getting ready to set out my first cache

Airhead-kb

I have a cammo painted ammo can with a Geocache decal on it, a 'you found it' sticker inside it.

The decal has a space for the cache number

The can has a log book, a ftf prize ($2 bill) and a bunch of new toys.

I've eyeballed the area that I want to put the cache in. Small city park. (no approval needed? there are several in other small parks in the neighborhood.)

NOW (as I understand it)

place the cache, log the position on GPSr, fill out the form and wait for approval?

Once the cache is approved (hopefully...) I then have a GC number to go back and put on my cache before the FTF guys flock to it.

You're supposed to go back and put a number on it? I never have and all seems fine. Also, mine have all been found before I knew they were approved. There are a few local cachers that get stuff sent to their phone or PDA or what have you. It's so fun to see your cache get found! Have fun.

You can get the GC number first if you go ahead and create your cache page and Uncheck the box where it states the cache is Active. Around here, the FTF Race is so competitive, you won't have time to get out there before the first cachers arrive on the scene . . . :( :(

Have you found all the other caches in the area? If so, put those coordinates in your GPSr so you can make sure your cache is at least .1 away from the others, then you have to hope their isn't a Puzzle cache you haven't figured out hidden there . . . :ph34r: That's a problem I would have . . . :(

Some people don't put the waypoint number on their caches. I like having the number on it because it helps me keep them straight.

You can get the number in advance of placing you cache by creating the cache page, but unchecking the box that says whether or not the cache is ready. Then you can put the number with the cache and then submit the page.

Edit: Too slow! :(

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Some people don't put the waypoint number on their caches. I like having the number on it because it helps me keep them straight.

It also helps muggles to identify which cache they have found. Especially if it is a land manager or something along those lines.

Make sure to have permission. Just because there are other caches in the same park area does not mean that you can skip that. Part of the guidelines reads:

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches.

Sounds like you are doing your homework. Thanks for making another cache for us to go find!