Google Maps Street View !

Peripherally related to geocaching, but this is awesome!

Google Maps now has a feature which gives you 360 degree photos at street level. For every inch of every street, in some areas of SF.

Article: http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/05/...0_google_2.html

Direct link to demo area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...6966638948982,0

Perhaps you could spot one of the caches in the area using the 'street view'... Or solve puzzle caches with it, without having to go to the site :D

The gc.com google maps browser does not implement the 'street view' button. It would be awesome if it did.

Edited by benh57

Can we get StreetView in the google map setup shown from Geocaching.com?

It's a lot of trouble to copy coordinates over to Google Maps and then select streetview.

When will geocaching.com start providing altitude with the coordinates?

When will geocaching.com start listing the GPS accuracy reading of the posted coordinates?

Thanks!

Can we get StreetView in the google map setup shown from Geocaching.com?

It's a lot of trouble to copy coordinates over to Google Maps and then select streetview.

When will geocaching.com start providing altitude with the coordinates?

When will geocaching.com start listing the GPS accuracy reading of the posted coordinates?

Thanks!

There's no need to copy any coordinates to use the Street Views. Simply use the Google Maps link on the cache page in the "For online maps..." section. Hit the little yellow guy on the top of the zoom slider to switch to Street View mode.

Why would you need altititude, and how could they possibly say what your GPS accuracy will be the day you get there?

There's no need to copy any coordinates to use the Street Views. Simply use the Google Maps link on the cache page in the "For online maps..." section. Hit the little yellow guy on the top of the zoom slider to switch to Street View mode.

Why would you need altititude, and how could they possibly say what your GPS accuracy will be the day you get there?

When I view one of these maps, I'd like to be able to get StreetView directly:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;lng=-87.062583

Many GPS's calculate an "accuracy" when determining their location. Under heavy trees mine sometimes shows readings as poor as "50 ft." Meaning that the GPS is only confident that it knows the proper location within 50 ft. But in good weather, with a favorable satellite constellation overhead, it will show a 10 ft. accuracy. It would be nice know know how well the GPS was working for the guy who posted the coordinates. If his coordinate has a 50 ft. accuracy, I'll need to search a much wider area. If his coordinate has a higher confidence level, the search area is much smaller. Accuracy of the reading of the cache owner's GPS and my GPS will need to be combined as the square root of the sum of the squares. (That is, if we've both got a 10 ft. accuracy the cache will probably be located within 10 * sqrt(2) from the coordinate I'm reading as ground zero.)

Why not include altitude? Is it on the ground? Is it in a tree? Is it over the side of a cliff? Makes sense to me.

PN

When I view one of these maps, I'd like to be able to get StreetView directly:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;lng=-87.062583

You can, click the cache and it will become centered on the map. Then click the very bottom left where it says google. This will bring up a google maps page where you can click the little yellow guy.

I understand you want to save a step but it works for now.