Found disks on in NGS database?

Doc Geo

(This was posted on the NGS Forum as well.)

Ok, I am really confused. I recently found two disks AX0798 and AX0797 (photos are included at these links). The datasheets say they were both monumented in 1966 but both disks are stamped 1943 and the culverts they were both on look old enough to be 1943. I can not find anything on the NGS site for these two disks. Can anyone help? I don't know what else to do with these to identify exactly what I found. The links to their datasheets are: AX0797 and AX0798 .

Barry Watson

(This was posted on the NGS Forum as well.)

Ok, I am really confused. I recently found two disks AX0798 and AX0797 (photos are included at these links). The datasheets say they were both monumented in 1966 but both disks are stamped 1943 and the culverts they were both on look old enough to be 1943. I can not find anything on the NGS site for these two disks. Can anyone help? I don't know what else to do with these to identify exactly what I found. The links to their datasheets are: AX0797 and AX0798 .

Barry Watson

My guess is they were placed by the Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1943, then they were surveyed to NGS standards and added to the data base in 1966.

Others with more experience will add their comments, I am sure.

Doc Geo, I think you have the right disks, but I would email Deb Brown at the NGS. Odds are what 68-eldo said, and the datasheet adds a confusing note by saying the year stamped on the disk is 1966. Too bad there's no MARK_LOGO. I'd bet it's the right station, and there was just some confusion when entering it into the system.

There's a chance that the NGS might not have found the USC&GS 1943 disk in 1966, and remonumented, but I really doubt it.

Edit: Oh, see BDT's more authoritative comment in the NGS category, yesterday.

Edited by BuckBrooke