Petition: Bring back OS Grid Refs!

Following the recent removal of OS Grid Refs from cache details pages, I am starting a petition to get them put back.

Please add to the thread to show your support.

It is very irritating that they have gone off the main cache page if you are using either a paper map or PocketNav. I personally like relating to an OS map when I'm out and about. On the other hand you can click on "other conversions" to the right of the Lat/long if you have ages of time to spend preparing before you go out, although it does not give the two alpha part of the grid ref (which should not be a problem unless you are caching over a large geographic area).

:( well they are there but under 'other conversions'.

Actually I fully agree with you that they should be up front on UK caches. Often I immediately copy them into the OS on-line maps simply to identify the nearest footpaths, streams, hazards etc.

As I said on another GC posting: PLEASE dont make this redesign a triumph of form over function.

PS give me back my GC numbers on the printouts.

PPS MODS - PLEASE PLEASE put your word in for some common sense here.

Wasn't there a greasemonkey add-on to get the OS maps to display? It doesn't appear to work anymore.

There was, but gc.com are fiddling with the cache pages faster than Edgemaster can keep up with! He says he will fix the script once the cache pages have settled down.

Lisa

Edit: linky to the other thread.

Edited by minstrelcat

I've already patched the OS map linker Greasemonkey script, which inserts links to 1:25K OS maps into cache pages to cope, but I'm not sure it works for everyone. Like EdgeMaster, I'll keep an eye on the changes and release a fully updated version once things calm down.

Following the recent removal of OS Grid Refs from cache details pages, I am starting a petition to get them put back.

I fully agree. It is most baffling that they removed it!

I also want the Waypoint back on the print friendly pages and not just in the title.

I'm not very fond of the way the cache size is shown. It isn't clear enough. You end up with stuff like:

"Castle Rock (North Devon)

A cache Virtual Cache"

I do prefer the Yahoo Maps to the previous maps but OS are best (I suppose they would demand far too much moola though!)

Totally agree.

We, too, like to use paper maps and it is useful to be able to plot approximate cache locations on paper maps. When we first started caching and were still getting to grips with the GPS, we relied on paper maps and OS references to check we were in the right general area.

I also agree with KewFriend's request to put the GC numbers on print-outs. I hadn't noticed these were missing until reading this thread.

These changes mean more preparation time at home and less time caching - preparation should not be made more cumbersome.

Totally agree.

We, too, like to use paper maps and it is useful to be able to plot approximate cache locations on paper maps. When we first started caching and were still getting to grips with the GPS, we relied on paper maps and OS references to check we were in the right general area.

I also agree with KewFriend's request to put the GC numbers on print-outs. I hadn't noticed these were missing until reading this thread.

These changes mean more preparation time at home and less time caching - preparation should not be made more cumbersome.

FYI, whilst I agree totally with much that has been said there is an alternative that I have found very useful.

Go here - follow the instructions for bookmarking the page (it works for both IE and Firefox) and then all you have to do is highlight any co-ords on a cache page and another window will open with a 1:25000 OS map of the area. This can be blown up to high res, or zoomed out to 1:500000 and lower.

Certainly worth a look I think <_<:P

FYI, whilst I agree totally with much that has been said there is an alternative that I have found very useful.

Go here - follow the instructions for bookmarking the page (it works for both IE and Firefox) and then all you have to do is highlight any co-ords on a cache page and another window will open with a 1:25000 OS map of the area. This can be blown up to high res, or zoomed out to 1:500000 and lower. <_<:P

YEP - WORKS WELL, but lets have OS grid back as well. :P

Go here - follow the instructions for bookmarking the page (it works for both IE and Firefox) and then all you have to do is highlight any co-ords on a cache page and another window will open with a 1:25000 OS map of the area. This can be blown up to high res, or zoomed out to 1:500000 and lower.

WOW! I love this! Thanks for the tip :P

Many thanks Eckington for that great link (being a newbie I wasn't aware of that tool).

And echoing others points, I'd still like to see the OS Grid Refs making a return to the cache details page. I'd hazard a guess that >90% of people in the UK use OS Grid Refs as their preferred coordinates format.

Totally agree.

We like to do a cut and paste to a word document and find the OS grid refs are a very useful 'belt and braces' back up for checking we have got all the information correct.

Also useful for planning our cache outings in home comfort before venturing out with to find caches using OS map to follow the route.

Please give us back OS grid references soon please.

The OS grid refs were ideal when planning a trip using paper maps, because the location could be plotted directly, and a series of cache visits planned as part of a circular walk, or even drive! The 'Other Conversions' does not give the normal OSGB co-ordinates.

The lat-long were fine for use with the gps.

For those using Cachemate, there is a plug-in that calculates the OS from the Lat-long on the page itself, which is very useful, and is quick to do, at least it is on my Palm Vx.

Then there is Mimee, another Palm program (free) that converts co-ordinates. It is a little tricky to use, but once you get used to it, it is very good.

But - why take them away in the first place? It seems totally unnecessary.

I'd think people in the main forums are also arguing.

UTM Coordinates served the purpose of OS Grid References for the rest of the world. These have also been moved to the other conversions page, and are likely to annoy others as much as us.

However, we will not be heard by the site admins on the UK section of these forums.

I'd hazard a guess that >90% of people in the UK use OS Grid Refs as their preferred coordinates format.

I'd hazard a guess that >90% of people on the UK would have absolutely no idea what you're talking about! ;):D

However... As far as caching goes, I'd bet that >90% of cachers use WGS84 90% of the time and very few actually bother with OSGB. It would probably only be those that have made the transition from hill walking / orienteering type pursuits that would want to convert the cache page co-ordinates to OS grid references.

I rarely take OS maps with me any more. I usually dump my selected caches straight from GSAK to MemoryMap and print out map sections, with the caches already indicated on them, if I think they'll be needed. There's no need to do any conversion.

I'd hazard a guess that >90% of people in the UK use OS Grid Refs as their preferred coordinates format.

I'd hazard a guess that >90% of people on the UK would have absolutely no idea what you're talking about! ;):D

However... As far as caching goes, I'd bet that >90% of cachers use WGS84 90% of the time and very few actually bother with OSGB. It would probably only be those that have made the transition from hill walking / orienteering type pursuits that would want to convert the cache page co-ordinates to OS grid references.

I rarely take OS maps with me any more. I usually dump my selected caches straight from GSAK to MemoryMap and print out map sections, with the caches already indicated on them, if I think they'll be needed. There's no need to do any conversion.

But those of us who do not have the latest mapping hardware and software are dependent on OSGB for planning caching trips, and are frustrated by their removing them for no obvious reason. It does annoy me to see co-ords that I do not use, as I assume that someone else finds them useful. Since geocaching is a worldwide activity, should this not be reflected in the way the information about a cache is presented?

Since geocaching is a worldwide activity, should this not be reflected in the way the information about a cache is presented?

It is, isn't it? I was under the impression that WGS84 was an international thing and could be understood anywhere in the world. OSGB, unfortunately, isn't. It's only applicable to a tiny little part of the world and, dare I say it, outside these hallowed shores, totally insignificant.

Since geocaching is a worldwide activity, should this not be reflected in the way the information about a cache is presented?

It is, isn't it? I was under the impression that WGS84 was an international thing and could be understood anywhere in the world. OSGB, unfortunately, isn't. It's only applicable to a tiny little part of the world and, dare I say it, outside these hallowed shores, totally insignificant.

Absolutely right.

However, my point is - OSGB was there, so why take it away? And the other point is that all our paper maps have OSGB (okay they have Lat=-ong as well in small print, but with no grids drawn) and the cost of changing the printed maps is far more than for gc keeping the OSGB on the cache pages.

If my memory serves me right, Finnish caches used to have KKJ refs (the local equivalent of OSGB), too as well as a link to karttapaikka (kind of Finnish streetmap.co.uk, literally "map place")

Anyway, I just checked out a Finnish cache and the Karttapaikka link is still there, but the "other conversions" page shows a "British Grid" reference!! :D Now this is serious nonsense, as the British grid doesn't apply (apart from maybe as a mathematical theoretical possibility) in Finland.

Perhaps I'm dreaming about Finnish caches ever having KKJ on them (they should have, but it's up to our Finnish friends to lobby for that), but they certainly never had OSGB on them, and they don't need it now!!

Perhaps Mr Lactodorum could also consider suggesting that it's really inappropriate to show "British Grid" for caches not in the UK as it's not a worldwide co-ordinate system (not sure about Rep of Ireland, it may make sense there but I don't know if it's used on the maps ... I think the National Grid post-dates Irish independence doesn't it? ).

PS Crikey, I just went to a cache in Australia and it's faithfully reporting a British Grid of -58438623 9888967 ;)

Perhaps Mr Lactodorum could also consider suggesting that it's really inappropriate to show "British Grid" for caches not in the UK as it's not a worldwide co-ordinate system

I agree but I'll let it ride until I hear something about my original request to have "normal" OS references back on the main cache page.

Forgive me for being so slow to catch up with this but I thought there was something funny going on with the way the geocaching web site looked - now I realise what it is...

Now, ignore me if we stand alone on this but we totally rely on the OS grid refs (including the sheet ref letters). Almost 300 caches and 3 years after we started this game I still spend a few hours evening cutting and pasting the relevant info (grid ref, title, info, clues etc) into Notepad and printing them out (or even write them out by hand at least half the time). We then spend an evening (with glass of wine at home or pint if it is int he pub) with a pile of maps and a pencil planning our route for our next outing, which footpaths to take, how many we can find on a walk etc - using the OS grid refs!

Now, I realise that I could type all the lat/longs into my GPSr (or a Web site) and convert them but I really don't relish the idea when it is so much more simple as it was.

We have a etrex summit, no mapping software, no wires!, no handheld gismo and no money to aquire any of them. Besides, we like our system!

Please tell me if I have missed the point here!

ps - this isn't really meant as a grumble - just a vote for KEEP THE OS GRID REFS.

Another plea to please, please, please bring back the OS ref on the cache page. Yes we can convert cooordinates, but it was so much easier before. Not all of us are techically minded - my mum and dad always use OS as it fits in with downloadable walks and their paper maps so they hate the new layout. The old saying applies - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'd hazard a guess that >90% of people on the UK would have absolutely no idea what you're talking about! :D:D

>90 % of people probably don't use them whilst out caching, they were very useful when on the cache page....I used to highlight, copy and paste into Autoroute and gave me a general area at a glance, zooming in and out instantly....I know the Streetmap is only one click away, but only has a small area on show.

So........I say "BRING 'EM BACK!!!!" ;)

Edited by GAZ

I have been thinking about this whilst driving, I can’t understand why anyone would want to use OSGB36 references, the reason; well basically they are designed for flat paper, and not a real world earth. There is in some parts of the UK up to 10% error in the calculations what your GPSr does to find the position, to make them moiré accurate would just slow your GPSr down, so I stick to WGS84, the datum that GPSr deal best with.

I have been thinking about this whilst driving, I can’t understand why anyone would want to use OSGB36 references, the reason; well basically they are designed for flat paper, and not a real world earth. There is in some parts of the UK up to 10% error in the calculations what your GPSr does to find the position, to make them moiré accurate would just slow your GPSr down, so I stick to WGS84, the datum that GPSr deal best with.

I use them because they are in the correct format for use in memory map, if the lat/long figures are used the N and W are in the wrong places for pasting into MM

Bob S

We don't imput the British Grid Coords into the GPS, but they invaluable for getting the gist for where a cache may be on a map (the day I'm able to plot lat / long on a map I'll eat my hat! :o ). You said yourself they are designed for flat paper and that's when we use them.

When out caching in the countryside we tend to navigate by map rather than just follow the arrow, and only consult the GPSr once we get within a few hundred yards or so. As we already own loads of paper maps, were not going to waste a rain forest printing new ones showing the cache location when we can have a quick look at the OS grid coords and draw a dot on one of our old maps. It's purely about cost :P.

I've now gone paper free and put memory map on my PDA so it's usually not an issue for me, but the rest of the family are technophobes and wil never change - they like taking paper out with them.