Cashay!?

Why is it that some people insist on pronouncing it 'cashay' instead of 'cash'? I've introduced a few people to geocaching and some of them want to correct me on the pronunciation of the word cache. Has anyone else ran into this? Why is it that people insist on saying it the wrong way? How do you delicately tell them they are full of crap?

(Ya think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed? <_< )

Because they are only familiar with

Main Entry: ca·chet

Pronunciation: ka-'shA

Function: noun

Etymology: French, from cacher

1 a : a seal used especially as a mark of official approval b : an indication of approval carrying great prestige

Edit (Maingray beat me to it)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Yeh, winds me up too. I think they are getting it confused with "cachet" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cachet and/or just think it sounds more swish to pronounce it with a French accent <_<

Yep, just like some people here on the East Coast love to pronounce the name of the international chain store known as Target as "tarr-sshA".

In my humble opinion, the easiest way to deal with it, if someone tries to "correct" your own pronunciation of the word, is to slap them upside the head.

Why is it that some people insist on pronouncing it 'cashay' instead of 'cash'? I've introduced a few people to geocaching and some of them want to correct me on the pronunciation of the word cache. Has anyone else ran into this? Why is it that people insist on saying it the wrong way? How do you delicately tell them they are full of crap?

(Ya think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed? <_< )

That almost made me spit my cereal out. Very funny! I have never heard that before. As for Tarjhay, I don't think most people say that seriously. I think it's a joke. Though that may be risking giving people more credit than is due...

Why is it that some people insist on pronouncing it 'cashay' instead of 'cash'? Why is it that people insist on saying it the wrong way?

So anyone who disagrees with you is wrong? <_<

Having said that I have had a bit of fun at the expense of one geocacher who kept saying 'cashay'.

As it happens I and most of my fellow countrymen pronounce it geokaysh, as that's the way we have always pronounced cache.

Mix

I have heard members of the military pronouce it that way, like when they say "The patrol found a cash-ay of weapons." <_<

I think that is where people get that pronunciation. Since they heard it on the TeeVee, that must be the correct way to say the word . . . :P

Edit for spelling . . . it's early . . . :P

Edited by Miragee

Yeh, winds me up too. I think they are getting it confused with "cachet" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cachet and/or just think it sounds more swish to pronounce it with a French accent ;)

Yep, just like some people here on the East Coast love to pronounce the name of the international chain store known as Target as "tarr-sshA".

In my humble opinion, the easiest way to deal with it, if someone tries to "correct" your own pronunciation of the word, is to slap them upside the head.

Agreed.

Equally puzzling/annoying are those who say or type "catch" instead of "cache." And don't even get me started on "mugglers" instead of "muggles."

Yes, and also the people who insist upon writing the word as "cash" or "cashe"! Sigh!

Oh, and I was followed by a muggler yesterday while hunting a cache in a local park. :D:huh:

:D;)

I've only heard it pronounced that way by military folks as well... probably got it from the same people that say "new-cu-lur". If you look it up in the dictionary, though, the phonetic spelling is indeed the same as "cash".

I've been in the military for 17 years, and grew up on/around military bases. I've only heard it pronounced "cashay" by the military in the movies, and by some reporters who are embedded with the military.

I did hear a Sergeant use the word once while I was in Iraq... he was quickly and profoundly put in his place by a young PFC. It was really quite funny to watch ;)

I've only heard it pronounced that way by military folks as well... probably got it from the same people that say "new-cu-lur". If you look it up in the dictionary, though, the phonetic spelling is indeed the same as "cash".

I've been in the military for 17 years, and grew up on/around military bases. I've only heard it pronounced "cashay" by the military in the movies, and by some reporters who are embedded with the military.

I did hear a Sergeant use the word once while I was in Iraq... he was quickly and profoundly put in his place by a young PFC. It was really quite funny to watch :D

That's even funnier,especially when you seen it first hand.

:huh:;):D;)

My stepson is in the Army and it is pronounced that way in the units he has been in and had contact with - and he has had ALOT of experience with them (caches). And hey - who am I to argue with a guy who was brave enough to invade Iraq and oust Saddam, or who is overseas working on eliminating the taliban once and for all?!

I do ponounce it as most do here - but when my stepson is around (which won't be for the next 12-18 months at least) I will throw in the "eh" - after all - no harm.

(btw - if you want a good geocaching partner - you can't go wrong with an active military guy or recent vet - except they may not want to use the GPS much - as its not enough of a "challenge")

PS: and to all who serve or have served in the military - thank you for your service to our country. Myself and my family appreciate it!

The best I've heard is "Oh you're looking for one of those geothingeys"

Mispronunciation is one of the smaller things that bother me. You loose a lot of credibility with me if you cant pronounce or make up words. Quick, yins call the ambolance, a geocatcher jist get runded over by a truk.

Ooohhh it drives me NUTS! Thank you thank you thank you! for posting this thread!

I've had conversations with people who insist on calling it "cashay." They usually go something like this:

Them: Have you found that cashay over in Miller Park?

Me: Yes, I found that cache a few weeks ago.

Them: That was a really good cashay.

Me: Yes....yes...it was a well hidden CACHE.

Them: It gave me an idea for a new cashay I could hide.

Me: IT'S CACHE!!! CACHE!!!! CAN'T YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!?!?!?!?

CAAAAACCCCCHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

And such.

Bret

Edited by CYBret

(Ya think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed? ;) )

Not with caches. Indian names, street names and a few other things I've been corrected time and again by people who have it wrong. I find you can lead them to the pool of wisdom but you can't make them drink of the waters. Not even if you print the word out, the proper pronunciation, roll it up and smack them up side the head.

My fe-yonc and I left earl from the buff at the birthd soir for Jos. We wanted to get aw for the rest of the d in my Chevrol, without del, A new cache on my displ, over by the caf, was a pass clich, but was ok with us. We surv that area everyd. We went so fast tod we lost her hairspr and my toup (it's a cabriol). To my dism my batteries were in dec; we would be led astr if we chose to ob and go that w. We went back to the soir, left the Chevrol with the val, and wrote this ess. Hoor!!

[EDIT: one word was maybe a bit too risq]

Edited by KBI

Equally puzzling/annoying are those who say or type "catch" instead of "cache." And don't even get me started on "mugglers" instead of "muggles."

And people that say Hamp-ster,

Lie-berry,

Expresso,

and Sher-bert.

My father warshes things when they need to be cleaned. No clue why.

I have heard members of the military pronouce it that way, like when they say "The patrol found a cash-ay of weapons."

The military is where I've heard this pronunciation as well. This is from active military who are also cachers.

Poe-tay-toe, po-ta-toe...whatever.

This reminds me of a debate that I had with an English geocachin' friend of mine:

I call it a "Kash" (not spelling, pronunciation) . She calls it a "Kaysh", with the elongated vowel. Although I think she is completely "wrong" (no one is ever "wrong" in language, despite what my old English teacher said), I've started finding myself calling them out as "Kayshes", simply because of the novelty...

Yeh, winds me up too. I think they are getting it confused with "cachet" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cachet and/or just think it sounds more swish to pronounce it with a French accent ;)

Agreed.

:D

How do you pronounce "Porsche"?

por-shay

Is there any other way?

Porsh-uh.

That's the way the family that mde them says their name, anyway.

I'm one of the ones that calls it like it reads. After long runing debates with fans...I've realized that the uh ending was the right one, but old habits die hard. I'm still holindg out that Mazda has an a like o in Mod and not a like Math. But Maybe I'll lose that one too.

Ooohhh it drives me NUTS! Thank you thank you thank you! for posting this thread!

I've had conversations with people who insist on calling it "cashay." They usually go something like this:

Them: Have you found that cashay over in Miller Park?

Me: Yes, I found that cache a few weeks ago.

Them: That was a really good cashay.

Me: Yes....yes...it was a well hidden CACHE.

Them: It gave me an idea for a new cashay I could hide.

Me: IT'S CACHE!!! CACHE!!!! CAN'T YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!?!?!?!?

CAAAAACCCCCHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

And such.

Bret

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!! :D;):huh:

My personal forum peeves are people typing "your" instead of "you're" and "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" as in "I could care less about what your saying" - but then again, that's just me! :D

Edited by JamGuys

People from different regions pronounce words differently. In my opinion none is right or wrong. We here in WY. would never pronounce rodeo (ro de o) the way they do in California (ro day o). Down south 45 miles of here (Cheyenne) is a little river called Cache La Poudre. Check out this listing... GC135GN for a new cache listed on this little river, it explains how the French would hide their blackpowder (poudre) when caught in a storm. With that said, the local dialect here uses (cash) not (cashay) unless talking about the river.

Corps... I made the mistake in Jr. high school, a long long time ago, and said "corpse" instead of "core" got an F on an oral report for that slip up. LOL ;)

Why is it that some people insist on pronouncing it 'cashay' instead of 'cash'? Why is it that people insist on saying it the wrong way?

So anyone who disagrees with you is wrong? ;)

Having said that I have had a bit of fun at the expense of one geocacher who kept saying 'cashay'.

As it happens I and most of my fellow countrymen pronounce it geokaysh, as that's the way we have always pronounced cache.

Mix

if someone insists that the word spelled "green" is really pronounced "grine", are they wrong? does their adoption of this pronunciation make them right if they believe it enough?

to my way of thinking, if you are ignorant of the correct pronunciation, you should look it up. you should not fly blind and perpetuate the darkness. it isn't about whether or not people agree or not. it's not about opinion. if you insist on "cashay", you are wrong. if you spell "banana" with an "r", you are wrong. if you multiply seven by six and get twelve, you are wrong. it has nothing to do with whether you agree with me; you would be just as wrong if i had never been born.

tangentially related, "forte", as in "it's not my forte" is properly pronounced "fort". NOT "for-tay". people who know this are so few that gradually most of us give up using the word altogether, just out of frustration with every bozo who tries to correct us. it is from the french "forte", meaning strong, and not the italian "forte", meaning loud.

I've met a few people who pronounce it "cashay". For some reason it makes me want to punch them right in the nose.

Just as annoying are cache owners who spell it "cash" or "cashe" on their cashay pages.

i have an idea: let's put the people who say "cashay" in a small cage with the people who write "cash/e". we'll put in enough food for half of them, then we shake the whole thing up and let them go at each other.

ooooh, oooh! we can sell tickets! we can use the money for re-educaton of the survivors!

if there are no survivors, we take the proceeds and go to happy hour.

tangentially related, "forte", as in "it's not my forte" is properly pronounced "fort". NOT "for-tay". people who know this are so few that gradually most of us give up using the word altogether, just out of frustration with every bozo who tries to correct us. it is from the french "forte", meaning strong, and not the italian "forte", meaning loud.

Actually the dictionary I have says both are OK.

Actually the dictionary I have says both are OK.

I've never heard the fort version. Only for tay.