How many use an ATV for geocaching?

Hi everyone,

For quite some time now I have considered buying an ATV for hitting the backroads in my area. We live in the interior of British Columbia, so we have a lot of open country.

Just wondering how many people who are involved in geocaching (our newly acquired interest :( ) use an ATV for cache hunts? And are there many geocaches that would be best accessed by an ATV?

Peter

where we wilderness camp . . . and yes, the color is real . . .

rDCP_1753.jpg

We have 2 Polaris ATVs. Not bought for Geocaching, We usually use our normal Geo-mobile for caching, but when we go camping in CO. or here in WY. we always look in the area for caches that we can do on our ATVs. It's a little different, we mount our GPS on the ATV and follow ESTABLISHED trails. We don't forge our own trails to get to a cache. Most of the caches that are hidden that we have found on our ATVs were place by someone on an ATV, because otherwise they are only accessible by hiking long (more than 5 miles) distances. If you buy an ATV may I suggest you take the ATV safety course offered by most sellers of new ATVs. The class really helps you to learn about your new ATV and your abilities to control it. (We are a Fireman and ER nurse, we see too many fatalities related to ATVs.) Public safety message done..... :( Have a wonderful time caching.

My wife and I ride ATVs. I have been out and found an Earthcache on my ATV. I placed a cache from my ATV but it snowed before it could be found and I am still waiting for the snow to melt. After I hid the cache I found that there are several others in the area and I am waiting for the snow to melt so I can go find them. We just went riding last weekend and there is a cache at the far end down below the dam. I found it on the way home so it wasn't really from my ATV. WX station GCH01D

P1010430.jpg

And are there many geocaches that would be best accessed by an ATV?

All depends on where you live. It seems that in the western US they are fairly common and perfectly legal, so there are plenty of ATV friendly geocaches out there.

In the northeast there are few legal places to ride them, so nearly every rider is breaking the law. Any cache that would encourage their use would be a bad idea.

I'm not sure of the laws in BC, but you might want to check ahead before making the purchase. You don't want to do what the bozos do here in NJ - buy them, then cry when they find there is no place to ride them legally.

Edited by briansnat
And are there many geocaches that would be best accessed by an ATV?

All depends on where you live. It seems that in the western US they are fairly common and perfectly legal, so there are plenty of ATV friendly geocaches out there.

In the northeast there are few legal places to ride them, so nearly every rider is breaking the law. Any cache that would encourage their use would be a bad idea.

I'm not sure of the laws in BC, but you might want to check ahead before making the purchase. You don't want to do what the bozos do here in NJ - buy them, then cry when they find there is no place to ride them legally.

Basically.New England is the most ATV hating place I've ever seen because of all the Eco-weirdos.Still not going to stop me from buying one.We can still leagally ride on frozen lakes(Handy during Ice fishing),and there are clubs that have trails on private property that you can ride on after becoming a member.There's more advantages to having a sled than a wheeler around my neck o' the woods.I could ride from my house to Maine and Canada on a sled.I don't think it's very fair,but I choose to live here so I have to accept it.I WISH I could cache off a wheeler!

Here in Iraq we've got a Polaris MV-7.Awsome machine.Pricey and heavy,but I want one.Thing is a workhorse.Cool digital camo paint job by me.It was green and black.Civilian version doesn't come with the roll bar ,M-16 rack or the tow bar.How could you go wrong with dual winches and tanks?

MSRP only $10-13,000. :D:P:D:D<_<:P:P;):)

IMGA1089.jpg

We have two Yamaha Kodiaks, we were ATV'ing before caching. Found out about caching when I got my 60CSX. Now we don't just go for rides for sake of going for rides, we now go after caches. Totally enjoy caching on our ATV's. Can bring lunch and drinks, camera and even camping gear if need be. Our furthest cache run has been 204kms return trip by ATV. I've placed many of my caches on ATV, and plan to place some far away ones in the future. The places you can get to are awesome where I live. The bonus is I usually leave on ATV right from my home. Also great for those island caches during the winter months.

72c4e9cc-4f17-4ab7-b8e0-161071f28de3.jpg

I guess you could say I found out about caching because of my atv. I bought my Rancher in nov. It doesn't have a speedo or odometer so I bought a Etrex for that purpose. In learning to use it I found out about caching. Now I have to hobbies that burn gas. LOL

Not too many caches down our way that are ATV friendly but we have found a few (less than 10). These were on trails that pretty much stay muddy so for us, a 4x4 model was definitely the way to go. I researched and priced the different makes and models then finally ended getting the Suzuki 400 Eiger 4x4. It doesn't have the ground clearance that the Polaris and Arctic Cat do but it weighs less which was something i was looking for. It definitely gets the job done!

This is one of the caches we found in Siecke State Forest where ATV use is prominent.

261eb856-31cb-48a0-a628-e02f990a28d4.jpg

We have two Yamaha Kodiaks, we were ATV'ing before caching. Found out about caching when I got my 60CSX. Now we don't just go for rides for sake of going for rides, we now go after caches. Totally enjoy caching on our ATV's. Can bring lunch and drinks, camera and even camping gear if need be. Our furthest cache run has been 204kms return trip by ATV. I've placed many of my caches on ATV, and plan to place some far away ones in the future. The places you can get to are awesome where I live. The bonus is I usually leave on ATV right from my home. Also great for those island caches during the winter months.

72c4e9cc-4f17-4ab7-b8e0-161071f28de3.jpg

OHHHH, im envious! ;)

Not too many caches down our way that are ATV friendly but we have found a few (less than 10). These were on trails that pretty much stay muddy so for us, a 4x4 model was definitely the way to go. I researched and priced the different makes and models then finally ended getting the Suzuki 400 Eiger 4x4. It doesn't have the ground clearance that the Polaris and Arctic Cat do but it weighs less which was something i was looking for. It definitely gets the job done!

This is one of the caches we found in Siecke State Forest where ATV use is prominent.

I was looking at those too.I think I liked the suzuki vinson better,only because it's got the manual tranny.

Might want to consider renting. When I was in Quartzsite I did that. Also I am heading for the Yuma area next winter to cache in the sand dunes and will rent. It might seem expensive but if you consider you are going to spend at least $5000 for a good new one and probably at least half of that for used plus factor in how much you will actually use it (or will it end up sitting in the garage next to your also unused Bowflex) it works out. Plus no maintenance cost or repairs to do.

there is only 1 ATV cache within 100 miles of me- but i havent got to try it yet-

the day I set out to find it, I blew a trailer tire, had no spare- called in help. New spare on, got another 1.5

miles and blew the other- by the time I got everything fixed and rolling again, we headed back home.

Its on the list for this summer tho-

I have a Honda 450 Foreman ES 4X4 -

There appear to be plenty of ATV friendly caches in Arizona. I'd like my wife and I both to partake in the experience but she does not want to drive one, therefore, I'm looking at 2 seaters with the Can-Am Outlander 500 being at the top of that list. So far I've not seen anyone mention this brand.

Here where I live in Southeastern Kentucky, I am working with a local ATV club establishing some trails. So far I have two caches placed on them that are ATV friendly, but are still in places were people with automobiles can reach them. When the trails getting closer to an "official" opening I plan on putting a few more out to be found by ATVer's looking for a little something extra to do along their ride.

So far, I have a couple of people from the ATV club interested in hunting for some of them. They have already bought GPSr's and found their first couple. The more people hear about it, the more they want to try it out.

It's a great thing to have an ATV, a GPS, and get to combine the two together and do some geocaching while riding an ATV.

I was looking at those too.I think I liked the suzuki vinson better,only because it's got the manual tranny.

I wanted the manual too and it's got it! I looked at the Vinson and really liked it too but the price difference between the two made up my mind on that. ;)

There appear to be plenty of ATV friendly caches in Arizona. I'd like my wife and I both to partake in the experience but she does not want to drive one, therefore, I'm looking at 2 seaters with the Can-Am Outlander 500 being at the top of that list. So far I've not seen anyone mention this brand.

I'm thinking that she will love riding if she ever gives it a try. My wife has been ATVing for years and she really enjoys riding her own. Not sure why but she says i get a little too wild on mine! ;)

There was a thread posted on the forum quite some time ago about ATV use while caching. The big issue in that thread was knuckleheads that don't obey the rules, and bulldoze there way to the cache. The trail of destruction, including the easy to follow trail, directly to the cache, was an issue for most posters. I'm all for using a quad but, keep them on the trails.

There was a thread posted on the forum quite some time ago about ATV use while caching. The big issue in that thread was knuckleheads that don't obey the rules, and bulldoze there way to the cache. The trail of destruction, including the easy to follow trail, directly to the cache, was an issue for most posters. I'm all for using a quad but, keep them on the trails.

Agreed, I want an ATV to allow me to travel the dirt back roads and trails to a place to then hike to the cache. If I wanted park and grab caches I'd do urban ones. While many here have 4X4 Jeeps and trucks I don't want to subject my main mode of transportation to the hazards of the back country. I'd rather park the truck and trailer, back off the ATV and then hit the trail. Worst case scenario I trash the ATV, walk back to the truck and drive home.

So far I've not seen anyone mention this brand.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised as well. I'd love to have an ATV, but budget and priorities dictate otherwise. A powerboat is higher on our list after selling the SeaDoo--and that's primarily why I'm interested in the Can-Am. Both are made by Bombardier. I was really impressed with the engineering of the SeaDoo. When I started researching for an ATV I looked at those as well. I must say the Outlander 800 rocks!

But, alas, an ATV very well be a pipe dream. Both the wife and I ride motorcycles. Here are our present rides.

5e3b39c6-28d5-4846-9543-05e288c3bbe0.jpg

Obviously the blue one can't keep up with the red one, but another KLR650 is a lot more likely than an ATV.

True, a bike is not as stable or has the same grunt and slogging abilities, but we can ride it there and back, go a lot further on the trail without worrying about having to backtrack to the truck.

Bike vs ATV? I don't know. Both have their advantages. I guess if I could have only one or the other, I think I'd prefer the bike.

Oh, yes, we cache on our bikes.

Haven't been able to find a cache to take my ATV to yet, but I'd like to. My area has little to no areas to ride outside clubs or fee areas. There is a single cache in one of those areas, but it's hardly worth the trouble to pack it up to take it there.

I use a 1985 Honda 250ES "Big Red" 3-Wheeler. I have my own trails and a neighbor lets me on his land as well. I can mount my GPS on the handlebars, and I installed a 12v plug for power.

hondaatc8ls.jpg

As BrianSnat points out, there are very few places in New Jersey where the use of ATVs is permitted. Two ATV parks, and private property with the permission of the land owner. I mantain a trail in Wawayanda State Park where ATVs are strictly prohibited, and bikes are permitted only on selected trails. Doesn't seem to stop anyone. And ATVs will ruin a trail very quickly.

Haven't been able to find a cache to take my ATV to yet, but I'd like to. My area has little to no areas to ride outside clubs or fee areas. There is a single cache in one of those areas, but it's hardly worth the trouble to pack it up to take it there.

I use a 1985 Honda 250ES "Big Red" 3-Wheeler. I have my own trails and a neighbor lets me on his land as well. I can mount my GPS on the handlebars, and I installed a 12v plug for power.

hondaatc8ls.jpg

A classic! :rolleyes:

hondaatc8ls.jpg

A classic! :D

:rolleyes:

I've got one of those old girl sitting at home.Same one actually.Yours is in better condition though.

I wanted the manual too and it's got it! I looked at the Vinson and really liked it too but the price difference between the two made up my mind on that. :rolleyes:

I should've mentioned it's the only 500cc wheeler you can find with a manual tranny.Look around.I did.Everything has to be smater than you.God forbid someone actually would WANT to perform a fuction on a machine.Thats why I favor the polaris.It's auto tranny,but little electronic controls.

I should've mentioned it's the only 500cc wheeler you can find with a manual tranny.Look around.I did.Everything has to be smater than you.God forbid someone actually would WANT to perform a fuction on a machine.Thats why I favor the polaris.It's auto tranny,but little electronic controls.

Once again, i agree. Seems most everything is becoming more sophisticated, making it apt to having more problems and being harder to repair. I will admit that there have been a couple of times when an automatic would have been nice but i really enjoy running through the gears on the manual and i feel better thinking that it has less chance of developing problems down the road.

Once again, i agree. Seems most everything is becoming more sophisticated, making it apt to having more problems and being harder to repair. I will admit that there have been a couple of times when an automatic would have been nice but i really enjoy running through the gears on the manual and i feel better thinking that it has less chance of developing problems down the road.

Precisely.I will tell the machine what gear to be in,not it tells me.Same reason I'll never own an auto tranny pickup.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled atv for geocaching thread.

The kodiaks are awesome bikes, I love the automatic, the push button 4x4 and it has a lighter plugin, so the GPS only uses the batteries when i'm off the bike looking for the cache.

I loved the old Big Reds, had a 1983 Honda 200 and an 86 200x back in the 80's.

I'm looking at 2 seaters with the Can-Am Outlander 500 being at the top of that list. So far I've not seen anyone mention this brand.

I can recommend the Can-Am very highly. Although I haven't tried the 2-seater (Max), I did use a 400 Outlander for a few years and recently upgraded to the 800. Fuel injection, auto-locking differentials, superb suspension, the instant-response AUTOMATIC transmission and overall quality were the reasons I chose Bombardier.

Living near eastern Utah and the Moab area, there are perhaps 80 caches that are best reached by ATV. Since I usually cache alone, and travelling 10-30 miles away from my car, my first concern is reliability. I NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE IT BACK.

I think the Can-Am Outlander MAX would be a good choice for a 2-seater. But I would highly recommend the 800cc model over anything less. Using the auto-transmission, you may never need all the power. In most cases you forget you have it. But in that one instant you might need it, it's there for you.

And as previously mentioned, certainly make use of the FREE ATV safety riding course offerred by Bombardier. You learn/reinforce ATV safety, and they pay you $100 too!

And as previously mentioned, certainly make use of the FREE ATV safety riding course offerred by Bombardier. You learn/reinforce ATV safety, and they pay you $100 too!

By all means, be sure to do this as i think most, if not all, the ATV manufaturers offer it. I had been riding for several years before i ever took the class but still decided to take it when i bought the Suzuki last year. It turned out to be informative, fun, and is required for getting into some of the ATV designated areas around here. Also, buying the one bike enabled me to register two additional persons for the class with no additional charge. :D