Now I can't see how many are watching my caches.

DocDiTTo

G'day

Just checked one of my pages that had yesterday 19 watching it. I also cannot see how many are watching it anymore.

I agree with DocDiTTo that was a nice feature and would like to see it brought back if possible please.

Regards

Andrew

One way to judge how interesting a cache is is by the number of people watching it. The new cache page design seems to have eliminated that number. :D

Please put it back!

Good point about that number.

It did show which caches were "hot" at the moment. I'm not sure why it's gone....

It was always a bogus number before anyway. It only tells you who is watching it, but not how many people have it bookmarked with the notify checkbox selected. At best, it was wrong before.

Whether it was exactly accurate or not, it served a purpose. The larger that particular number, the more interest there was in the cache. Not only does it help point out the more interesting caches, but it lets cache hiders know that people are interested in something they've done. It's a form of feedback that is now missing, and I think feedback is important.

A cache with 1 or two watcher? Eh, standard stuff. A cache with 20? Something to check out. A cache with 50+? There's definitely something going on there.

It was always a bogus number before anyway. It only tells you who is watching it, but not how many people have it bookmarked with the notify checkbox selected. At best, it was wrong before.

I am not sure what your point is. If a cache is watched, you get a notification no? Why is this then a bogus number? How is it being "bookmarked with notify checkbox selected" a better number?

Personally I watch a lot of caches, I have very few bookmarked. I really don't see the need to bookmark caches when I can simply watch them. Does this make my watching the catches bogus? :D

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

I agree that it did tend to give information about how "interesting" a cache was.

Would like to see some form of it back. Maybe something like:

* = 0 watcher and bookmarks

** = 1 to 4

*** = 6 to 10

**** = 11 to 25

***** = 26+

Then some program could jump through and update that once in a while rather then a "live" count........

Best rating system we have for now.

If you search the threads about "who is watching my cache" you should find a thread that Jeremy posted to about removing the number all together.
Can you please just post a link to it?

Yes please. I tried a search but found nothing that jumped out. The suggested search string btw does not work in this system.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

Thanks for the link. The only comment I found from Jeremy was "Because this question crops up so often and its usefulness limited, we'll most likely remove the # of people watching the cache from the page entirely."

Regards

Andrew

I'm sorry to hear that the elimination of the watchlist count was an inadvertent change during the most recent update.

Long-term, I hope that the plan remains as previously discussed: convert the watchlist over to the bookmark list functionality and make just that list available to non-premium members. Then, consider saying on the cache page that "this cache appears on 12 bookmark lists." We would then have an accurate count. And, of course, premium members can choose to make their lists public so that the list is linked from the cache page. Everyone can then see WHY someone is interested in that cache, at the list owner's option.

In the meantime we can continue posting to the monthly forum threads with titles like "how do I find out who's watching my cache."

If geocaching.com is going to remove the displaying of the number of people watching a cache then I'm demanding that they remove the ability to watch a cache. No abitity to see that a cache is being watched = no such thing as watching.

What's next, they will not display that a cache is in some bookmark list, oh oh, i shoiuldn't have given them that idea.

I think the hampsters have too much free time now without having to fight the server issue fires every hour. I think some of the new features are good, but some decisions are downright stupid.

Some how I made that go bye bye. I'll get that working again tomorrow.

Sorry for that.

-Raine

Thank you. There is one very interesting cache here, "Snakes and Ladders" being watched by many people -- some of whom haven't completed, or even attempted the cache yet -- so putting it on their Watchlist makes more sense than putting it on a Bookmark List.

It is on my "Memorable Caches" Bookmark list however. :(