76csx HOW DID I LOSE MY MAPS?

:( Okay, everything was fine one day, next maps are gone! :( I had loaded Mapsource a long time ago, when I first got the unit. I am not sure what happened to the maps for my area. We went out of town and I reloaded maps for northern WI. Some roads showed up, some did not - just assumed perhaps the program was not up to date - but it did seem like a lot were missing.

Questions:

Does anyone know how that could have happened or is happening?

How much data can a 76 csx hold anyways - a whole state?

Why do I now have a round circle around my black arrow on the map screen that gets bigger and then smaller, etc...

My user guide was not much help so I am looking to some people familiar with the unit for some help. Thank you.!

The most common error is that when you add map segments, you must reselect and reload all the previous maps you want to keep as well. Each map upload completely erases the previous upload.

The black circle is an indicator of the accuracy. In theory, your actual position is somewhere inside that circle. If you turn on the Lock-to-Roads feature, you will not see the circle.

Edited by Glenn W

That is great to know! Part of the problem is that this happened PRIOR to my loading the maps for northern WI. I also never had the circle around the black arrow before, does that have something to do with projecting a waypoint?

I guess if I knew the 76csx could hold the entire state, I would just load the whole darn thing.

See my edit above regarding the circle

You can easily fit all of the CityNavigator v8 roads for the entire state of Wisconsin on the stock 128MB card with lots of room to spare. You can even load all of the Wisconsin 1:100,000 topo maps as well.

Note: make sure all of your Mapsource software and GPS firmware are up to date. I just remembered that there was some type of flaw in the way the older software compiles the maps for one of the northern midwest states. I don't remember the details.

That is great to know! Part of the problem is that this happened PRIOR to my loading the maps for northern WI. I also never had the circle around the black arrow before, does that have something to do with projecting a waypoint?

I guess if I knew the 76csx could hold the entire state, I would just load the whole darn thing.

In Mapsource, click the Maps tab in the left pane. Then as you select your maps, they will be listed in this pane. At the bottom of the pane, you will see the total size of the maps you have selected.