations I run my GPSBabel file again after deleting all the caches from my gps and it will then upload the nearest 980 caches to me.

I may be a little unique in that I can be in several states in one week 100's of miles apart from each other. Last week I cached in Lexington KY, Flemingsburg KY, Ashland KY, Huntington WV, Gallipolis OH, Providence RI, Woonsocket RI and Wyoming RI.