Buy now or wait!?

Ok, so I'm new to geocaching and am hooked. I have gotten the go ahead from the wife to get a GPSr and have been researching for the last few days in these and other forums.

I have narrowed it down to the eTrex Venture cx and the Vista cx.

My quandry is that I always do my research, buy what I think is right at a decent price and a few weeks later Bang! they come out with upgraded models.

With the hcx upgrades announced (sort of), if I buy now, will the prices drop on the models I am looking at or I might want the higher sensitivity chips for my GPSr. Since we really don't know when they'll drop - although more and more stores are listing them other than Amazon - what should I do!?????

Thanks!

Team MikMac

Arizona

I was thinking the same thing a short while ago. Did a lot of research and some hands on testing. Decided on the Legend CX. During that period I heard about "new and improved" models on the horizon. But I figure that's the way it always goes. Decided to start enjoying the GPS now and have it for the summer. The price was good and it works great!

Peter

Living in AZ to your really need the higher sensitivity? The few times I've been there it is pretty open and trees aren't that much of an issue.

The Legend CX and Venture CX both have pretty good reception. Not quite up to the units with the Sirf chips, but good enough.

Living in AZ to your really need the higher sensitivity? The few times I've been there it is pretty open and trees aren't that much of an issue.

The Legend CX and Venture CX both have pretty good reception. Not quite up to the units with the Sirf chips, but good enough.

I agree. It is the same way in San Diego and my 60CS works just as well as others 60CSXs most of the time! ;)

Do you cache in the woods? If you do, then you might want to consider the Garmin 60 Csx--much better reception under forest canopy. Otherwise, I would suggest waiting to see if Garmin does come out with eTrex Hc models--rumor is, they will use high-sensitivity chipsets with reception comparable to the 60.

I hike and cache in AZ--up north, tree canopy can be a problem. In the south, it's canyons, which degrade reception just as badly as trees when you're down in 'em. I would echo the recommendation that it's better to have high sensitivity and not need it than the other way around.

Edited by imajeep