laptop in the field...

Hello, I have a question that is hard to word. I am wondering if there is a laptop pc data card for wireless internet that i can get either prepay or only for 1 to 2 months. I seen some but you must have a full year or 2 year term contract. I would only need it for about 1 1/2 to 2 months. This would let me search for caches when I am "camping" where there is no real internet access...

Thanks for your help.

If you have dialup, or a cable ISP that has dial up, you can use your cell phone as a modem and dial up your ISP.

You need the right cell phone and your ISP has to have a dial up option. Any air card that you can get would require a service agreement. Plus it normally would not work where you don't get cell phone reception.

It would help to have an uliminted nights and weekends option on your cell phone plan. I'd also cross check your cell phone provider that they let you use your regular mintues when you use yoru cell phone as a modem (they should...but you never know).

hey renegade. i get cell phone reception but i hate the phone first of all. and i dont have a computer cable that is for it. I have a cable for the motorola razor....but that isnt the phone i have.

It's a solution that can work with your cell phone and without the need for a new contract. But you do need the right phone, you also need the phones data kit. Ideally the phone would work wtih USB but it seems Phone makers don't like making it simple.

There may be pre-paid air cards. Plus a pre-paid phone may work (but they tend to be cheap phones and probably not a Modem phone...)

Hello, I have a question that is hard to word. I am wondering if there is a laptop pc data card for wireless internet that i can get either prepay or only for 1 to 2 months. I seen some but you must have a full year or 2 year term contract. I would only need it for about 1 1/2 to 2 months. This would let me search for caches when I am "camping" where there is no real internet access...

Thanks for your help.

Contact your cell-phone provider, people have been using their cell-phoes as modems for a couple of years now. Verizon (the least flexible) has data plans that can be activated on a month to month basis.

The caveat is, you have to have the correct phone (and sometimes laptop) no matter who you're using. Also the set up can be a whole new learning curve all on it's own.

http://www.gomadic.com/comcube-selector.html#

This web-site has some info to get you pointed in the right direction.

Although that specific link is for PDAs, a little poking around on the site can lead towards laptops, and some of the best how-tos regarding configuration, and using a cell as a dial-up modem can save buying a +-$60.00 a month data plan.

well it already has a internal wi fi which is great.... but i wish a panera's or other hot spot was in the middle of the camping area...lol

i gotta check the prepay phones...they been having some good deals around here on them.....buy 2 for almost the price of one

well it already has a internal wi fi which is great.... but i wish a panera's or other hot spot was in the middle of the camping area...lol

i gotta check the prepay phones...they been having some good deals around here on them.....buy 2 for almost the price of one

Most of the KOA's have a wireless net., my wife and I were in contact every night on her trip with the lil girl in the pic. all the way to Ohio and back (National specialty). She got third in her stake AKC lure coursing, and second in her stake ASFA lure coursing, not much love in the conformation ring though (late bloomer?).

Edited by RRLover

Most of the KOA's have a wireless net., my wife and I were in contact every night on her trip with the lil girl in the pic. all the way to Ohio and back (National specialty). She got third in her class lure coursing, not much love in the conformation ring though (late bloomer?).

what's koa?

While we haven't cached while camping yet, we have used the internet on 8 week long trips. First choice is free wi-fi which can usually be found around public buildings. This is so we can use our own computer and makes things a little bit easier.

Second choice is the local public library. Today, due to Federal Government funding, just about any public library, regardless of town size, will usually have free internet access. Most places it is just a case of signing in but sometimes we do have to sign out a form. We can do all of our business in a few minutes.

For caching, we will be doing the same. Create a new pocket query for the area we are interested in, check our mail which by the time we get to the bottom, the new PQ will be available for our download. Drop this on a USB jump drive. Once back to our camper, we will be able to upload into GSAK and be able to do all of the searching and filtering at our leisure.

Granted it isn't as good as being online, but when camping, I don't want to spend hours on a computer anyhow and it'll give me more than enough caches to keep us busy.