Re-activating an archived cache

I was wondering what would the process be for reactivating a recently archived cache if possible? We found it today and replaced the items in question with a more durable, stable, and water tight container. We've had a devil of a time it seems sending a message to our area reviewer as he's not replied to any of our previous requests which has us wondering.

I was wondering what would the process be for reactivating a recently archived cache if possible? We found it today and replaced the items in question with a more durable, stable, and water tight container. We've had a devil of a time it seems sending a message to our area reviewer as he's not replied to any of our previous requests which has us wondering.

You may wish to contact them about adopting it yourself.

i can understand you wanting to unarchive it but hey, for those who love the numbers, you could justmake it a new one. i have two caches that went bad, one because of asign i had it placed at was torn down and then 5 months later they erected a new one so instead of unarchiving it, i just made it a new one with all the same info. the other one kept getting replaced incorrectly and i kept having to go out and retrieve it so i redid the whole thing with a new (bigger) container and placed it in a better fashion and since it was in thesame location but almost different in every since, i just made it new too.

So this isn't a cache you currently own. Well, there may be other things going on you aren't aware of.

You probably should submit a cache placement request and then be in the proper position to maintain it.

I never really cared for active caches with no active owner. What happens when someone sends the owner an email, say like the land manager? No response I guess.

This may vary by reviewer but I too found an archived cache and asked about reviving it. I was told to collect and trash I found in the woods and if I wanted that site, to submit a new cache. Seemed harsh at the time but it makes sense.

Fair point. You can just leave the cache there and submit it as new. Same result. The cache is back.

This may vary by reviewer but I too found an archived cache and asked about reviving it. I was told to collect and trash I found in the woods and if I wanted that site, to submit a new cache. Seemed harsh at the time but it makes sense.

Fair point. You can just leave the cache there and submit it as new. Same result. The cache is back.

Sure, if you had aready gone to the trouble of adding a new log and container. In my case I would have had to have gotten another permit as well and since the area already had a fair number of close by caches and the site meant nothing special to me, I declined.

It's not our cache. It's also located in a park in a town only 20 miles at best away where we visit at least twice a month. Our checking on it if need be isn't a problem at all. The actual location of the cache is not in an area likely to be muggled by anything other than a nefarious raccoon or determined deer. The previous dnf's on it were due to a poor container I believe and the ammo can we used as a replacement should suffice.

The original owner doesn't seem to have logged on since sometime last year and could well be MIA. Previous finders have cleaned the area and we didn't notice anything around after a good inspection.

We thought at worst we could resubmit but wondered if it would be possible to just 'turn the lights back on' so to speak.

You would need to submit a new cache. We would not unarchive and then adopt out the old cache. Feel free to submit a new listing.

If it had been abandoned it could be adopted out once the owners were given a shot. What changes with an archived and abandoned cache? The container is still there. I can see if the cache was gone. Then the history should remain intact. With the cache there, it seems the cache history is still ongoing.?

What's the sites thinking?

Just my thinking, don't they have to draw the line somewhere? How far back would they have to define? If I were them I'd say forget the foreseeable petitions of when someone didn’t request an adoption within a time period, and simply say Done is Done.

That's pretty much it.

RK, in the OP's case, the owners were given a shot. They did not respond. The cache was archived. The OP replaced the container. It is then a new cache.

I'm just now seeing this thread, ironically after spending a chunk of the evening getting caught up on my reviewer e-mails after the holiday weekend. The OP wrote to me last Thursday about a cache that I had posted a note to about two weeks prior to that. On Friday I took off on a caching roadtrip, but I had time during the evenings to review new caches, check in on the forums, etc. I could not keep up with all the e-mails, however. When a calendar reminder popped up to tell me there was a batch of caches to archive due to lack of maintenance, I took care of that. I saw the OP's e-mail today and replied to it.

My reply, interestingly enough, mirrors mtn-man's sage advice above. We don't adopt out archived caches, so go ahead and hide a new cache. The owner's MIA but why deprive him of his count in the "hidden" column?

...My reply, interestingly enough, mirrors mtn-man's sage advice above. We don't adopt out archived caches, so go ahead and hide a new cache. The owner's MIA but why deprive him of his count in the "hidden" column?

There you go. A simple and fair reason with a reasonable solution. It just reminds me that the same issue exists on active involuntary adoptions though. But that's another thing for later.