Send to GPS Error?

RogFel

Every time I use the new feature - "Send to GPS" the coordinates that are sent are incorrect! They do not match the listed coordinates on the web page. They are even wrong on the caches that I placed! Am I alone in having this problem?

Every time I use the new feature - "Send to GPS" the coordinates that are sent are incorrect! They do not match the listed coordinates on the web page. They are even wrong on the caches that I placed! Am I alone in having this problem?

Just got back from vacation and noticed bunches of new features - tried this one and no luck so far. Can't even get it to send coords to my garmin. Have downloaded the app twice, rebooted both times as required, click on "Send to GPS" and nothing but the little window telling me to download the latest version! My browser is Firefox 2.0.0.3 - Garmin 60C via USB

When I try it seems to be dropping the last digit in both lat and lon.

For Example:

From the cache page: N 38 55.043 W076 57.151

Downloaded: N 38 56.040 W076 57.150

It's also pulling it in with a flag icon instead of the typical cache icon. Therefore the Garmin Geocaching feature doesn't recognize it as a cache.

Edited by BRTango

I am relieved it is not my GPS. I have downloaded six geocaches and none matched the coordinates on the web page. Sometimes either the latitude or longitude is correct, but never both. Mostly they are both off by 0.002 or 0.003 minutes.

I tried it out and thought it worked fairly well until I read this thread. Then I looked more closely. The waypoint downloaded but the coords are slightly off. As others have also said, I got it with a flag and not the geocache icon. I also had to download / install the plugin twice before it worked at all.

So, yes, buggy.

Yeah it's just rounding off the last digit.

If you change your gamin to show decimal degrees, then go and take a look at the "loc" file you can download (using a text editor) you'll see that the coordinates there are 6 decimal places. Therefore when the garmin is coverting the 6 decimal place decimal degrees value to degrees/minute format as per the standard view on the website there is a small discrepency.

If we could change the website to allow us to chose what format of degrees was displayed, we could use the decimal degrees for both the website AND garmin and I think they'd both be exactly the same.

Edited by pilotsnipes

Just got back from vacation and noticed bunches of new features - tried this one and no luck so far. Can't even get it to send coords to my garmin. Have downloaded the app twice, rebooted both times as required, click on "Send to GPS" and nothing but the little window telling me to download the latest version! My browser is Firefox 2.0.0.3 - Garmin 60C via USB

I have the same problem as popop. All I get is that little window. Browser is Firefox 2.0.0.4 - Garmin etrex Legend Cx. Have downloaded the app and did the test page which says that my GPS is detected and communicating properly.

I sent a note to Groundspeak about the icon and thier reply was to post it on the forums. I found that rather strange.

I've seen it mentioned in a few other threads - yes needs to be the closed chest geocaching icon so it works well with the Garmin Geocaching function. I would actually clasify this as a "bug" or error.

I have the same problem as popop. All I get is that little window. Browser is Firefox 2.0.0.4 - Garmin etrex Legend Cx. Have downloaded the app and did the test page which says that my GPS is detected and communicating properly.

I have tried it in IE and it works fine (except for the flag icon). The difference is that with IE there is a 'button' to push that says "send to GPS" on the smaller window - that button doesn't appear when I use the Firefox browser!

Well.. considering we didn't create the Garmin plug-in we are pretty limited as to the scope of what we can do.

-Raine

Well.. has anyone contacted Garmin as to what can be done about the icon?

... or the coordinate format? (That's the main problem, right?)

I tried three just now as a test. Two worked perfectly, but one was erroneous on the last two latitude digits and on the last longitude digit.

If this otherwise VERY cool and convenient feature has to be followed up each time with individual inspection and manual adjustment of each waypoint, then it probably isn't worth having, in my opinion. It will be AWESOME if it can be fixed, but if it can't be fixed I would vote to have it removed in order to de-clutter the page.

Well.. considering we didn't create the Garmin plug-in we are pretty limited as to the scope of what we can do.

-Raine

I doubt if anything can be done. Not all GPS units have the geocaching icon. It looks like it's defaulting to a generic icon, so it can be used on the greatest number of units.

I doubt if anything can be done. Not all GPS units have the geocaching icon. It looks like it's defaulting to a generic icon, so it can be used on the greatest number of units.

hmmmmmm - I wonder what would happen if I change the "default" icon on my unit....

-Raine

The problem that people are having with the icon is that it's not the closed chest, which is what Garmin GPSr use for their Goecaching mode. If you don't have a Garmin then this feature doesn't work for you anyways and most people have a geocaching compatible GPSr (that has the geocaching mode).

The problem that people are having with the icon is that it's not the closed chest, which is what Garmin GPSr use for their Goecaching mode. If you don't have a Garmin then this feature doesn't work for you anyways and most people have a geocaching compatible GPSr (that has the geocaching mode).

My guess is that this new feature wasn't developed by Garmin just for the use of geocachers. Not all who download waypoints from Web sites are geocachers....

--Larry

My guess is that this new feature wasn't developed by Garmin just for the use of geocachers. Not all who download waypoints from Web sites are geocachers....

--Larry

I will need to look into the Api but it seems like such a basic thing to be able to control what icon the waypoint gets. From what Raine posted - I would conclude that the interface does not support setting the icon.

--Larry

I will need to look into the Api but it seems like such a basic thing to be able to control what icon the waypoint gets. From what Raine posted - I would conclude that the interface does not support setting the icon.

Constructor Summary

Garmin.MapIcons()

Icons used to mark waypoints and POIs on Google maps.

Setting the icon is in the Garmin Communicator API, so it seems the fault in the wrong icon goes back to this websites scripting.

Constructor Summary

Garmin.MapIcons()

Icons used to mark waypoints and POIs on Google maps.

Setting the icon is in the Garmin Communicator API, so it seems the fault in the wrong icon goes back to this websites scripting.

yup - my conclusion as well.........

Actually now that I have been looking over the code on the Geocaching website I found the correct line in question.

Here's from the geocaching website:

waypoint = new Garmin.WayPoint(lat, lng, elv, name, descr);

Here's the API information:

initialize

void initialize(lat, lng, elev, name, desc, sym, type)

So the problem IS with the website coding they simply left off the sym (symbol) and so it defaults to the blue flag on color units and a pixel on non color units.

Actually now that I have been looking over the code on the Geocaching website I found the correct line in question.

Here's from the geocaching website:

Here's the API information:

initialize

void initialize(lat, lng, elev, name, desc, sym, type)

So the problem IS with the website coding they simply left off the sym (symbol) and so it defaults to the blue flag on color units and a pixel on non color units.

So this should be a relatively easy fix then?

I'm glad to see the problem with the icon is so easily fixed. It was annoying...

The issue I have is that every cache I send to the GPSr (a Garmin 60CSx) also shows up in the "Recent Finds" Category. I have always thought that caches were supposed to show up there AFTER they have been found.

This one is not so bothersome, though...Just my $0.02 (My laptop keyboard does not have the "cent" character :D )

Mine is flat-out not working. Garmin's test page says that it is installed correctly, and it correctly tells me that my 60CSx is connected, but when I click the "Send to GPS" button, a window pops up with the "Sorry, we only support Garmin GPS units" message.

This is the same problem I have with Firefox - this is a print screen of how that pop-up window SHOULD look (from IE), but with Firefox, the 'send to GPS' button is not there. Is there a fix for it, or is it a Garmin problem?

sendtogarmin.jpg

This is the same problem I have with Firefox - this is a print screen of how that pop-up window SHOULD look (from IE), but with Firefox, the 'send to GPS' button is not there. Is there a fix for it, or is it a Garmin problem?

sendtogarmin.jpg

I'm using the latest version of Firefox (version 2.0.0.4) and the "Send to GPS" button shows up for me, and I'm able to successfully send the waypoint to my GPS. Could you post a screenshot of the pop-up you get in Firefox? That might help somebody pinpoint the issue.

I'm glad to see the problem with the icon is so easily fixed. It was annoying...

The issue I have is that every cache I send to the GPSr (a Garmin 60CSx) also shows up in the "Recent Finds" Category. I have always thought that caches were supposed to show up there AFTER they have been found.

This one is not so bothersome, though...Just my $0.02 (My laptop keyboard does not have the "cent" character :D )

Actually, I'm just stupid on this one. The simple act of VIEWING a cache on my Garmin places it in the "Recent Finds" category.

This is clearly not a Geocaching.com problem. It may be working as designed and I didn't read the manual correctly.

In any event, never mind... B)

I'm using the latest version of Firefox (version 2.0.0.4) and the "Send to GPS" button shows up for me, and I'm able to successfully send the waypoint to my GPS. Could you post a screenshot of the pop-up you get in Firefox? That might help somebody pinpoint the issue.

Here's what I get with Firefox/2.0.0.4. My GPS is a Garmin etrex Legend Cx. The test page says the Plugin is properly installed and my Garmin GPS device is detected and communicating properly.

SendToGarmin-Firefox.jpg

Here's what I get with Firefox/2.0.0.4. My GPS is a Garmin etrex Legend Cx. The test page says the Plugin is properly installed and my Garmin GPS device is detected and communicating properly.

SendToGarmin-Firefox.jpg

Just hit the F5 key when the pop-up appears. That will solve your problem.

This thread seems to be dropping off the page and the problem hasn't been fixed. I think it should be a simple fix. Here's the code from geocaching.com:

function getWptData() {
		var lat = 33.820283;
var lng = -84.728183;
var elv = 0;
var name = 'GC1397T';
var descr = 'Blessed are the Meek #8 - Relocate';
var type = 'Geocache|'

var sym = 'Geocache';

var factory = new Garmin.GpsDataFactory();
		var gpx = factory.produceGpxString(null, [waypoint]);

I think this is how it should be:

function getWptData() {
		var lat = 33.820283;
var lng = -84.728183;
var elv = 0;
var name = 'GC1397T';
var descr = 'Blessed are the Meek #8 - Relocate';
var type = 'Geocache';
var sym = 'Geocache';

waypoint = new Garmin.WayPoint(lat, lng, elv, name, descr, sym, type);
		var factory = new Garmin.GpsDataFactory();
		var gpx = factory.produceGpxString(null, [waypoint]);

Note the subtle changes made:

1)"|" removed in var type= line

2)";" added in var type = line

3)", sym, type" added in the line where the wapoint is created

Maybe this is really picky, but it would be so sweet if it also dowloaded the clue into the notes like I do with GSAK!!!

Is this possible or do you think it will be in the near future?

I believe that the Send to GPS feature downloads a .loc which doesn't include any additional information. To have the hint included would require it to be a .gpx.

(Someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

Maybe this is really picky, but it would be so sweet if it also dowloaded the clue into the notes like I do with GSAK!!!

:o How long does it take to download the individual .gpx file, open it in GSAK, highlight that cache, rightclick, and choose "Send to GPSr now?" :)

B):blink:

:blink: How long does it take to download the individual .gpx file, open it in GSAK, highlight that cache, rightclick, and choose "Send to GPSr now?" :)

B):)

About 30 seconds... but come on... that's 30 seconds we'll never get back :o

B):D

It does load similar to the way a .loc is loaded, but the communicator plugin is not limiting the possibilities of a hint in the description. So all it would take is changing the code on geocaching.com, but I think having the hint right in the description would cause more people complaining that not having it.

why would ANYONE complain about having the hint on there GPS? You think they want to print the hint and carry paper or there palm? If they don't want hint, don't look at it!

Help me understand this....

It does load similar to the way a .loc is loaded, but the communicator plugin is not limiting the possibilities of a hint in the description. So all it would take is changing the code on geocaching.com, but I think having the hint right in the description would cause more people complaining that not having it.

why would ANYONE complain about having the hint on there GPS? You think they want to print the hint and carry paper or there palm? If they don't want hint, don't look at it!

Help me understand this....

Some people want more of a challenge. We typically won't look at a hint until we have given it our best search. Others wont take anything with them but the coords. This is why the hint is at the bottom of the page and encrypted with a code. If everyone wanted to see the hint right off then it would be decrypted and right under the name.