Danger - what won't you touch for a cache?

I noticed a lot of people like to attach cache containers to power boxes, water drains, light posts, sticking them on by magnet in a container that looks like it belongs there. The other day I came across a cache that you had to either be a really good climber or a giraffe to get to it. Last week, I was led to a dirty deserted back road where my GPSr pointed me to a swampy patch of trees -- it looked like someone dumped the contents of their attic in there and I saw a half a snake hanging out of a cracked water pipe.

You never really know how much danger you are getting into when you are hunting for a cache. Suppose the thing on the power box was not a cache container? Should you really pull on it?

I do touch odd knobs on power boxes and light posts and I guess I would climb to get a cache. But I draw the line when it comes to looking for a cache under trash and dead snakes. I mean, there are caches hidden in places where I'm not sure I want to put my hand.

What are your limits? At what point do you say "I'm not going there. It's not worth the danger" ?

What are your limits? At what point do you say "I'm not going there. It's not worth the danger" ?

Usually when the voltage is coursing through my body I decide it wasn't worth it.

I once went down into a cave that had about a 15" diameter opening and a 10' drop to the bottom (though there were places to get a foothold). The cave continued about 30 feet and included a point that was crawling on all fours through another tiny opening. I logged the cache and got out fine but it admittedly wasn't the smartest thing to do alone. Cool cache, though!

I think it is a fine line. Some i can see as being dangerous or too much. Others if put together well, wouldn't bother me. For electrical stuff what i was thinking is that if you have to take apart stuff with tools to search- its a bad idea. Here is one that we did that i thought was especially cool. It did have a geocaching sticker on the side of the box which gave it away though.

hpim0230bl7.jpg

hpim0231ma7.jpg

I think it is a fine line. Some i can see as being dangerous or too much. Others if put together well, wouldn't bother me. For electrical stuff what i was thinking is that if you have to take apart stuff with tools to search- its a bad idea. Here is one that we did that i thought was especially cool. It did have a geocaching sticker on the side of the box which gave it away though.

OMG, that is exactly what I mean! How would you know if it's okay to open that? In your case there was a sign. But I see many that have no indication until you open it.

:blink: You have to admit, that WAS pretty clever.

OMG, that is exactly what I mean! How would you know if it's okay to open that? In your case there was a sign. But I see many that have no indication until you open it.

:blink: You have to admit, that WAS pretty clever.

Couple of things...

- The Geocache sticker on the side.

- The flexible conduit under the cache went nowhere. (It was a dummy end.)

- The cover plate is meant for inside use only and it was outside.

- It was not an electrical outlet but a light sensor switch (couldnt get hurt touching it)

- Upon getting there it easily opened and no tools were needed.

If a screwdriver was necessary then i would have not touched it. I liked the hide. Very cool. Its been there for a couple of years i think.

:D You have to admit, that WAS pretty clever.

I've seen that one too. In my opinion, in the absence of geocaching sticker real bad idea, no matter how clever. Bad precedent to set that electrical equipment should be openned in search of a cache. Same with fake sprinkler heads, as I have seen vandalized heads near cache sites, which very may well have the work of cachers.

hpim0230bl7.jpg

I must express my shock and outrage that there is a child with a sandwich so near a geocache! Don’t you know that food isn’t allowed in a geocache? Crumbs could fall into the container and attract rodents that will chew their way inside the box, waiting in hungry rage for the next finder to come along and open it, then vault from the container into the face of the unsuspecting geocacher, where they’ll chew through an eye until they reach the brain, then assume control of the host body. Then you’ll have trouble, big trouble.

You never really know how much danger you are getting into when you are hunting for a cache. Suppose the thing on the power box was not a cache container? Should you really pull on it?

Have you found a PVC pipe bomb yet?

Great. Now I'm going to have to tweak my mental image of you. Note to self: Knight2000 has cute kids, but still has that slightly disturbing avitar....

...What are your limits? At what point do you say "I'm not going there. It's not worth the danger" ?

When I feel that I'm in danger. There are trees that can't support my weight. I don't climb those. Sometimest here is a rock climb that is beyond my comfort level. I don't do those either. So far that's about all I have encountered that had a limit issue.

Snakes - I will NEVER touch a snake to get a cache. I'm always nervous when a cache is in a crevice or small caves (this is the result of my 3 brothers scaring me with a snake when I was 10 - I guess I will never get over it). I see so many snakes on the trails and on/around the rock formations (I just want to run away every time I see one). I always use a really really really long stick to make sure there's not a snake in the rocks before I go for the cache. :D

I encountered a multi cache about a month ago that required me to stick my hand and arm up to my elbow inside a hole in a tree to recieve the first set of coordinates. This might not seem dangerous to some cachers, but I am highly allergic to bee's and the thought did cross my mind before I stuck my hand in there. :D

I have also seen photos of fake bee's nests that are actually the hidden cache. I don't think I would take the chance to find out if it was real or not. :D

I do not touch sprinkler heads, nor real plumbing, nor fake plumbing, nor any real live electrical transformer boxes, distribution boxes, switchboxes or fuseboxes, nor anything near them. Period. Why? These are not only distasteful placements but also overly dangerous in terms of risk. As for lamp posts, I avoid most of them, and will occasionally -- perhaps once per year -- go for a lamppost cache, so long as I am not wet and standing in a puddle. Oh, and I never reach inside anything -- including the hollows of lamp posts -- which contains wires.

However, I will slither among rattlesnakes, spiders and crawly insects, will climb precarious ladders, will crawl many hundreds or thousands of feet inside caves or storm drains, will brave cold rough waters in a kayak (while wearing suitable protective gear and a PFD), will climb cliffs using gear, will descend cliffs using climbing/descent gear, and I will hover in a helicopter a few feet above a one hundred foot tall sheer vertical stone pier in the middle of a violent river in order to place or find/retrieve a cache. I will even enter West Virginia to place or find a cache. Why? These are situations which present only very sane, manageable and reasonable risks.

Great. Now I'm going to have to tweak my mental image of you. Note to self: Knight2000 has cute kids, but still has that slightly disturbing avitar....

:D:D Although we love Judge Judy i'll switch to my kids for a while. LOL. Now thats really throwing you a curveball!

I do feel some caches are placed in unsafe scenarios, If you are at a cache and do not feel safe, it is better to dnf for sure. I was at geowoodstock and we cached one that was a fake electrical cable. I wouldn't have even attempted to touch it with the exception that my crew was dumb enough to go for it first.

:D;) Although we love Judge Judy i'll switch to my kids for a while. LOL. Now thats really throwing you a curveball!

That reminds me....it's only 3 minutes to Wapner... :D

Let's see what I've done:

Various Electrical box caches, yep

Sprinkler caches, yep,

Snake caches, yep,

Pile of Carp cache, yep,

Cliff-hanger cache, yep,

20 foot crawl into a NASTY culvert cache, yep,

Alligator/Snake/Panther infested swamp caches, yep,

Spider/Chigger/Tick infested area caches, yep,

Tree-climbing caches, yep,

Underwater caches, yep,

Homeless camp caches, yep,

Urban alleyway caches, yep,

Police/Fire Station caches, yep,

High bridge caches, yep,

Busy streetcorner caches, yep,

Dumpster/Garbage can caches, yep,

Mysterious looking Cammo'd PVC pipe caches, yep.

The only ones that really put me off are:

FRONT YARD CACHES!

Edited by Gator Man

Snakes - I will NEVER touch a snake to get a cache. I'm always nervous when a cache is in a crevice or small caves (this is the result of my 3 brothers scaring me with a snake when I was 10 - I guess I will never get over it). I see so many snakes on the trails and on/around the rock formations (I just want to run away every time I see one). I always use a really really really long stick to make sure there's not a snake in the rocks before I go for the cache. :D

Dont go caching with this guy then!

Snakes - I will NEVER touch a snake to get a cache.

I wouldn't touch a snake, but I have found a foolproof method of getting them to slither off into the brush. All I have to do is reach for my camera, and off they go, never to be seen again. :D

Now bees ... I won't mess with bees.

I am only interested in caches in the woods, so electrical equiptment is really not an issue. The one thing that I will abandon a cache for is shifty looking men hiding in the bushes.

:D

Shifty looking men in the bushes might be busy. I wait till they get back on the path.

I am only interested in caches in the woods, so electrical equiptment is really not an issue. The one thing that I will abandon a cache for is shifty looking men hiding in the bushes.

;)

Shifty looking men in the bushes might be busy. I wait till they get back on the path.

We're usually just waiting for something fun to happen. :D

Electrical boxes-yes

sprinkler heads/plumbing-yes

lampposts-yes

tree holes-yes

hornet's nest-yes

rusty junk in the woods-yes

tree climbers-yes

ivy/tick/chigger filled woods-yes

swamps-yes

snakes-yes

swamps with snakes-yes

the blue butt of a mandrill-no way

shifty men in the woods-won't touch them, but have no problems walking right past them

Edited by wimseyguy

I just turned down a complete trail over taken by nasty man eating briars. I usually take snips and deal with them as if in a war but this was too much!

Very careful sticking my hands in holes. Ususally won't do it. I've seen reluse spider bytes and snakes and little rodents.

Will not get too risky if a bad fall could result. Don't like steep really loose surface. I keep losing skin.

I take wet ones along to clean briar scratches - probably need something better.

Over the year's I think I have only walked away from several that tweaked my comfort zone. A few examples:

Garbage strewn brackish green water buzzing with bugs - cache was under a bridge and clue made it clear that wading should be involved. Most previous finders had waited until Winter ice.

Tool/valve box in the middle of a city park. I refused to look through it - owner later confirmed it was placed under a board at the bottom (no permission).

Placed about 25 foot up in a tree in public park. I am about 6' 3" and about 250lbs - too much for the limbs in my estimation.

Arrived at the scene and saw that it had been used over the years as a place to dump household trash (beds, appliances, old clothes, broken furniture, etc) - no thanks.

Couple of things...

- The Geocache sticker on the side.

- The flexible conduit under the cache went nowhere. (It was a dummy end.)

- The cover plate is meant for inside use only and it was outside.

- It was not an electrical outlet but a light sensor switch (couldnt get hurt touching it)

- Upon getting there it easily opened and no tools were needed.

If a screwdriver was necessary then i would have not touched it. I liked the hide. Very cool. Its been there for a couple of years i think.

I think you had reasonable criteria there.

I've seen a questionable cache here and there and tend to take a similar view of things. I use my head, check it out first without touching and see if there's anything that clearly tells me this is the cache, and if in any doubt at all I'll walk away and take the DNF. A good hider will usually put something on there indicating the cache for those who are actually looking. Some sublte signs I've seen were a small geocaching symbol, initials of the cache name, even the GC code marked somewhere just out of obvious view but visible to a cacher.

Like I said though, regardless of the hide... if in doubt, don't. There's no shame in a DNF. :(

I havn't taken a pass on very many caches, but yesterday a new one popped up about 5 miles from the house. I shook off leaving for work early to grab it (I've done that), but only because it was in the wrong direction. After I got home for the evening I headed up after it, still no find on GC.com. I get there, and it is clear to me that it is in an upright pipe on a street corner. I cracked open the hint which verified the placement. The cover consisted of a dirty pop bottle (soda bottle for the rest of you) upside down, floating on about a foot of nasty looking standing water. I didn't have elbow length rubber gloves with me, and I had absolutely no intention of putting a hand down in there. I fished around with a stick, hoping the cache might come to the surface, but finally left in disgust. When I got home, not an hour after checking the thing and loading it into the GPS it was disabled. Somebody else must have found it inapppropriate before me.

Snakes probably no problem. Spiders will die. Critters except skunks tend to run off, but that scummy water just looked like typhoid or polio or some darn thing to me.

hairball